This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sinking Skyscraper

Yikes! A 58 story skyscraper in San Francisco is sinking and tilting. I know buildings settle, but this seems like too much. I'd be upset if I lived in that building for sure, especially considering the possibility of an earthquake...

Link 1 (more content)

Link 2 (more photos)
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

That's not very bright - areas where the shore was expanded by dumping fill in the Bay are naturally not very stable or load-bearing...

We've got the same problems where I work. There are several office buildings (2-story) that have had extensive foundation work done as they're sinking. They're not on bedrock and the clayey soil is super-saturated with groundwater. Personally I think they're wasting their time and money - they need to tear the buildings down completely, fix the soil for better bearing (difficult if not impossible) or dig down to bedrock. Although you will have basement flooding problems still.

Engineers really need to look out for any sort of problem that might arise at some point. Just because the rules say you don't need to run "X" test or design for "Y" possibility doesn't mean you can ignore it...
    Last edited by eltf177; 10-27-2016, 09:35 PM. Reason: added a "don't"

Comment

Wow, I feel bad for the people who bought those units. They must all be pretty rich but that's still a painful blow.

Comment

Let's hope it doesn't fall through the 4th dimension

Comment

Quoth Mikkel View Post
          Let's hope it doesn't fall through the 4th dimension
          ...And He Built A Crooked House... *is* set in California...
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
            For those unfamiliar with the story, here is a copy.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
              For those unfamiliar with the story, here is a copy.
              That one is good too, but I was thinking of this one .

Comment

One of our more well-known downtown neighborhoods is built almost completely on fill, and a lot of the older brownstones are settling/cracking as the something-hundred-year-old wooden supports under a lot of the buildings get exposed to air by new paving/construction that doesn't allow for proper drainage. Those supports were meant to be completely covered, and I would think it wouldn't be an easy job to shore them up (again) or replace.
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                  One of my all-time favourite stories.
                  Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                  ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Mikkel View Post
                    That one is good too, but I was thinking of this one .
                    A good story. Although as I read it I thought it odd that a skyscraper would be generating electricity from a coal fired facility in the basement, and that so many people in New York City would have hand guns at work. Then I found out the story was written in 1919. How times have changed.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Apparently its sinking fast according to the first post here (Friday computer related fails), four floor disappeared between the headline and the body:

http://thedailywtf.com/articles/going-fast
                      Seph
                      Taur10
                      "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Working...
                      X