Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Epic Fail - Epic Win. I guess it depends on you which side you're on.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Totally OT, but I'm amused by your number of posts: 7. It just shows I've spent waaay too much time one here.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I hope they've been 7 quality posts.
      I'd tell you where to go, but I work there and I don't want to see you everyday.

My photo blog.

Comment

Quoth chikenlady View Post
        I gotta ask " whats a 1099?"
        I think the idea behind it is this -

Bob's probably blown through the money. Even though it belongs to the company, they aren't getting it back.

They could sue Bob, and win, but wouldn't get the money and would probably be out the legal fees too. Bob's just going to shrug and go about his business.

Or, they could file a form that said that they *paid* Bob the extra 150K, which means that the IRS is going to go and knock on his door and say, excuse me sir, where's our cut of that chunk of change? Oh, it's all gone? Well, let's talk about that, shall we?

Try shrugging that one off...

In the Batman comics, even the Joker says that he doesn't mess with the IRS...

Comment

Quoth Antares View Post
          Update on the business: They managed to hang on for another 14 months but shutdown. They were bought out by another company and reopened at the same address. The original owner still works for the new company at the same address.
          Then Bob is screwed!
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Hi, I am the brother Antares was talking about.

When I started working for the company the first time, they were in trouble. We got everything straightened out and we were doing well enough that I was able to get a retirement plan started for the employees. When I left, the retirement payments stopped getting made. When I got my quarterly statement, I noticed that the contributions made weren't right. I called "Bob" and asked him about it, he apologized and said he would get it paid. I kept checking my account and sure enough, a couple of weeks later, the 3 months of unpaid payments were made. He made them only because he knew I was the only one checking.

When i went back, things were such a mess. The reason we didn't pursue the matter with "Bob" more was that it was an in home customer service type business. We knew we would never collect anything. "Bob had no home (he rented) no car - he had a company car, company cell phone etc. so there was nothing to go after. Being an in home service we were afraid that if we pursued it too far, then people would start saying "Bob was in my home and now my (insert object) is missing. We are going to sue" whether this was true or not. Therefor, since he had put 19 peoples jobs at risk, I had zero ethical problems sticking it to him. I have told this story to a number of people and so far, not one has thought ill of me - even if they did, I wouldn't care. I am still friends with the people that owned the business and see them quite frequently. "Bob" had a retirement account, but he closed it out. When he did, he had to update his address - that is how we knew where to send the 1099's. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when he opened those.

We put up a good fight trying to keep the company going, but 14 months after I went back, we lost the fight and the company had to close. Another company bought the assets and contracts, and most people were able to go back to work rather quickly. The new company is still operating and doing fine. "Bob" is most likely never going to see another tax refund or anything and that is fine with me.

The sad thing is "Bob" and the General Manager had been friends for years. Their kids had grown up together. The GM trusted this guy and they lost the company over it, another reason I had no problem letting the IRS take care of "Bob."

Comment

Quoth dalek View Post
              Hi, I am the brother Antares was talking about.

When I started working for the company the first time, they were in trouble. We got everything straightened out and we were doing well enough that I was able to get a retirement plan started for the employees. When I left, the retirement payments stopped getting made. When I got my quarterly statement, I noticed that the contributions made weren't right. I called "Bob" and asked him about it, he apologized and said he would get it paid. I kept checking my account and sure enough, a couple of weeks later, the 3 months of unpaid payments were made. He made them only because he knew I was the only one checking.

When i went back, things were such a mess. The reason we didn't pursue the matter with "Bob" more was that it was an in home customer service type business. We knew we would never collect anything. "Bob had no home (he rented) no car - he had a company car, company cell phone etc. so there was nothing to go after. Being an in home service we were afraid that if we pursued it too far, then people would start saying "Bob was in my home and now my (insert object) is missing. We are going to sue" whether this was true or not. Therefor, since he had put 19 peoples jobs at risk, I had zero ethical problems sticking it to him. I have told this story to a number of people and so far, not one has thought ill of me - even if they did, I wouldn't care. I am still friends with the people that owned the business and see them quite frequently. "Bob" had a retirement account, but he closed it out. When he did, he had to update his address - that is how we knew where to send the 1099's. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when he opened those.

We put up a good fight trying to keep the company going, but 14 months after I went back, we lost the fight and the company had to close. Another company bought the assets and contracts, and most people were able to go back to work rather quickly. The new company is still operating and doing fine. "Bob" is most likely never going to see another tax refund or anything and that is fine with me.

The sad thing is "Bob" and the General Manager had been friends for years. Their kids had grown up together. The GM trusted this guy and they lost the company over it, another reason I had no problem letting the IRS take care of "Bob."
              He got served several pallet fulls of cases of whoop ass there. Nice job.
              If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

Working...
              X