This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop advice...

as its already known I'm a luddite...I come to you with hat in hand to see what you can advise me on for a laptop.

I don't need a powerful gaming machine (thats my desktop), but I'd like to be able to sit in the living room be watching tv, and be able to surf the web, check email, and chat with friends without every little action locking it up.

don't want to spend thousands of dollars, but ideally, it would have a seperate number pad to the side of the keyboard (like a normal desktop keyboard) so I can input numbers without typing across the top.
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

first off about half the laptops these days have a numberpad so that's not a large issue. Honestly if it's just for watching videos and surfing the internet then almost any piece of shit will do, what will vary is how long it will last. you can actually get decent stats in a laptop for around 400 especially this time of year.

Make sure it has at least 4gb of memory, and the processor is at least dual core (pretty much all of them are) it's not that much more to go up to quad-core but it's not necessary, hard drive size is not a big deal for most people.

the video card does not matter if you are not gaming, that and video editing are the only parts that matter.

Brandwise I recommend either toshiba or Asus, hp can be good too. Acer I am not a fan of.

read the details of the extended warranty take it from someone who's owned several laptops and sells them they can be worth it.

honestly expect at most 500 for the machine, be nice to the salesman and at least buy a bag or a pair of headphones with it.

Honestly you don't need to spend much these days on laptops even minimum specs is more than enough for surfing the internet. Now the setup on the laptop some stores tell you that you have to get it, this is not true it is not difficult to set up a laptop it's just most people may skip a couple steps and it's really time consuming, get it if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself but it is not a requirement no matter what they tell you. I don't recommend getting used.

there are so many laptops out there these days it's hard to pick just one but if you put specs and price we can tell you which to go with.
    Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
    Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

only has 1 gig of ram...but what about this one?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Asus-Black...arter/19793270
      It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

This one might work better...more RAM, bigger screen, and cheaper, to boot.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Toshiba-15...emium/20895606

Comment

I kinda really liked the swivel screen...be helpful in my D&D group for showing them things without turning the entire thing around

Comment

the reason that ones a lot more is because it is a table pc, the screen swivels to fold over the keyboard and is a touchscreen.

The specs on it are low as all netbooks are but it would run alright if that's what you want really but if you forgoe the touch swivel screen you can get a much more powerful machine for less, further you could by a 7inch external screen for around a hundred.
            Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
            Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Quoth Sarlon View Post
              only has 1 gig of ram...but what about this one?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Asus-Black...arter/19793270
              No.
              It has a touchscreen, which you may want, but IMO it's not needed for what you do. It's cool that it swivels.
              Key Features and Benefits:

Intel Atom N570 processor
              1.66GHz, 1MB Cache (shit processor)

1GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory (expandable to 2GB) (for Win 7 and up you'll need minimum of 4G ram, I'd suggest 8 or up) Oh and only expandable to 2? No, the hardware is limited in it's working. Think a wallet that can be stretched a bit, but no more, and all of a sudden you need to shove 032948347 credit cards in it.

320GB SATA hard drive (this is ok, SATA is the current standard hard drive now)

10/100 Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN (slow LAN, could do better.)

10.1" LED-backlit resistive touch panel display
              Intel GMA 3150 Graphics

Note the word NETBOOK. This is pretty much a castrated laptop. It's mission is to be very portable, small, simple(er) usage than what you need. Imagine a way to type up a letter and send it, or check your email. Your smartphone can do more than this can.
              NO
              In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
              She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

This one's ok: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834131324
                So is this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834214469
                I would go with this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834215397
                It's got the fastest processor of all 3, it has expandable RAM (you WANT THAT) remember what I said about the wallet.
                This can read DVD, dual layer CD/DVDs (not a great big woo but compare to the other 2? Nicer. And can write to MANY more kinds of discs.)
                This has 3 USB ports, and one is a 3.0 USB - the new fast Ubercool one. Brand new (like this year and next) stuff will have that speed connector. Nice to have.
                The webcam on this one is great, your pick earlier had a poo web cam.

I mean, compare all 3. The 3rd one kicks ass; compare them on Newegg, the 3rd one has more capacity and abilities. Better sound, good picture (resolution).

All 3 are Honda/Toyotas. 3rd one has better tires, better engine, better parts. They're all related, though; coming from a very similar hardware background.
                Make sense?
                Last edited by Der Cute; 08-24-2012, 03:49 AM. Reason: Added better links

Comment

Oh forgot to add. #3, free shipping. That's always a smile on my face.

Comment

ok another factor to think on...

with the proper cord(s) of course, hooking it up to my TV. I have 2 free HDMI ports on the TV

Comment

I hate to say BB. And I hate to say HP. But honestly, I got one of these, and its amazing, and its not given me ANY trouble.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstempl...900-01-01&gf=y

They're really great priced for their specs, seriously. I have this one: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+17....&skuId=5422093 and its just so darn cool.

Pick up a warranty through SquareTrade instead of at the store, its cheaper, and more comprehensive, and they have a much, much better history of working with people on their warranties.
                      By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Quoth Sarlon View Post
                        ok another factor to think on...

with the proper cord(s) of course, hooking it up to my TV. I have 2 free HDMI ports on the TV
                        #3 has HDMI port, on it's left hand side.
                        Look @ the pics of it on Newegg.
                        The HP ones are ok, but I'm not seeing HDMI on them. Maybe I'm blind.

Ok.
                        So you want to watch movies, TV, recorded stuff. And listen to music, right? Are you going to use this for encoding, creating movies, programming? (have to ask). Is this going to be used for gaming? MMORPG? What kind of games? (how new, what year are the games and names?)
                        I'm assuming surfing the net, email, documents. Watching shows/music over the internet/ streaming?
                        Are you basing this on wireless at home or wired at home? Like...you want to sit on couch without wires..you want to be in the kitchen watching TV while you do something..?
                        Tell us. Ve Need To knowk.

Comment

mostly surfing the internet, checking email, getting on netflix and updating my instant que, putting microsoft office on it so I can handle business stuff (spread sheets, checking email etc), traveling with me when I go house sit for my parents and go to the LOVELY >< family reunion each year.

and yes it will be wireless, it probably won't hardly ever leave my living room (a full 2 rooms away from the office where the router is).

Don't plan on gaming on it, but I'd like to keep my DM notes on it mostly type written stuff.

won't be watching much TV on it since I have a 47 inch TV in my living room i watch almost everything on.

anything I forgot? brain shutting down.

Comment

assuming its still there when we go to get it tomorrow, http://deals.bestbuy.com//laptops2/p...e++satin+black how does this look?

Comment

Quoth Der Cute View Post
                              1GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory (expandable to 2GB) (for Win 7 and up you'll need minimum of 4G ram, I'd suggest 8 or up) Oh and only expandable to 2? No, the hardware is limited in it's working. Think a wallet that can be stretched a bit, but no more, and all of a sudden you need to shove 032948347 credit cards in it.
                              You are mistaken. Windows 7 requires 1-2 GB of RAM, but 1 GB is barely enough (aka it will start up and that's about it) I only have 3.25 GB active (32-bit version) and have no problems.

One thing that did set me off was the Win7 starter edition. Just Eww. It is a terribly neutered version that only exists to force people to buy Home Basic or higher.

Quoth Sarlon View Post
                              assuming its still there when we go to get it tomorrow, http://deals.bestbuy.com//laptops2/p...e++satin+black how does this look?
                              A solid system for your needs at a very reasonable price. If I had the cash I would probably grab one myself for work.
                              Last edited by lordlundar; 09-17-2012, 04:12 PM.
                              I AM the evil bastard!
                              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
                              X