Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So...apparently I'm being investigated...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So...apparently I'm being investigated...

Because, you know, I'm a complete villain, shady type and all that jazz...

Got this in my spam box!

This letter citatory is meant to inform of file # 93046-3 which is opened and under disquisition with FFIEC following a complaint of your Financial Institution regarding suspect financial activity on your account.
    A hard copy of this subpoena will be delivered to your business address.
    Our institution will forward information to competent government agencies following this formal charge.
    Information and contacts regarding your Occasion file # can be found at

Occasion Number: 93046-3

Observed by
    Federal Financial Institution Examination Council
    James Allen
    ...Can I just say...HUH??

also, bonus points, when I hover my mouse over the links, I get a site called thefullenglish.org.uk/casechk.htm

Thoughts?? I can't even understand it, but if it's a .uk thing, well I've never left the US. Damn, my villainy is global, go me!!

Your evil twin, maybe?

Comment

according to a whois search the website is hosted by http://www.visn.co.uk
      you may want to contact the hosting company and send them the details of the email.

I did that once. I had some email telling me that my ebay account was hosed up and that I had to click "whatever link" to get it fixed. When I hovered over the link, I saw that it REALLY pointed to whatevercollege.edu/studentlastname instead of ebay.

so... I send the email to the college admin and told them what the link actually pointed to. it turned out I wasn't the only one who'd reported it and they said they were taking "administrative action".

Comment

The FFIEC is definitely a US institution, not UK. And if they were investigating you based on reports from your financial institution, the first notice you'd get is federal agents knocking on your door, not an email.
        "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
        -Mira Furlan

Comment

"competent government agencies"? Does such a thing exist?

(Never mind that if this was real, you'd get an actual snail mail letter from the actual agency investigating it (whatever the hell "it" is supposed to be), not an email notice that it would be forwarded to some unnamed government agency.)
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Sometimes the spam is more entertaining than the real stuff. I love getting notices from banks I've never heard of that my account has been suspended due to "suspicious activity" and I need to send them all my pertinent personal data so they can reactivate it.

Or the notices I get from U.S. federal agencies telling me I've been approved for this or that benefit. This is particularly generous of them since I'm in Canada ...

Comment

I like how there is suspicious activity to "your Financial Institution." As if capitalizing it makes it any less generic.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                I like how there is suspicious activity to "your Financial Institution." As if capitalizing it makes it any less generic.

^-.-^
                Hey, Your Financial Institution is a fine, upstanding organization. Along with the Upstairs Medical School.
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

The best spam I got was one that claimed it was from the FBI. They wanted me to fill out an online form or they would send an agent to pick me up.

Comment

I got an e-mail from the FBI stating that I won the UK lottery and since I hadn't claimed my prize an employee of said UK lottery falsified data and stole my winnings. Happily the thieves were caught and my winnings are available again by contacting some lottery official in the UK.

I just love it! The official FBI website is listed as FBI.com and the UK official lottery e-mail that I need to contact ends in yahoo.uk.com.

Yeah, the US FBI is informing me that I won a UK based lottery. LMAO!!
                    Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Even the UK lottery doesn't inform you that you won the lottery! (Unless you play through their site) If you buy a ticket in a shop which win and it stays unclaimed they put a news story out of when and where it was bought about 1 month after and 5-6 months after and after that it goes into the charity pot!
                      I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Quoth Arcus View Post
                        The best spam I got was one that claimed it was from the FBI. They wanted me to fill out an online form or they would send an agent to pick me up.
                        Was it from someone claiming to be a Jason Gale? Here's the one I got recently (and yes, I saved it b/c it's so funny.)

Quoth Spam

I am Special Agent Jason Gale from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Intelligence Unit, we Intercepted two consignment boxes at JFK Airport, New York, the boxes were scanned but found out that it contained large sum of money ($4.1 million) and also some backup documents which bears your name as the Beneficiary/Receiver of the money, Investigation carried out on the diplomat that accompanied the boxes into the United States, said that he was to deliver the fund to your residence as overdue payment owed to you by the Federal Government of Nigeria through the security company in the United Kingdom.

Meanwhile, we cross check all legal documents in the boxes but we found out that your consignment was lacking an important document and we cannot release the boxes to the diplomat until the document is found, right now we have no other choice than to confiscate your consignment.

According to Internal Revenue Code (IRC) in Title 26 also contain reporting requirement on a Form 8300, Report of Cash Payment Over $10,000 Received in a Trade or Business, money laundering activity may violate 18 USC ยง1956, 18 USC 1957, 18 USC 1960, and provision of Title 31, and 26 USC 6050I of the United States Code (USC), this section will discuss only those money laundering and currency violation under the jurisdiction of IRS, your consignment lacks proof of ownership certificate from the joint team of IRS and IRC, therefore you need to reply back immediately for direction on how to procure this certificate to enable us relieved the charge of evading the law on you, which is a punishable offense in the United States.

You are required to reply back within 72hours or you will be prosecuted in a court of law for money laundering, also you are instructed to desist from further contact with any bank(s) or person(s) in Nigeria or the United kingdom or any part of the world regarding your payment because your consignment has been confiscated by the Federal Bureau here in the United States.

Yours In Service,
                        Agent Jason Gale
                        Regional Deputy Director
                        Intelligence Field Unit

I viewed the full headers on this and found the IP address it came from. Ran it through whatismyipaddress.com and the IP is from Japan.

I would think if the FBI wanted me, they'd come visit me in person first instead of sending an email.

Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                          Was it from someone claiming to be a Jason Gale? Here's the one I got recently (and yes, I saved it b/c it's so funny.)

I viewed the full headers on this and found the IP address it came from. Ran it through whatismyi[SIZE=2]paddress[SIZE=2].com and the IP is from Japan.

[SIZE=2]I would think if the FBI wanted me, they'd come visit me in person first instead of sending an email.
                          Oh, now this is just too damn funny.

Yeah, the FBI always notifies perps by email they are being investigated. It's called Operation Run While You Can.

We shouldn't be surprised these outrageous and transparent scams keep coming out. Somewhere out there is some poor sucker wondering how his identity got stolen.
                          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

The best spam email I got was from a Nigerian businessman. And silly me for thinking those were out of fashion and never got sent any more.
                            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                            My DeviantArt.

Comment

Working...
                            X