X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, I Got My Wish

Well, sort of. One half of it anyway.

I'm no longer employed, as of today. Got called this morning, and told not to come in, that the I was being let go for "performance" reasons. Believe it or not, I can agree with that. I hated the work with a passion, and forcing myself to do work I hate is very difficult. My performance was spotty. I just wish I'd had a new job in the bag before this happened.

Still, I've got 1.5 paychecks coming. I know of a company that owes me another $1K. I've reopened my unemployment claim from last October, where I got to go through the waiting period already. I've got one interview lined up, and another interview in process of being lined up. I've got my contacts paying attention. And I've got the option of going the contracting route.

On top of it all, my wife noticed that I am much happier as soon as she got home.

Losing the job was annoying, but definitely not the worst thing to have happened. Life moves on, and I'll get income happening again.

I'm actually okay with this. Still wanted to share. Especially if somebody out there knows of somebody needing a developer or sysadmin in my area (NJ/PA).

See? Less stress = no more shitty code!
    And with your description, that was HIGH QUALITY SHITTY. "hey let's put a totally stoned dev to write this code and then put someone straight out of college for the next bit! Ooh ooh let's get a person who lied about their languages and can only do Visual Basic! Woo, Code Salad!"

Honey, better to be happy and broke(ish) than miserable and rich. And I hope their platform finally gets totally hosed (without the backups of course) and just shits itself. Oh yeah, and the hardware blows up too.
    Hugs.
    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

I forgot to mention: I saw some ads on their site for "Careers With Us". They've got an ad up for PHP Developers, and I had to chuckle at some of it.

Quoth The Ridiculous Ad
      • Independent research to improve and document existing projects and to identify and propose new solutions to enhance shortcomings or to address future needs
      • 1+ years administration experience in Linux/FreeBSD systems (hobbyist? OK!)
      There was more, but that's enough. Oh, and since I was the person maintaining the monitoring system, I also know that they were going way downhill. They were hosting 6800 servers back in December. Today? They were down to 3500.

Just insane, really. Bad company, bad practices, bad clients, bad everything. And the day they told me that I should do something because we care about following best practices, I had to struggle to avoid laughing at their faces.

Comment

Damn Peds! I'm just glad you're happier now that you're free of that shithole.
        Much luck finding a job you can actually enjoy.
        Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
        Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

It sucks that it happened this way, but I'm glad you're taking it the way you are. I'm all for less stress!
          The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

Quoth Cookie View Post
            It sucks that it happened this way, but I'm glad you're taking it the way you are. I'm all for less stress!
            Yeah, too bad it happened the way it did, but things can only get better!

Comment

It would have been more satisfying to quit but you are well out of that job.

Comment

Glad you're out of the rat's nest Peds.

*hugs*
                https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

you know, this seems an absolutely perfect setup for saying the performance issues were theirs, not yours. Hey, they never said it was your performance that was an issue.

Comment

Sorry for not really responding today. Today was a friend's cookout, and we were down there pretty much all day. Was a good day.

Last night, I fell asleep a good two hours earlier than normal. When I woke up, a pain in my shoulder that I've had for a couple months was gone. In short, I had better sleep, and got rid of some physical pain. I'd say the body was telling me what *it* thought of the job, too.

While at the cookout, I got some leads for some contract work. I might be able to turn that into enough to float us through another few weeks, maybe even a month, depending on the number of jobs it turns into.

All in all, I'd say I'm doing better than I had even hoped. I'm still going to be working through the next job search/selection process carefully. I really don't want another job that amounts to me being annoyed all the time.

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
                      Especially if somebody out there knows of somebody needing a developer or sysadmin in my area (NJ/PA).
                      I'm in Central PA (about 3 hours from NJ border), so should I keep a look out, or is that too far west for ya.

SC
                      "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Here, Pederson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o48aZ_C52wc
                        In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                        She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth BroSCFischer View Post
                          I'm in Central PA (about 3 hours from NJ border), so should I keep a look out, or is that too far west for ya.

SC
                          Ah, yeah, that's too far.

My preferred area in PA would be Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton or East Stroudsburg/Stroudsburg. Philadelphia could, maybe, be made to work, but the opportunity would have to be amazing.

I'm also realizing that this is an opportunity to shorten my commute. I've been doing an hour each way for 7 years, across 3 different jobs. I'm tired of it. I'd really like to see a commute drop down to, at most, 30 minutes. Just for something that would be pleasant.

Comment

I've been dealing with ankle and back pain to the point of it being crippling for two months now. I walked out on my shift a week ago and I feel amazing. Pain free, energetic, the works. Shitty work can really fuck you up. Congrats on getting out of there!

Comment

Glad to hear you're dealing so well with this. Sounds like a sucky way for things to turn out, but the fact you're already healthier & happier is a definite win in the end. Best of luck to ya!
                              Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
                              What's the difference?
                              We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Working...
                              X