This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Spelling Important?

Is spelling important? Changing a letter, changing the order of letters, or adding or leaving out letters can change the meaning of a sentence. Let's see these examples.

There is a big difference between the following sentences:
    I consider you a friend.
    I consider you a fiend.

If you eat your dairy, you're normal.
    If you eat your diary, you have pica.

If you have dice, you're probably playing a game.
    If you have lice, you're probably visiting your doctor.

If you have dice and you're eating my dairy, it's your turn, my friend.
    If you have lice and you're eating my diary, go see the doctor, you fiend.
    This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Similarly, grammar is important as well. It's the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Punctuation is also important.

Dear John:
      I want a man who knows what love is all about. You are generous, kind, thoughtful. People who are not like you admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me for other men. I yearn for you. I have no feelings whatsoever when we're apart. I can be forever happy - will you let me be yours?

Gloria
      Dear John:
      I want a man who knows what love is. All about you are generous, kind, thoughtful people, who are not like you. Admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me. For other men, I yearn. For you, I have no feelings whatsoever. When we're apart, I can be forever happy. Will you let me be?

Yours,

Gloria
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Than vs. Then

Of course, choosing the correct than/then can be very important, too.

I'd rather be pissed off than pissed on.
        So, you're saying that you'd rather feel angry than to feel worthless? That's reasonable.

I'd rather be pissed off then pissed on.
        So, that explains the smell.
        This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

The chairman of the board of education visits a classroom, and sees that the teacher is giving a lesson on punctuation. He feels that punctuation is useless, and that the lesson is a waste of time - and informs the teacher of this.

Teacher: Johnny, come up to the blackboard and write "The chairman of the board of education says the teacher is wasting the students' time".
          Johnny: (follows the instructions)
          Teacher: Now put a comma after "education" and another after "teacher".

A couple examples about how missing elements can change the meaning:

Many years ago, on Sesame Street, there was a segment where Oscar put up a sign on his trash can:

Gone to store
          for good mud sundae.
          Oscar

After Oscar left, the wind tore the sign (stuff in red was lost), then some of the other regulars showed up. They were wondering why Oscar had made such a rash decision, when he returned from his "snack run".

Another from years back (but not as far as that one) had a cellphone company advertising that they had clearer transmissions than the competition. They had someone leaving a message on their home answering machine using the competition's cellphone, then with their cellphone. The parts in red are garbled with static when using the competition's phone.

I'm still at the airport, and I'm not leaving without you.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
            Many years ago, on Sesame Street, there was a segment where Oscar put up a sign on his trash can:

Gone to store
            for good mud sundae.
            Oscar

After Oscar left, the wind tore the sign (stuff in red was lost), then some of the other regulars showed up. They were wondering why Oscar had made such a rash decision, when he returned from his "snack run".
            I remember that one!
            Sometimes life is altered.
            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
            Uneasy with confrontation.
            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
            X