Go Back   Customers Suck! > Site News > Site News

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 12:20 AM
Store Manager

As a fairly new arrival, I'd be sad to see the site go away -- at this point, it's well-known and long-standing enough to qualify as part of the history of the Internet. And it includes quite a bit of useful advice and examples for dealing with SCs, so it's something of a public resource to boot.

Unfortunately, I haven't a hope of being able to buy it out myself, but I hope you'd at least consider selling the site in toto to some group that would maintain it. Two thoughts occur to me in this vein:
(1) Perhaps collective contributions (Kickstarter/Patreon?) would let you set up a foundation or trust for it, with subscriptions to cover the ongoing costs.
(2) Alternatively, one of the other existing sites, such as "Not Always Right", might be willing to buy you out.
(3) Someone upthread did say they had the money to do it; I'll note for them that if some of the existing staff come along, the funder doesn't actually need to be a major techie -- just competent enough to be capable of holding the reins, and willing to de-wheel an admin if they get badly out of line.

I also don't have a Facebook account, and really would rather not have one for all sorts of reasons.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:49 AM
Unsteady as she goes

BTW, is anyone else a little bit confused by this statement?
Quote:
someone who can develop the place and make it live again.
I personally am quite happy with the site the way it is right now, not sure what anyone else thinks.

Old 01-19-2016, 01:40 AM
Area Manager

Quote:
Quoth MoonCat View Post
BTW, is anyone else a little bit confused by this statement?

I personally am quite happy with the site the way it is right now, not sure what anyone else thinks.
I don't know about others; but it does feel like activity is lower than it was in the past. Could just be shifting preferences, especially as Message board activity shifts to other places like FB and Reddits.

I would hope that if someone does keep the site going, that board software upgrades would be in the works. Another board I know upgraded and is using modern Xenofora software which feels really nice and flexible nowadays.

Old 01-19-2016, 01:44 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
Would you use the same name? I don't really comment there, but I read it every day. I'll look for ya'.
I dunno. Maybe something different. I have a few ideas <_>

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Old 01-19-2016, 03:36 AM
Chairman of the Board

Quote:
Quoth Jetfire View Post
I don't know about others; but it does feel like activity is lower than it was in the past. Could just be shifting preferences, especially as Message board activity shifts to other places like FB and Reddits.
I think that's what Raps was getting at. Someone new could overhaul the design, cull some of the lesser used forums, do a little more to get the word out about us, redesign the homepage, etc, etc.

I would be MORE than happy to donate to a gofundme or other effort to keep this place going. $150/month is a bit rich for me but I could definitely contribute financially as well as time. Please, anyone and everyone, consider me available to assist with any efforts to carry this place forward.

Old 01-19-2016, 04:45 AM
Area Manager

I have very little time or money to help out, but I do know how to put funding campaigns together. Maybe we could set up some kind of donation system for people who post regularly who want to help out with costs? I'm sure one of the mods (or several) might be willing to help with admin.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:44 AM
Your mother was a hamster

Noted....Stay calm, and burn all the evidence,

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:53 AM
Just some guy

Activity is down year on year - that's what I mean there. The place needs someone with the time and energy to get it jumping again.

Rapscallion

Old 01-19-2016, 12:05 PM
I need a life

Been here almost 9 years, hope someone takes it over intact. This announcement comes roughly a month after another board I was on "went dark" with no warning.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:19 PM
¡Fleas Navidad!

And Cute Overload is gone!
Closed Thread