This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lack of observational skill

I'll put this here because the guy wasn't sucky, per se, and really, I wouldn't lump him in with the hopeless cases in Unsupportable.

User calls it and says that his [App] is missing. Recently, The Client pushed out a newer version of App, and the icon for it changed, to a different shape and color. Not everyone's using it yet, but it's out there. So...

J2K: "What color was the icon before it went missing?"
    Him: "Uh... what?"
    J2K: [repeats self]
    Him: "I don't, uh..."

I asked him then if the App icon's colors matched the older design.

Him: "The [network] icon is blue."
    J2K: "...y'know what, lemme remote in and take a look-see."
    Him: "Sorry, I didn't understand what you were asking."

This statement, by the way, is why I won't throw him in with Unsupportable, because he recognized his own helplessness.

So I remote into his desktop, and what do I see? An icon for App. The older icon. I click it with the cursor and highlight it.

J2K: "So, you said App was missing, but I see it right here..."
    Him: "Oh. Uh, not that one, my email, my [MailApp]. Sorry, I guess it would help if I used the right terminology, huh?"
    J2K: (chuckling) "Yeah, it would. Let me take a look here..."

As it happens, The Client has recently made one of the most recent versions of MailApp available to users (again, not everyone has upgraded yet), and it wouldn't be unheard of for an upgrade to erase the old icon/shortcut for it.

But, no, he was still using our standard version of MailApp, and there it was, in the Start menu. So I launched it, then pinned it to his taskbar.

J2K: "So, there we go, your MailApp wasn't missing, it was still there in the Start menu. I've gone ahead and pinned it to your taskbar."
    Him: "What made it go away?"
    J2K: "Unfortunately, no easy way to find that out, but the next time you login, it should be there for you on the left there."
    Him: "Cool. All right, thanks!"

I don't get annoyed by these calls. Because these calls keep me employed!
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

I know exactly what you mean.

I often say, if more people actually *read* what was on their screens, I'd have much less work to do!
    Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
    What's the difference?
    We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Quoth rose_metal_nz View Post
      I often say, if more people actually *read* what was on their screens, I'd have much less work to do!
      Of course, with the new icon interfaces, reading doesn't necessarily help. But then, whether text or icons, it's really easy for a busy interface to completely overwhelm normal people's cognitive abilities.

Because the developers designing them tend to design for their own mutant talents....

Comment

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
        Because the developers designing them tend to design for their own mutant talents....
        Sometimes. At other times, it's simply "hey, new function. Needs an interface. Where can I add that to?" ... "Usability? What's that? My feature works."

Comment

Working...
        X