This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intro, In Novel Form (Warning, Long!)

Hello, hello! Another long time lurker here, and having taken the jump back into retail I thought it was high time I got my butt in gear and joined in on the fun.

So, intro… well, let’s see, we’ll start with the work side of life, by going way back many years. As you’ll see, I did manage to get away from the customers for a while, but now looks like I may be back to stay. Anyway, I digress… My first jobs were fast food and doing set ups at a local restaurant. From there, after a brief and disastrous first marriage, it was into phone rep, taking catalog orders for Corning Ware replacement parts. Then a seven year stint as a Directory Assistance operator for Ma Bell, and boy do I have stories about that one. After that I took another break from the workplace to be a stay at home mom (and fight a long time losing battle w/ depression which, strangely enough, I relate the conquering of to a return to retail).

Back at work again, in a small town variety store. The work was good, the pay sucked. (Familiar thought anyone?) Left there to work for a local newspaper in production until my Mother called one day and said she was making enough with her own company (of which I was Corp. Secretary, on paper anyway) and could pay me what I was making at the paper. So, jumped at that, being as working for Mom meant shorter hours, same pay, and much less stress. I was with Mom until recently when she decided to retire, and as I really couldn’t see myself stepping into her shoes and getting broker’s licenses in both mortgage and real estate, it became time to look for another job.

I applied at several places, and had some apparently good responses, but it always seemed to be “We’ll call you in a few days,” over and over, every time I called. So, becoming rather panicked as the income tax refund we’d been living off of was dwindling and while I can go to Mom and Dad if I get behind I hate to do that, I finally sat down and prayed one night. “Just tell me where I’m supposed to be.” I dreamed about my old variety store job, and to be honest when I woke up I kind of laughed it off. See, this is the place where I learned that, despite what I had allowed my husband to convince me, I was actually a good person and not only was I not stupid I was pretty damned smart. I found myself there, I suppose you could say if you want to get that way about it. So I figured the dream was really my insecurities talking, a desire to be in what I felt was a “safe place”. That day I got a call from a job I’d been waiting to hear about. The position wasn’t opening as soon as had been expected. I didn’t think twice, I got dressed, got in the car, and drove over to my old place of employment.

And there in the window, on a neon pink poster board, was the sign. “Accepting Applications”.

I almost cried.

R, the SM, was getting desperate. D., who’s been at the store since it opened (the building itself, despite whomever’s name was on the door) is finally going to have her hip replacement surgery next week. Another lady had gone into the hospital the night before, and another had just quit showing up the week before. I think I might have been the answer to one of his prayers. I was his Group Manager when I left before, and a pretty damned good one, if I say so myself. He took his first full two week vacation in years and went out of town while I was there, leaving me to run the store. His current GM is great, we’ll call her N., I really like working with her, even though I’m a total geek and she proudly proclaims both her computer illiteracy and her intentions to stay that way. We currently have three other employees. There’s E., the lady who had gone in the hospital, it thankfully was not as bad as was originally believed. Then D., who’ll be out for a while after her surgery. And the new girl, started two days ago, K., who seems to be working out great so far.

R.’s already started the paper work to get me trained again to be a key carrier, which N. is thrilled about because she hasn’t had a back up. Mostly it’s just refreshing my memory, I’ve been away several years, some things have changed. R. told me Wed. that he’d gotten my raise through and the approval to start my training, then told me something that blew my socks off.

“They want to know if after that you’d be interested in training as manager.”

R. is retiring in Nov.

So that brings us up to date on the working life of DuckyDew, and I’m sure you can understand why, after years of lurking around and taking many hours of enjoyment, I’ve finally taken the plunge and launched myself into your wonderful community. In other words…. HELP!!!! Hehehehehhee

And now (as if you needed/wanted more) as to myself…

I’m a 44 yr old single mother of two incredible boys, 10 and 15. We’re all gamers, and have 4 computers set up in our living room. Yes, our living room. That way, with a turn of my head, I can look and see what they’re up to online. Also makes multi-player much easier. We have a small house in a small Central Texas town, with one dog (outside, big dog, All American dog), two outside cats (semi-wild, but the dog loves them and lets them in the back yard), and one inside cat who just yesterday became a Mama. Of just two kittens, I was so proud of her. And yes, I could write another book on what got me “here”, in my life, as opposed to “here, in my work, but I think you’ve suffered enough.

And besides, I have to go to work now.

Guild Wars- Ravynn Darkshine, Drasnian Silk
    MySpace- PhantasmBastion

Hey, welcome to the boards and congrats on the job!

I live in College Station. :-D
    ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Comment

I hope your boys know how lucky they are! (And I'm not just talking about the gaming set-up in the living room, although it sounds pretty sweet.)

Welcome to CS! I'm looking forward to some stories from you.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Thanks for the welcome!

And Kerrisan, I'm in the Highland Lakes area, so we're close enough! Course, I grew up in Lubbock...

(Yeah, I gotta say it)

Go Raiders!!!!

LOL

MySpace- PhantasmBastion

Comment

Ha, my parents are Raiders. I'm a Bearkat!
          ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Comment

Um, I have an Aunt in Houston...but I've never been there...

Sorry, I was feeling left out

Anyway,

Sounds like your life has been quite the ride and seems to be you are in a good place now...so that's great! Can't wait to read your stories
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
              Um, I have an Aunt in Houston...but I've never been there...
              Well, if you ever make it to TX, may I recommend our part of the state over Houston? Course, they have us beat like crazy in the seafood dept, but for good people and beautiful scenery... then again, I'm probably a little biased.

MySpace- PhantasmBastion

Comment

Hey there, Ducky Dew.

So sorry it took me this long to get in here and say to CS.

What a great introduction.

Lots of great posts, but it's been a while. Hope to have you back with us soon. We miss you.
                Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Working...
                X