Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I, apparantly, am everything wrong with this country!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Mark Healey View Post
    Do you have a link to the actual law. I'd love to be able to cite it to people.
    I don't have a link (sorry, I'm sick, and don't feel like exercising my Google-fu), but the regulation in question is the Supermarket Club Card Disclosure Act of 1999.

... ok, I lied. Here's the scoop from FindLaw.

Reading through the code, it basically states that they can't ask for a drivers license number or social security number for any card that is not also a form of ID for check writing. And that they must have a non-ID version available for those who don't want to provide that information.

It also states that they cannot give anyone else your info unless they are a members-only establishment with annual renewal fees, or it is solely for the purpose of sending out mailers for the specific establishment.

So, they can probably require your address and phone number, but most of the places I've shopped have also allowed people to leave the form almost completely blank.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
      Damnation. Again I look the part of the crackpot.

Yes, this is being done. Various government agencies are actively working on getting cameras down to that size. See these links (the first ones I could fine).

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2007/10/14/113631/47
      http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&q=...b=wn&scoring=n
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4808342.stm
      http://www.theage.com.au/news/techno...696133271.html

Your specific friend was likely a loonball. Unfortunately, that's not always the case.
      Well, my specific friend was very high. I do believe that they can make cameras that small, but to attach them to flies???? Then they'd have to train the flies, or just make mechanical flies??? Who knows.
      "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
        Well, my specific friend was very high. I do believe that they can make cameras that small, but to attach them to flies???? Then they'd have to train the flies, or just make mechanical flies??? Who knows.
        Actually, one of the articles has a picture of a mechanical fly which is about the size of a fingertip. Others mention large dragonflies which look to be entirely mechanical in nature.

As for training flies, no, they wouldn't have to do that. One of the tactics that could be pursued is to simply remove the head, and replace it with a mechanical device. After that, you now have control of the bug.

And yes, all of that research is being worked on and can be read about. I'll leave it to you to google the research papers if you wish.

Comment

Quoth InsanityInc View Post
          Isn't paranoia fun?

My ex-husband's father introduced me to some "friends" of his. The woman proceded to tell me that clouds weren't clouds, they were some type of spy plane for the gov't, and the reason the DMV offered to let you take your glasses off for a ID picture was because they were doing a retinal scan. I stayed real polite, and got the h*ll away from her and her hubby as fast as I could.
          That's nothing. A dozen years ago, my littlest sister contracted lupus which subsequently attacked her kidney. She had a few years of very bad health but is now in remission and healthier than me.

Anyhoo, her dad (my stepfather) is a complete and utterly moronic alcoholic dickhead who also happens to be of Eastern European persuasion.

He used to tell my sister that another EE nutritionist friend of his said the reason that my sister contracted lupus is because she liked to play with her pet chihuahua and they apparently gave her lupus.

Idiot
          Total surrender
          Your touch is so tender
          Your skin is like water on a burning beach
          And it brings me relief
          "Nails in My Feet" - Crowded House

Comment

Quoth jacxnomore View Post
            Thanks for the welcomes!!!

The part that struck me as funny about the whole deal was that the guy had a really thick Aussie accent. So he was either a newly naturalized citizen who had taken his "responsibilities" as a new citizen waaay to seriously, or he was a foreigner bitching about things that have nothing to do with him.

During his whole diatribe I just wanted to tell him...
            "You do realize that no matter how careful you are about who might have your information, everything about you, including all of your financial history, all of your medical records and just about anything you can think of, is on a computer somewhere and if a talented hacker so desires it can be all his in a matter of moments. Now that is something to be paranoid about, not whether Staples is going to sell the information that you just paid for a 2 page fax and bought a ream of cheap copy paper."
            As a fellow Australian, I can tell you it was probably the one about the guy bitching about things that have nothing to do with him.

It was probably all part of the whole "Bloody-Yanks-Taking-Over-The-World" rant. It happens more often than you think.

Personally, I love the US. I would sell my own mother to get a green card. Actually, I'd sell my own mother for a chocolate bar most days, but you get the idea
            Total surrender
            Your touch is so tender
            Your skin is like water on a burning beach
            And it brings me relief
            "Nails in My Feet" - Crowded House

Comment

Quoth Killer Bees View Post
              As a fellow Australian, I can tell you it was probably the one about the guy bitching about things that have nothing to do with him.

It was probably all part of the whole "Bloody-Yanks-Taking-Over-The-World" rant. It happens more often than you think.

Personally, I love the US. I would sell my own mother to get a green card. Actually, I'd sell my own mother for a chocolate bar most days, but you get the idea
              You might change your mind when you see what we Yanks did to Temptation. *shudder*
              "Well, ergo cogitum daltitum e pluribus shut your piehole." -Mike Rowe

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                I've noticed that they tend to give you coupons for brands other than the one you bought;
                e.g., I've bought Hershey Kissables and gotten coupons for M&Ms.
                I think they want you to branch out. "Hey, a coupon!! Since I get to save 10 cents on a product I never had any intention of buying before, I'll buy it the once and get millions more every time I buy my favored product again!!"

In other words, yeah, I go through that situation a lot, myself. I seldom, if ever, use those coupons.
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I generally don't care about brands, so I'll get the one with the coupon. But only if the with-coupon price is lower than the normal price for the other brand.

Comment

Considering the past and present of both the DH and I, I'd be very surprised if the government isn't tracking everything about us.

< Primer at the nice Homeland Security people out there reading her posts. >
                    Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                      Sounds like the guy across the street from my parents. Nice enough guy, but some of his "theories" are a bit out there.
                      That sounds like someone I know. Since he moved to TX 3 years ago (no offense to anyone here from Texas) he's been getting weirder and weirder (probably cuz the dude is still unemployed and so has time to devote to his wacky theories).

Debating with him is like walking into an ant-lion trap (try to extricate yourself and he finds some way to drag you in further). He doesn't believe in computerized applications (when looking for work, he would basically laugh in the manager's face and walk right out of stores that used computer kiosks) or credit or background checks. He thinks that a credit rating is the same thing as a credit card (don't ask; I have no idea what he goes on about half the time)
                      Last edited by Dreamstalker; 11-05-2007, 03:08 AM.
                      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
                      X