X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 7 Best Deep-Fried Turkey Disaster Videos

Right here at Gizmodo.

I've had my fryer for several years & not only cooked turkeys in it,but pounds of potatos,fish & shrimp,both frying & boiling.I've never had a problem.But then I got a lotta respect for large quantities of hot oil & open flames.
    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

It's usually any one or any combination of the following:

1. Equipment is too small for the application (a 20lb bird needs more than a small stock pot)

2. Too much oil (for the love of god get it right please)

3. Oil is too hot (see that smoke? yeah, that should not be there)

4. Bird is wet. (the more dry the bird is, the safer it is)

5. Bird is frozen (do I REALLY need to explain this one?)

6. Bird is put in too fast (no, it's not egg drop soup, be goddamn careful!)

7. Someone was not monitoring it (hot oil and volatile fuel source = constant supervision)

So let's run the list:

No. 7 - Combination of 2, 3, and looks like 5.

No. 6 - Combination of what looks like 1, 2, 3, 6

No. 5 - Couldn't tell as it never showed the preliminary, but nice choice having the really flammable equipment around the all wood structure. Potential future Darwin Award winner there.

No. 4 - Combination of 1, 2 initially, then 6. (it seemed he got the concept right in his explanation, but the practical application...)

No. 3 - Same as No 5, with bonus point for having it on a wooden deck. Guess they really didn't want that house after all...

No. 2 - Also couldn't tell, at least they were smarter about the placement. Just wish they weren't dumb enough to use a class A fire extinguisher on it as opposed to a class B capable.

No. 1 - Combination of 1, 2, 3, probably 4 or 5, certainly 6. The worst part is that was intentional. What a waste of a bird.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

The last one, wow..what a bunch of rednex..."I think we got fire - WOOOOO!!!"
      Testing
      "I saw a flock of moosen! There were many of 'em. Many much moosen. Out in the woods- in the woodes- in the woodsen. The meese want the food. The food is to eatenesen."

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
        It's usually any one or any combination of the following:

1. Equipment is too small for the application (a 20lb bird needs more than a small stock pot)

2. Too much oil (for the love of god get it right please)

3. Oil is too hot (see that smoke? yeah, that should not be there)

4. Bird is wet. (the more dry the bird is, the safer it is)

5. Bird is frozen (do I REALLY need to explain this one?)

6. Bird is put in too fast (no, it's not egg drop soup, be goddamn careful!)

7. Someone was not monitoring it (hot oil and volatile fuel source = constant supervision)
        You forgot #8 which escalates it - trying to use water to put it out. #3 was VERY lucky. I was at a fire department demo once and they showed what happens when you put water on an oil / grease fire. It ain't pretty.
        Quote Dalesys:
        ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

They're doing it wrong.

This is how you do it.

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
            You forgot #8 which escalates it - trying to use water to put it out. #3 was VERY lucky. I was at a fire department demo once and they showed what happens when you put water on an oil / grease fire. It ain't pretty.
            No I didn't. My list was the cause, not the escalation.

Quoth roothorick View Post
            They're doing it wrong.

This is how you do it.
            And I reiterate: what a waste of a bird for a fire show. At least when the mythbusters blow **** up there's usually a reason behind it...
            Last edited by lordlundar; 11-28-2010, 03:16 PM.
            I AM the evil bastard!
            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
            X