This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh no he didn't...

So, it's been a bit of a shitastic weekend. Right before my days off, I had one housekeeper decide to call in 50 minutes before her shift to say she was quitting earlier in the week, so we've been reviewing applications since then. Another housekeeper is on vacation, and this weekend, two were either sick or NCNS (which was which depended on the day). Friday, we lost a housekeeper for a couple hours for a court appt that I didn't know about ahead of time. One of the housekeeper I did have left after all that is new, and is still slow. Basically, it was a perfect storm of suck that all came together for a crappy weekend.

So Friday and Saturday I did laundry and rooms, since we were busy and I was left with only two other housekeepers for the whole weekend, and in between all that I'm doing interviews and reference checks and dealing with some guests. I called in one of our desk clerks before her shift to help with housekeeping, and my day shift stayed late so she could keep helping. On Friday, our monthly shipment came in late after Maint Man had left, so I had to deal with that, and Saturday morning, a guest fell down some stairs, and I had to treat him until EMS arrived and then do a bunch of paperwork on that. I worked something over 10 hours Friday and something over 11 hours yesterday just to get my poor housekeepers home at a semi-reasonable hour. They were doing 8-9 hour days this weekend.

Today, we did orientation for two new hires that I interviewed over the weekend, and we put them to work with two housekeepers right away. They were almost done when I left them today. They should have been finished by 5pm. My housekeeper on vacation is coming back, and we're probably going to hire one more person this week. I am hoping one of my no-shows will be back, too. (She called to say she may have been going to the hospital. We told her to keep us updated, but we haven't heard since. She's normally a good worker, so I'm hoping it's simply a case of her being unusually stressed and/or under the influence of hospital meds and simply forgetting.)

So yeah. We get hit by a bunch of suck one weekend and get knocked off our feet a bit, but we came out the other end and are okay, no? We can breathe a sigh of relief now?

I sure was, until I got home and read this on FB. It's from the BF of one of my staff:

well i think that i can say I'm feed up with the management team at [HK]'s work they need to go to a workshop or something because they sure as hell don't know how to run a motel anything more then twenty rooms is not ok wtf are you guys doing killing your housekeepers turning into slave trader. Man no wonder your staff is not coming back i don't blame then its the summer !!!!!!!! four house keepers every day and why you hiring people that don't need to work already have an income you think they care what you guy are doing > NNNNNOOOOOO they don't care they all ready a have an income from the government. And no wonder your getting room complains your working the staff to death. my son hasn't seen his mother in more then two day we get up and go to work and come home so he can sleep last night he was home for less that an hour and passed out wow really guys get your shit together

(The person with "income from the government" is one who gets benefits that go away if she works too many hours, though she's been sick all week. Other MOD hired her and in this particular case, I'm not sure it's going to work. I don't believe, however, that you can just blindly judge a person's work ethic on whether or not they receive benefits, though!)

Ah, yes. Thank you for point out that your GF had one long weekend at work. Thanks for also not pointing out that I was hiring people and dealing with it.

My response:
    Hey, I just worked a weekend of 10hr+ shifts on the floor busting my ass just so your GF COULD go home. Crap happens when you get a perfect storm of a walkoff, a NCNS, a vacation, and a sick employee. When I was housekeeping, I worked a 77 hour week without complaining. That was 11 hour work days plus almost an hour commute at the time, no days off at all. I didn't enjoy it, but sometimes you have to suck it up until things get better. Your GF fortunately seems to have a more positive attitude than you do and has decent work ethic, which is good for her, because you are not helping your GF at all with you little whiney rant. Because trust me, it could be much, much worse.
    Background: my first summer of housekeeping was hell. Working until 10pm wasn't uncommon. That's why I have no problems about going out there and working along side them when it gets tough, because I've been there and I know how much it sucks and my GM at the time never helped me out at all.
    The 77 hour week was the worst (and I still have the pay-stub from it!). It worked out, though, since the next week my GM had found a bunch of new people and I only worked 22 hours. (My pay-stub shows 99 hours for two weeks; I just double-checked.)

Seriously, we had freak circumstances. Shit happens. But I got all the laundry done, many of the beds made, and I interviewed and hired two new people, while also dealing with the monthly shipment by myself, giving first-aid to a guest, and getting my mandatory daily reports done. I'd like to see this guy do better than I did under the circumstances.

Seriously, I can't psychically predict when freak shit happens. What the f*** more do you want me to do?

Sorry for the rant. It just pisses me off because ever since I got back on Thursday I've been busting my ass and my feet are sore and I'm really really sleep deprived atm as well and that was literally the first thing I read on FB when I got home. Just....grrr!

ETA: All my beef is with this employee's BF. The employee herself has been awesomesauce. She's grinned and beared it quite well. There is a reason I made her Employee of the Month this month, and don't think that when tourism season ends and we have to start cutting back hours in the back of the house that I'm going to forget about how she made some personal sacrifices and helped the motel pull through when others decided to take off without notice. Don't think I'll forget it during her performance review and merit raise, either. (Nor will I forget about those who NCNSed when it comes to cutting hours...)
    Last edited by bhskittykatt; 07-09-2012, 02:07 AM.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

OT: This is immediately what popped into my head after reading the OP title. Oh No You Didn't

On Topic:

Eesh, perfect storm of Suck, indeed. But it sounds like you did everything you could to minimize its impact, Awesome Worker was awesome, but AW's Sucky BF was Sucky.

Good on ya for being a good manager, bhskittykat.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Ah yes, Mercenaries 2. There is something deliciously cathartic about blowing up the entire country of Venezuela while dressed as a big yellow chicken.

And I didn't even read what twatwaffle had to say. I got to "workshop" and then my eyes began to bleed.
      The customer is always right, but this is a public house, and you are a guest.

Comment

Wow. HK's B/F is performing what we call a CLM I hope she gives him what-for for nearly getting her in trouble!
        Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
        What's the difference?
        We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

HK's BF needs a slap upside his whiny little head. Man up, dude. Plus, I'm sure the woman getting benefits would prefer to have a real job.
          "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

Quoth Divra View Post
            And I didn't even read what twatwaffle had to say. I got to "workshop" and then my eyes began to bleed.
            I managed to read through it, but I think I need a Dumbass to English translator.

BHSKK, I've seen similar things (see my Revolt of the Housekeepers thread from last year) but I wasn't management. I can just imagine the stress it puts on you when that happens. Hope the New guys work out.

SC
            "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Ah, yes. The Revolt of the Housekeepers. I have seen that same thing here. That's how I ended up assigned 56 rooms in one day (would have been all 60, but 4 were under remodel). Start with 4 at 14 a piece, then someone decides it's too nice outside, so you're down to 3 at 18 a piece, then someone gets sick, so you have 2 at 28 a piece, and one of them says well f*** that so only 1 is left to do all the work. Though fortunately I had Laundry Lady, Maint Man, and Other MOD all pitched in to help me on that day. I just locked myself in a room, screamed into a pillow and threw about a 5 minute bitch-fit, and then went back out and did my job. (Somehow, we actually finished that day by 6pm! It was exhausting but also kind of amazing we got them done so fast.)
              Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                ...but also kind of amazing we got them done so fast.)
                The trick is getting a good seal of the fire hose to the keyhole.
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                X