Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well...frick. (OR When It Rains, It Pours)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well...frick. (OR When It Rains, It Pours)

Bit of a health update since my last thread. Last week, I received a call from my doctor's office telling me that the doc wants me to get a full shunt x-ray before my next follow-up. Right away, that worried me. So I got the x-ray done and we found out something that is very not right. Apparently, there is a portion of my shunt that, instead of being near my abdominal cavity where it should be, is actually down near my pelvic region.

What does this mean? Well, aside from the obvious 'my shunt broke', it means that it is now more-than-likely that the cyst that started this whole mess is caused by CSF leaking out willy-nilly from where my shunt currently ends.

At this point, it's no longer a question of if I'm going to need surgery to fix all this crap. It's a matter of when it'll happen and how extensive it needs to be (full replacement or just a repair of what's currently there).

Can haz hugs tiem nao, plz?
    Last edited by firecat88; 02-11-2013, 08:08 PM.
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

oh dear that royally sucks. sending many many hugs and good thoughts your way. Also giant moose hugs, they help a lot.
    Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

*hugs*. I hope it gets sorted asap and as less stressfully as possible.
      I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

/hugs I'm sorry your shunt broke. I hope they can repair it. I also hope you have insurance so you don't have to foot the whole thing yourself.

Comment

Sending hugs to you and wishes for a non-extensive surgery and quick recovery.

Comment

You can have all the hugs you want.
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Awww geeze... as many as you want!

Comment

*clings to everyone* Thanks, y'all. I've had a chance to cry about it, so I'm feeling slightly better. However, I'm still very much dreading this. The very idea of having another shunt revision/replacement freaks me out immensely.
                "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Hugs.
                  I'm crossing my fingers for an easy operation and a fast recovery (and at least fifteen years until next time).

Comment

Shit. Shitshitshitshit. x.x; Apparently, they want me in the ER now for tests and crap. Which means the surgery could be as soon as tomorrow.

EDIT: Oh, thank God. @_@ Ok, so I just got back from the ER and a long talk with my neurosurgeon. He looked at the x-ray properly and said that, from where he's looking at it, it doesn't look like a shunt issue. He said that everything looks fine and that the shunt *is* actually supposed to be that far down. So the good news is that this is not, as we were all terrified it could be, a shunt issue.
                    Last edited by firecat88; 02-16-2013, 02:33 AM.

Comment

That's great news!

Comment

The sutures have been removed, I'm happy to announce. I just got back from the doctor's office about an hour ago and she said that everything is looking well enough that it was time for them to come out. Of course, there's still a little bit of drainage, but I've been assured that that'll go away.

Comment

Working...
                        X