This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Stare

Is anyone else unnerved by how some customers just stand there and stare at you?

I'm talking about the "you can feel their eyes on you" type of stare, not just looking in your general direction. I can understand young kids and babies who don't know any better, but adults sure as heck should. It doesn't matter age or gender, it just creeps me out.

That's when you stare back, and then place your hands on your temples and begin to tremble... freaks 'em out every time.
    The customer is always right, but this is a public house, and you are a guest.

Comment

*stares at you*

Just kidding!

Comment

I've always assumed it's them wanting your attention but being unwilling to actually open their mouths. So they stare, expecting you to drop everything and rush over to fawn over them.

I generally avoid eye contact longer than half a second or so, so my standard response is to ignore the starers. If they really want help, they'll use their words, or they can stand there and stare until the shop closes, I don't care. Sometimes, I admit, I'll stare back if I'm in a mood, and that generally solves the problem, because I can go for long periods of time without blinking and that unnerves people after a while.
        What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

I don't like having little kids do that, either. It's just weird.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

divra and mharbourgirl, you are both evil, and I love you for it.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I've had it happen to me, and I've witnessed it happen to employees.

And now, I'm reminded of the social experiment of staring at the ceiling for no apparent reason, except to see how many others join you in it. Wonder if it'd work for an employee? Just stare up at a random light fixture and see if the staring customer transfer their glare to it instead. Whilst the custy is staring at the light, wander off to parts unknown...

*makes note that the next time she sees a fellow customer staring at an employee with a look of expectation, to walk up and say, "Use your words and don't forget the magic ones too!"*

Mind, I've watched an employee for a few, to make sure I wasn't interrupting a task before asking. Nothing like having your hands full of hot liquids or glass wares and a customer just pop up and ask you something for making a big mess. But usually, I've looked away a few times (short attention span, dontcha know) or got up the nerve to just ask.
              If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

I've had customers stare. Not just the inquiring stare... The creepy I'm a pervert stare.
                NEVER underestimate the stupidity of the customer

Comment

This is what I get.

*SC walks into lobby and comes up to desk*
                  Me: "Hi, how can I help you today?"
                  SC: *stare*

Or, the variation:

SC: *throws CC at me* *stare*
                  Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Working...
                  X