This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aw crap ...

So I left work after yesterday's mayhem divided between "Thank goodness I don't have to go in tomorrow" and "Well, yeah, but if you were scheduled, you'd be making time and a half ..." (Canadian Thanksgiving)

Turns out I was scheduled for today. I found out when somebody called to ask why it was an hour past my check-in time and I was nowhere to be seen.

All I could say was that I must have misread the schedule; I had no hours for today in my little purse calendar. I said I'd be in pronto, but less than 5 minutes later she phoned back and said they weren't very busy and they needed to cut some labour anyway, so she'd just cancel the shift.

But there will definitely be questions next time I go in ...

All I can do is show them my purse calendar, where there is nothing written in for today (and no sign of any whiteout, LOL). And read the schedule more carefully in future. It's an Excel-type document and it's really easy to get mixed up when you're trying to scan across it. I foresee carrying a small ruler in my purse in future.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

See if you can get a copy of the schedule emailed to you? That's what I used to do at one job - that way I could make everything big enough for me to easily read it. Spreadsheets tend to make me go cross-eyed at the best of times so any little trick helps

Comment

I will ask, but I'm not holding out much hope. They seem to be pretty rigid in many ways. At the tea shop, we used to have a FB group and the schedules would be posted there. The Mothership ordered the closure of the group, saying it allowed us to become "too friendly" with each other. I swear to you ... that was their reason.

What I will do in future is take a photo with my phone AND use a small six-inch ruler when reading the schedule to keep my eyes from skipping over to the wrong row/column ...

Ah well. My vehicle is loaded for my new storage unit tomorrow. And the guest bed has been cleared of junk. Now it just needs to be stripped and the linens washed and we're all set ...
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

What're the chances you read it right, but someone altered it after you left?
        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

It's certainly not impossible. That's why I really appreciated the FB group we had at the other place; whenever changes were made, the schedule would be re-posted with a note at the top IN ALL CAPS to let us know to check it. Despite their rigidity in many ways, The Mothership seems to be rather loosey-goosey in many other respects ... like communicating.

If it was altered, that could only have been done by (AFAIK) one or two people: manager or ass't. manager, and my experience with both of them to date suggests that they would 'fess up if that's what happened.

Having said that, I have no proof that that happened, as I generally just copy the hours into a small purse-sized calendar and then transfer them to the calendar in my kitchen. Several people have recommended that in future I photograph the schedule on my cellphone. I intend to do so (although I'll also keep copying it, since my cellphone screen is a PITA to read with these old and decrepit eyes ... )
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I recommend taking a picture of the schedule with the time stamp feature on. So if they try to change it later you have proof of what it was when you posted it
            "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Lucky you it's a paid holiday. It's not here in Atlantic Canada, I'm in NL. I call it the rip-off holiday, lol.

Comment

Quoth PastryGal View Post
                Lucky you it's a paid holiday. It's not here in Atlantic Canada, I'm in NL. I call it the rip-off holiday, lol.
                Wow, that sucks! It should be a paid holiday nationwide!

WishfulSpirit: I'm going to do that in future.
                ~ Mr Hero

Comment

That can happen to anyone. That said, getting the "We're here. You're not. Why not?" phone call is certainly not fun.
                  Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Quoth PastryGal View Post
                    Thanksgiving? In Nova Scotia I think stores are allowed to be open, but across New Brunswick, everything but the usual (gas/restaurants/convenience stores) tends to be closed on Thanksgiving Monday.

Comment

Quoth Teysa View Post
                      That can happen to anyone. That said, getting the "We're here. You're not. Why not?" phone call is certainly not fun.
                      That happened to me a few times at my old job; most of those times I could prove that the schedule was altered after it was posted, but that fell on deaf ears.

Here, the schedules are made on Mondays and emailed to the entire team, so we have plenty of time to bring up any issues.
                      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
                      X