This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawnmower repair part insanity

One from yesterday...and it's a bit of a mixture.

While I was doing some minor repairs around the house, I got a call from my mother. Seems she was in a tizzy because her lawn mower's wheel came off. Dropped what I was doing, drove down there, and took a look at it. Not only had the rear wheel come off, but the stub axle (basically a long bolt) had sheared off Naturally, I got the snapped bit out of the chassis, then drove to the shop for a replacement. I figured, it was a Honda, the shop sold Honda mowers, so it should be easy.

...or so I thought! I waited my turn in line, and things went downhill from there. Seems the woman at the register wouldn't even attempt to look up what I needed, unless I had the serial number, model number, and the date of manufacture. Seriously? Even with the computer there, she wouldn't attempt the lookup, or even use the data off one of their display mowers. I could have understood if it was an engine part, but a standard stub axle? She didn't even bother, just said "I can't help you."

As I was heading to leave, one of the older employees had overheard the conversation, and helped me out. He was already dealing with 8 different people (vendors, people picking up repaired products, and customers), but took a break to look up what I needed. 30 seconds, and I was out the door a happy customer. I could tell he was irritated with her, but he got me what I needed, and saved my mother's sanity.

Before I left though, I mentioned that it was a true shame how some people are truly lost without everything being handed to them. I mean the guy was busy, but he took 30 seconds to help me, and all I told him that I needed a stub axle for a mower with a steel deck. He agreed, and said that he'd have a little chat with her after I left.

Found out later that the guy was the owner. Guess who will be getting my business from now on?
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Had the same issue with a large gun manufacture, Some of their single shot take interchangeable bbls. Got a shotgun/.22 combo and the customer wanted to see if I could get one in a caliber good for hunting. I call the dealer line, woman won't tell me shit unless I had the serial #. Ok takes a week to get it from him because he's out of town, getting close it hunting time, call them again. This time doesn't care about it, nope no way unless it's X type will the newer Y bbls work. WTF couldn't you said that last week? I jointed several other dealers blowing up their FB.
    Plus side I had to scramble but I didn't lose the deposit and made a few $ more finding a whole other gun for him.
    AkaiKitsune
    Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

There is NO substitute for the breadth of knowledge a long time employee/owner/practitioner has when they're an intelligent person with a good attitude! It's just amazing how helpful they can be all across the board.

Comment

Working...
      X