Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The most difficult question in the world.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth xlr82xs View Post
    And no, i'm not implying any sort of racial thing with the terseness of speech i assigned to the average customer, 70% of the customers that come in after ~2am and aren't there to play games speak like that, regardless of their nationality
    EMPHASIS MINE

That's because Homo Sapiens Atarius is a naturally nocturnal species, which can function during daylight if forced to, but prefers the dark of night for its active period.
    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

How dare I ask the VIPs if they have a pass, heaven forbid that someone might sneak in to the lot without a pass.

On a side note, today is the home opener for the arena's basketball team, it feels weird to not work it.
      The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Quoth GingerBiscuit View Post
        How dare we ask them if they need a bag?
        What really irritates me is when they finally come to a decision... and then change their mind.

Or the people that are sooo insistant on not getting a receipt. Because apparently their world would come to a flaming end if they had to be in possesion of a small peice of paper stating that they bought a pack of gum.

I had one crazy woman state imediatley that she did not need a receipt. Fabulous, I don't really care. I finish the transaction, and throw away her receipt.

She comes storming back in a few minutes later flailing a receipt around the air shouting "How dare you give me this when I specifically asked you not to!"

I see the receipt, smile, and inform her that it was infact a receipt for the grocery store nextdoor.

Comment

1) I agree--I hate asking customers if they want a bag only because they make it a much bigger deal than it is.

2) "Credit or debit"? Seriously, most people flounder about for a moment when I ask that and then bark back "uh, whatever's easier I guess." To which I have to respond that they're equally "easy" and that it's really their call. WTF? Have people never bought things before with their cards?? I hate that I'm usually the one to make the call...

3) My chain makes us ask every customer his/her zip code, and a lot of times I get blank stares followed by, "uhhh.... I think it's..." Do you not know where you live? Seriously?

4) If someone's paying with cash I always repeat the amount they gave me to make sure it's the correct amount being used, but I always get people who say "yes" to "out of $xx?" and then rummage in their wallets to find random change and think nothing of making me go back and mark the receipt, re-count change/cash, and most likely have to open my till, etc.

So the extremes are the worst--the ones who over-think, and the ones who make decisions in a rush...

Comment

Quoth Listerfiend View Post
            2) "Credit or debit"? Seriously, most people flounder about for a moment when I ask that and then bark back "uh, whatever's easier I guess." To which I have to respond that they're equally "easy" and that it's really their call. WTF? Have people never bought things before with their cards?? I hate that I'm usually the one to make the call...
            Me, I just hit Debit. It's less work for me, since we have a customer swipe-pad, and I don't have to futz with getting a pen or anything, and they're forced to take the time to put their info in as the price for annoying me with the question.
            ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
            And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth Listerfiend View Post
              1)
              3) My chain makes us ask every customer his/her zip code, and a lot of times I get blank stares followed by, "uhhh.... I think it's..." Do you not know where you live? Seriously?
              I've noticed that the zip code gets people EVERY time. I've had people proceed to give me their phone numbers, their social security numbers...their pin numbers. Great fun.

I think a lot of people think it's a security measure, because they are ..."you want the one for the card, or for my work..or what? I don't want to get it wrong!!!". Any 5 digit string of numbers will do. Really, watch....

I only hate the ones who are pissy about it. Like I'm going to be able to track them down with JUST their freakin zip code. "You aren't going to send me a bunch of junk mail are you?" ..."Yes, yes, I AM! Lots of it! And just for YOU!"....

Shut up and say "no", NICELY. I have a special code for that! ;-)

I hate the ones who don't want a bag....until I'm ringing up the next guy, and instead of asking me for one, they TAKE it. Bugs the shit out of me. Mostly because I'm easily annoyed.
              you are = you're. not "your".

Comment

i sometimes get blank stares when i ask people for their phone number. and then i get "ummmm..." dude, seriously?

or my favorite: "can i have your name?"

" what?"

you know, the thing people call you. other than fucking moron.
                Kim: She's got one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.

I'd like to exercise my constitutional right to not give a fuck.

Comment

Quoth simplyanother View Post
                  I've noticed that the zip code gets people EVERY time.
                  That's a requirement on any sale I do, and no one in the store knows why. What's really fun is when a customer pays with a card, we have a machine next to the bags for them to slide their own card. Which we both then have to wait for the register to catch up. And as soon as the card is approved, I ask, "And your zip code?" And, inevitably, everyone will return to the pin pad and try to figure out how to put their zip code in there.
                  "No, no, I need to know, so I can type it in over here..."
                  "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth bigjimaz View Post
                    Wait until your wife asks you if those pants she's wearing make her butt look fat, especially if she is 5' tall and 180 pounds before she put them on. All else fails in comparison.
                    No, of course not, dear. The pants don't make your butt look fat...

Quoth crazylegs View Post
                    Or when she asks you what colour shoes she should wear. (hint, you'll never be right )
                    Black, dear. That's a slimming color, right? (jk on both of these of course, but I am the kind of person who'll tell the truth when asked these kinds of questions... Any wonders why I'm still single?)
                    Last edited by Broomjockey; 11-05-2007, 04:30 PM. Reason: multi-quote is your friend ;)
                    If ignorance is bliss, no wonder I'm so unhappy.

Comment

Quoth donruss View Post
                      "What kind of crust would you like on that?"
                      Oh, that's easy. Stuffed crust. Always.

Quoth JustADude View Post
                      That's because Homo Sapiens Atarius is a naturally nocturnal species, which can function during daylight if forced to, but prefers the dark of night for its active period.
                      Hee... I like.

Quoth JustADude View Post
                      Me, I just hit Debit. It's less work for me, since we have a customer swipe-pad, and I don't have to futz with getting a pen or anything, and they're forced to take the time to put their info in as the price for annoying me with the question.
                      I actually was asked this somewhat recently and I just said "whichever" because it really doesn't matter to me one way or the other. The guy did debit, and it took me several seconds to remember my PIN because it had been more than a month since I'd needed it.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

You know, as a customer, I never have a problem giving a quick answer to questions about whether I want my items bagged, or whether I'll be paying via credit or debit. The only issues I might have is deciding what I want to order at the restaurant. If it's fast food, I stand back and wait until I make a decision, and inform the help that I'm undecided so that I'm not wasting their time. If it's sit down, I just let the server know that I'm browsing the menu, and then wait patiently once I've made a decision. In short, I try to anticipate such questions and communicate my intentions so I'm not wasting everyone's time.

When I'm working, I've become accustomed to leading people by the hand if they seem indecisive. Yes, I'm good at telling others what to do when they seem hesitant because it's the only way to keep some people moving forward and out the door so that I can get on with the rest of my life. For instance, it's definitely not a good idea for a customer to tell me to just pick a lottery ticket for them, then complain that it wasn't what they wanted or that it wasn't a winner. My response will range from an indifferent shrug to being given the "It's your own fault that I did as you requested, so don't blame me," speech.

Yep, indecision is generally only a problem for me when deciding what I want to eat at the restaurant, what movie I want to rent, or something like that. Then, I just try to stay out of everyone's way until I make up my mind.
                        The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Working...
                        X