Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maybe I'll steal your credit card myself, moron.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe I'll steal your credit card myself, moron.

Tonight sucked, monumentally. I wasn't supposed to go in tonight. I wasn't supposed to go in last night. Or Tuesday night. I got called in three nights in a row because of three different coworkers' no call no shows. And, hey, that's pretty freakin' bad considering I only have around eight other coworkers, three of which are managers. But that's a different I-want-to-punch-them-in-the-face story. So there I was, trying not to succumb to the flu that's starting to crawl into my lungs. Yeah, I'm freakin' sick on top of everything.

And I had another person pitch a royal fit because I wouldn't let them run their credit card because they had no ID to back it up. Slamming things on the counter, yelling at their kid to "Come on!" Throwing game cases at me. The game was only ten bucks and some change, and he unrolled a wad of twenties to find his card. So really? Is that really necessary? Next time, maybe I'll take their card myself and pocket it away to spend at places that don't check ID! I mean come on, we sell $500 systems at our store, how would it be if someone stole a CC and used it there because we didn't check?

Sigh. We also had a Halo 3 tournament next door at a local restaurant that was hosting it, so all sorts of little douchebags came into the store between matches. (I would have played myself and burst some college boy egos, but alas, I was freakin' working.) At least there were some very nice customers that told me to feel better and don't mind the idiots.
    Would you like a Stummies?

But just think how great it would have been if you actually had pocketed his card and when he shouted, "THATS MINE!" your only response was a sickly sweet, "Got any ID to prove it? "

Comment

Hee. Evil thoughtsies.

Then of course, you never know if they were the local boxing champ and their next response was to punch your lights out.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
        But just think how great it would have been if you actually had pocketed his card and when he shouted, "THATS MINE!" your only response was a sickly sweet, "Got any ID to prove it? "
        I have an issue with ppl who don't check signatures (after having my cc stolen and used for hours before someone eventually didn't like the signature provided - the moron then threw a hissy fit :-P).

Anyways - I'm occasionally waiting for the servo idiots to just do the authorisation before I've even touched the pen, then not sign it so they then have to explain it to their manager why they've got a blank CC slip hehehe :-PP

SB
        When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Comment

Quoth Dark-Star View Post
          Hee. Evil thoughtsies.

Then of course, you never know if they were the local boxing champ and their next response was to punch your lights out.
          Haha, to my advantage, I'm a petite little woman, so if my lights are punched out by some big guy I get the feeling every other male in the store will take him down, boxing champ or not. That is, if I don't kill him myself when I wake up.

You know how satisfying if would be to do that though? "I'm confiscating your card because I think you stole it! No ID to prove it? Ha! Caught you theif!"

Comment

What is it with all these posts today about people having to show ID to use credit cards?

If the card's signed and the two signatures match (card and charge slip) then the store's in the clear if the card is later reported stolen.

And if I see an unathorized or unfamilar transaction on the statement, I call the CC company to dispute it.

Problem solved. End of story.

It's mastercard/visa who are on the hook.

That's one reason why credit cards are so widely used. They're not like cash. I don't have to worry about a lost/stolen credit card the way I worry about lost/stolen cash.

Comment

Quoth Auto View Post

That's one reason why credit cards are so widely used. They're not like cash. I don't have to worry about a lost/stolen credit card the way I worry about lost/stolen cash.
              Actually, apparently not. If there's a chargeback or fraudulent use claim, the merchant's the one who eats the charge, according to more than a couple posters in previous threads.
              Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Auto View Post
                If the card's signed and the two signatures match (card and charge slip) then the store's in the clear if the card is later reported stolen.

Unfortunately, that isn't always the case. I'm not sure, but maybe the difference is if you swipe the actual card vs. just input the information? I work for a manufacturing company and people place orders online, over the phone or by fax. So we have no physical card to swipe. If there is a fraudulant transaction, we are out both the money and product. I discussed this with our accounting person and she confirmed it. That's why it's a big deal when we ship out a few hundred up to a few thousand dollars worth of product. We do what we can to know who we are selling to and why.
                A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth Slytovhand View Post

Anyways - I'm occasionally waiting for the servo idiots to just do the authorisation before I've even touched the pen, then not sign it so they then have to explain it to their manager why they've got a blank CC slip hehehe :-PP

SB
                  I've had people refuse to sign the slip when I've asked for their ID. They think they're being clever or getting the better of me by inconveniencing me. Usually they show me their ID and sign right after I say, "Okay then, we'll just have this all refunded and I'll take all your items back into the store for you."
                  Since people spend, on average, at least two hours in my store that option is rarely favourable to anyone.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                    Since people spend, on average, at least two hours in my store that option is rarely favourable to anyone.
                    Argos queues? or perhaps Ikea?

Nice comeback though
                    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth Auto View Post
                      What is it with all these posts today about people having to show ID to use credit cards?

Because the way I see it (and the way my company sees it because requiring ID is policy for cc purchases), it's way too easy to fake a signature. And the store isn't in the clear, really, because that's product that we've lost and can't get back.

Comment

Quoth Slytovhand View Post

SB
                        Yeah, at my store we don't actually need the slip signed, and we don't need ID. Except for very large purchases (more than a couple hundred dollars), and for purchases over one hundred during the holidays.

I don't know how we avoid the liability on that one.
                        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth Auto View Post

And if I see an unathorized or unfamilar transaction on the statement, I call the CC company to dispute it.

Problem solved. End of story.

Wild guess. You have never had your ID and or credit card stolen.
                          Last edited by retaildrone; 02-11-2008, 01:47 AM.

Comment

I've had more than my fair share of CC problems. Twice I've had my number stolen and seen thousands of dollars rung up on it. The CC company has been perfectly reasonable in these instances and I've been off the hook for the money. But (from what they tell me), the retailer is the one that forks out the dough. It's up to them to prove it's a legitimate transaction and when they can't do that, they lose.

I think the funniest example of CC (in)security is at the self serve cashiers. You swipe the card and then sign. Nobody is checking the signature, what's the point of signing? Put a big X there and walk away.
                            D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
                            Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Quoth retaildrone View Post
                              Wild guess. You have never had your ID and or credit card stolen.
                              You guessed wrong, dude.

I've had my identity stolen and I've lost credit cards and recently had a wallet containing CC stolen from a locker.

Dealing with ID theft is pure living hell. In my case, it involved, police, lawyers, and the courts, it took forever, and I'm still never 100% certain I fixed everything

(Credit checks are terrifying -- will another fake debt or account turn up that I didn't know about? Will I spend the rest of my life scouring my credit history having to acertain that accounts in my name are actually mine? most likely, yes.)

Lost CC/stolen wallet? No muss no fuss. I called the issuer's 1-800 number. Old card got cancelled and a new one arrived in the mail a few days later. My financial liability was zero, zip, nada. The biggest hassle was a new driver's license.

Having had an ID thief introduce me to a world of excrutiating pain, I now NEVER show ID to someone who has no business needing that info. That includes cashiers when I pay with a CC.

I hand cashier the card and she/he can check that the signature on the back of the card matches the one on the charge slip. That's it. If I get asked for ID, I ask for the manager.

Once burned, twice shy.

Comment

Working...
                              X