This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hallelujah!

That is the word that just about every single one of my coworkers is singing, humming, saying, shouting, yelling, screaming, and moaning lately. Because finally, after over a year of utterly disastrous nonsense cause by our new Piece of Shit computer system, which is by far the worst computer system I have ever worked on in over 25 years of working in the food service industry, we are getting the new version of the old computer system we had, which was by far the best computer system I have ever worked on in over 25 years of working in the food service industry.

How bad is the current "new" system that is about to be thrown in the trash where it belongs? This rant from last year pretty much expresses my feelings about it.

Actually, I'm wrong. It doesn't deserve to be thrown in the trash. It deserves to be completely dismantled, never to be seen from or heard from again, and never to torture restaurant or bar employees ever again, and each individual component of the system should be drenched in hydrochloric acid and then burned in the middle of the street, surrounded by donkey turds and rat droppings, and then run over by a twelve ton steam roller. And if there is no such thing as a twelve ton steam roller, one should be invented and built solely for this purpose.

So yeah, Hallefuckinglujah! Just a few more days of working with this raging pile of elephant dung. To quote Nu Shooz, "I Can't Wait!"

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

I remember you talking about the POS POS system. Awesome on finally getting a real system at your bar.
    "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Geeze, I remember reading about the rant about the old system as the only thing I could think of in terms of the installation is what the hell those retards who call themselves technicians were smoking. Rule #1 for an install should always be "ensure the system works as intended before getting it signed off." So thankful the company I work for adheres to that rule if it can (sometimes stuff just refuses to work).
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
        Geeze, I remember reading about the rant about the old system as the only thing I could think of in terms of the installation is what the hell those retards who call themselves technicians were smoking. Rule #1 for an install should always be "ensure the system works as intended before getting it signed off." So thankful the company I work for adheres to that rule if it can (sometimes stuff just refuses to work).

That's amusing.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
          Well, while it has many problems, one of its main problems is that it was designed by computer technicians (apparently really bad ones) who have apparently never worked a day of their lives in a restaurant.

Call me crazy (and many do), but if you are designing a computer system for a restaurant/bar, I would think the best way to do it is to get 1 or 2 talented computer technicians, and 1 or 2 people with considerable experience in the food service industry.

Hell, I would think that would apply to any computer system! If you're making one for a hardware store, I would think you would want the input of someone who has worked in a hardware store; a system for a hospital, someone with medical knowledge; etc., etc., etc.

Yes, this idea is logical and makes sense. And is apparently completely ignored by the people who design many restaurant computer systems, not just the offending jackholes that designed the one my bar is currently cursed with.

Still A Customer."

Comment

I say we think of some other way to get this thing destroyed. Not that I don't think your idea is amusing, Jester, but I wouldn't put it past this forum to come up with sheer brilliance. I say, to start things off, fire it out of a cannon, anyone care to add on? Let's make a game of it...
            Last edited by Eevie; 12-07-2012, 03:09 PM.
            Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

I like firing it out of a mortar. The kind used for huge fireworks. Include it inside one of said fireworks.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                That's amusing.
                Hence the "should be" notice. The IMAC company I work for requires it. If it's not done right, then stay until it is. This has led to many a number of 12 hour days for me.
                I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

Anyone else thinking of this?:

"She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
                  -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

Quoth Eevie View Post
                    I say we think of some other way to get this thing destroyed. Not that I don't think your idea is amusing, Jester, but I wouldn't put it past this forum to come up with sheer brilliance. I say, to start things off, fire it out of a cannon, anyone care to add on? Let's make a game of it...
                    Into a pile of thermite with an iron ball overtop. When the thermite's lit, the ball drops on top of it. The beauty of this is that the iron ball will melt from the thermite and whatever isn't burnt is entombed.
                    I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

Quoth icmedia View Post

I did exactly that with my previous computer's hard drive, but instead of using a bat I used a hammer.
                      Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth icmedia View Post

I was actually thinking exactly that.

Comment

Quoth icmedia View Post
                          Anyone else thinking of this?
                          Pretty much exactly what I've been thinking of.

Sadly, there will be nothing physical to actually destroy. As far as I know, the server is housed in a computer that will be used to house the server of the new system, and the monitors/terminals are basically iPads, which may or may not become available to various staff members. (Yes, I have put my name in the hat for one....)

Still A Customer."

Comment

I once used a saboted round out of a shotgun on a photocopier that was lurking on a friends farm in Kerman ...
                            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                              I once used a saboted round out of a shotgun on a photocopier that was lurking on a friends farm in Kerman ...
                              Kerman, in the golden state?

Comment

Working...
                              X