Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maybe I'll steal your credit card myself, moron.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth chops View Post
    Whether or not checking ID is a good idea, if you refuse a sale because the customer refused to show ID—and the card was signed—you are violating your store's merchant agreement with the credit card companies and your store can be reported for it. I can understand that you're caught between a rock and a hard place, and for the sake of your job and your own principles, I can understand how you feel the need to stick to your guns—but it can get your store in trouble with the credit card companies. That's a fact; my sources are page 34 of the Rules for Visa Merchants PDF and page 48 of MasterCard's Merchant Rules Manual PDF.

Note that if the card is not signed, you are not only well within your rights to demand ID, you are also supposed to make the customer sign the card in your presence.
    I did not know that. I just know I have been told no ID no sale. I guess I am safe since I do not see very many signed cards anyway. Those that are signed sometimes do not match because it is SO HARD to sign on that screen, you know!

I'll have to talk to my manager about it.

Edit: Sorry, I posted before I saw we were being told to take this to fratching. So with this, I'll stop. ;P
    Last edited by retaildrone; 02-12-2008, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X