This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annoying (Post) Interview Experience

Last week Monday, I had an interview with the Bullseye. It went really well! Especially since I had applied for just a basic associate's position; when they called to schedule the interview, they said I was overqualified, and instead had me come in for a Team Lead position. Cool!

The interview was three hours long. I met with three different people, watched a video, and took an assessment that included a math test (!). I enjoyed speaking with everyone I met with and I think I did okay on the math. They told me I'd hear back by (last) Friday.

Friday came and went with no call. I left a message on Saturday. No call over the weekend.

I called on Monday. I was told the person I needed to speak with was in meetings; after I explained who I was and why I was calling, the person on the other end slipped and said, "He's in orientation with the new hires...some of the new hires today."

Left another message today. I know the person I need to talk to has Wednesdays off, so......

I would totally understand a "no" for an answer. (And I imagine at this point it is a no.) The interview went well, but I don't have a lot of experience. Or maybe I didn't actually do well on the personality or math test. But they said they would call within a certain time frame, and have so far ignored my messages.

This particularly Bullseye is a few blocks from my house. I'm thinking of grabbing my iPod and camping out there. So annoying.

It sucks, but when corporate culture is to avoid saying "no" at all costs, that behavior gets applied to everything...

When I worked for Grocery Store, we sent out postcards to people who we didn't hire. The reasoning was that whoever might be the one to give the bad news on the phone might say something wrong that would imply that the decision was based on discriminatory reasons (or the person not hired could just lie and say that). The postcards were brief but polite, and let everyone knew where they stood.

At least until corporate decided that they wouldn't reimburse managers for stamps anymore, so we stopped sending those out too...

Comment

Over here it is considered a major faux pas if a candidate for a job doesn't get a personal call back after an interview.

So I seethed with rage when, after a job interview where I think I did well, didn't get as much as a generic "no thanks" letter... nothing, nada, zilch.

So I won't be recommending that company to any of my friends...
      A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

I hope you get an answer one way or another, Miss Fatale.

Will say though, to this...

Quoth Miss Fatale View Post
        I called on Monday. I was told the person I needed to speak with was in meetings; after I explained who I was and why I was calling, the person on the other end slipped and said, "He's in orientation with the new hires...some of the new hires today."
        This may be another group of hires and not who you would be training with anyway. They could've been interviewed a week before, two weeks, whatever and got scheduled for Monday. So that may not be a bad sign for you.
        My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

This is the time of year for hiring, there are at least 2 orientations per week at my bullseye.

Comment

Yeah, I assume just because he was with some new hires doesn't necessarily mean one thing or the other for me.

But I'd still like an answer. I'm crazy like that.

Comment

I think you'll get it. It's holiday hiring time, and people are actually holiday shopping, so I think the managers are just busy.
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I did get a call today! They offered me a position, but it's not the one I interviewed for. So I'm mulling over my options.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Quoth NorthernZel View Post
                  Over here it is considered a major faux pas if a candidate for a job doesn't get a personal call back after an interview
                  I think I may be moving to your country/hemisphere/planet then because here you're doing extremely well to hear back in any way, shape or form from anyone. A few years back I was unemployed and was putting in for 20+ jobs per week every week for almost five months. I think I heard back from four companies in total over that whole period - and that included the group who hired me!

Apparently the problem is that most hiring goes through HR departments now and they just refuse to get back to or acknowledge the unsuccessful applicants.
                  "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Quoth KatherineB View Post

I think I may be moving to your country/hemisphere/planet then because here you're doing extremely well to hear back in any way, shape or form from anyone. A few years back I was unemployed and was putting in for 20+ jobs per week every week for almost five months. I think I heard back from four companies in total over that whole period - and that included the group who hired me!
                    I think it depends on the job. When I was seeking jobs I only got replys from about half of the companies I applied at. This was mainly unskilled labour. When there was openings as a bicycle mechanic I heard back every time.

Comment

Quoth Mikkel View Post
                      I think it depends on the job. When I was seeking jobs I only got replys from about half of the companies I applied at. This was mainly unskilled labour. When there was openings as a bicycle mechanic I heard back every time.
                      They were all administrative jobs, librarianships, local govt, customer service, etc.

Comment

They were all administrative jobs, librarianships, local govt, customer service, etc.
                        Well then, you should emigrate . I'm sure you are very welcome here.

Comment

Quoth Mikkel View Post
                          Well then, you should emigrate . I'm sure you are very welcome here.
                          Aw, somebody wants me! *sniff*

Comment

When I first graduated from uni I sent out over 600 applications. I got exactly 3 responses. Two were standard form responses.

Only one was personally written to me. How do I know it was personally written? It was for a company in the UK. I was in Australia but planning to go over there to try my luck, and the email mentioned getting in touch when I arrived. Although they couldn't offer me work due to my lack of experience, the owner of the company wanted to meet up with me to give me hints about where to look next. That was absolutely the best rejection letter I have ever, and probably will ever receive.

Comment

Working...
                            X