This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today was the decision point in my education plan

I've been so stressed about this that I didn't even tell my family that I had my first real flight lesson today, with a certified instructor. I have always, always wanted to work in aviation, preferably in the front seat of the airplane... but I was sort of on a flight that crashed, a number of years back, and I've been a bit nervous ever since. Kind of makes that career goal a little tricky. I've been working on it but as of April, my fear level was still unacceptably high, even for a passenger.

So this morning's lesson was really more an evaluation, to decide if it's worth it to admit me into the program and let me try for a very expensive, very difficult career path. I would be the oldest student, and the only woman in the program. And since my sister's an airline pilot, there's a bit of a pride thing, too. Make-or-break day in so many ways. And I had to do this with none other than the guy in charge of the program.

For my lesson/evaluation, he had me perform the "final exam" stuff you have to do to get a private pilot certificate. He wanted to see if I could even handle the challenge of learning how to fly, and if so, what skills would be the hardest. Good plan, right? Except for one small thing that nobody expected.

I nailed it. Calmly.

Now comes the actual hard part, of course, where I decide how much student loan I can reasonably pay off, and figure out how to get funding. I'm glad I'm leaving tomorrow to spend a month with my sister, so I'm forced to think and rethink before I can act on any decisions. But it feels so, so good to know that not only am I capable of doing this, but now I have the head of the department clamoring to get me fast-tracked. Anyway, that's all. I always share the sucky parts of life... thought it only fair that I share this news, too, to balance it out!

cool.

you know... i'm somewhat reminded of "Illusions" by Richard Bach. There's a scene in it where a young girl finds out she was a pilot in a previous life and loses all fear of flying when she finds out.

This kinda reminds me of that.

Comment

Congratulation on the decision. I really wanted to fly commercial when I was younger. Now, I'm old enough they wouldn't hire me.

Starting pay for pilots is generally quite low. One of the things that is plaguing the industry is the cost to become a ATP, if that is what you're shooting for, vs. the income you'll be making. Last I'd looked into it a year or so ago, I think it was $5-$6K to get your private ticket. Then your instrument rating and of course your commercial. Instrument usually costs more because of the more advanced equipment. I don't know if any airlines are helping to pay for training, but that might be something to look into.

Depending how you're going to pursue this, I'd highly recommend a soaring club. It is generally cheaper than power lessons. You can learn all your basic flight maneuvers there, then when you transition to power, you'll already know the basic stuff.

For example, the soaring club I'm a member of charges $25/month. (not counting the 'initiation' fee and the SSA fee) A 3,000 foot tow is something like $25 and glider rental is about $15/hour. Instruction at the club is free. So you can learn to fly for about half the price of getting your private ticket. Once you get the basics down, you can transition and all you'll have to focus on learning there, for the most part, is the power element.

Also, a soaring club is a good place to make contacts. Many of our members are, or were, ATPs. I imagine this is the case in many clubs. They can provide valuable insight into the industry. True, you can get that elsewhere too. Getting to know them could help open doors as you advance.

I've flown both power and non-power, and soaring is far and away the more enjoyable experience.

That said, I'm hoping to have my brother-in-law start instructing (he's a CFI and very, very good) next spring sometime.

Good luck and let us know when you solo.
      I'd tell you where to go, but I work there and I don't want to see you everyday.

My photo blog.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
        There's a scene in it where a young girl finds out she was a pilot in a previous life and loses all fear of flying when she finds out.
        Ha! I'll have to check that out, now! I've got to go commercial tonight, so we'll see if my new nerves of steel hold out when I'm not the one driving. I hope so, because if I don't sleep, I'll be up 27 hours straight by the time I get to Miami.

Antares, I honestly dunno what I plan to do with the education yet. I have a few options on the table... more today than I did a week ago, at least. So that's always a good thing. Dispatch work had really been calling to me before I found out I can fly, and I can go that route still. I'm not inclined to quite go left-seat at my age, given that most airline pilots I know will be still paying off student loans with their social security checks. That's a big thing I have to consider -- what careers do I want to try for, and will having my certificate and the various ratings, add significantly to my value.

I could probably go for ATP, and I certainly have the support and resources from my sister, to make it happen. Just a matter of, you know, is it a good investment? I don't know the answer to that yet. Maybe there isn't an answer... maybe there's just a shot in the dark and hoping for the best. But one step at a time, right? Right now, I'm just focused on the month of training I'm beginning with my sister in her Tiger, and by the end of it, I'm sure I'll know if this is really how I want to spend my future income. (Wow, student loans take on a whole new scariness when I word it like that!) And yes, if/when I solo.. you'll hear about it!

Comment

You go, girl!

Reach for the sky.....
          Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

woot!
            and
            double woot!

Comment

Working...
            X