This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subscription e-mails not arriving

For some reason since I've changed my e-mail address (Raps ended up having to manually verify me) I haven't been receiving the daily updates, despite being subscribed to the forums (some of them I had to re-subscribe to as my subscription was lost).

I've double-checked my spam folder (clear) and made sure the e-mail address is added to my contacts folder. Help please?
    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Speaking of subscriptions, I keep finding thread subs mysteriously dropping, even in threads I've posted in.
    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

By "changing email address", I assume you've switched to a new ISP. Your new ISP may subscribe to a service such as SpamCop, which blacklists certain senders because it thinks they're spamming (it thought the service I use for my domain, which forwards a "my domain" email address to my ISP email address, was spamming, so NOTHING sent to me got through). If this is what's happening to you, it won't wind up in your spam folder since it gets intercepted prior to reaching your ISP.
      Last edited by MadMike; 09-11-2014, 10:08 PM. Reason: Removed Fratching comment
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
        By "changing email address", I assume you've switched to a new ISP. Your new ISP may subscribe to a service such as SpamCop, which blacklists certain senders because it thinks they're spamming (it thought the service I use for my domain, which forwards a "my domain" email address to my ISP email address, was spamming, so NOTHING sent to me got through). If this is what's happening to you, it won't wind up in your spam folder since it gets intercepted prior to reaching your ISP.

I access my e-mails online, rather than downloading them to Outlook, my phone, whatever, so I can check the spam-folder directly.

I received some e-mails the first couple of days after Raps authorised me (I already mentioned that for some reason I'd been un-sub'd from some forums) and they arrived in the Inbox ok, just marked as "potential spam" (I promptly added the e-mail address to my contacts list).

After the first couple of days I didn't receive any more e-mails, despite checking that I was still subscribing to all the forums (I was).
        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

If your ISP is using SpamCop or a similar service, it doesn't matter whether you access your mail online or through a POP3 mail client. What happens is that your ISP routes incoming mail through SpamCop, and anything it thinks is spam gets blocked BEFORE it reaches your ISP's internal filters (the ones which decide whether a particular e-mail goes into your inbasket or your spam folder). As a result, you won't ever see the incoming mail. The sender SHOULD receive a "bounce" message explaining what happened and telling them what to do to appeal the decision.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
            If your ISP is using SpamCop or a similar service, it doesn't matter whether you access your mail online or through a POP3 mail client. What happens is that your ISP routes incoming mail through SpamCop, and anything it thinks is spam gets blocked BEFORE it reaches your ISP's internal filters (the ones which decide whether a particular e-mail goes into your inbasket or your spam folder). As a result, you won't ever see the incoming mail. The sender SHOULD receive a "bounce" message explaining what happened and telling them what to do to appeal the decision.
            Is there any way for me to find out if this is happening? I wouldn't know where to start.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
              Is there any way for me to find out if this is happening? I wouldn't know where to start.
              Okay, Raps asked me to look into things to see if I could provide an answer for this. Unfortunately, I can't beyond saying this: The messages are making it to your ISP. Something is happening over there that is preventing them reaching you.

I examined the logs on the server looking for the results of trying to send email to your ISP (initials for that ISP: TT, just to clarify somewhat). Without revealing any personal information, here's what those logs had to say:

status=sent (250 ok: Message 633501764 accepted)

Now, that "633501764" is a message id, and differs for each message. But that's what it says almost all of the time. On occasion, there are rejections, since we apparently have a few people on this board using that same ISP, and too many emails get sent to that ISP simultaneously. Aside from that, it's smooth sailing, with emails regularly being sent to (and accepted by) your ISP.

Somewhere in there, it's being diverted or deleted. To get that clarified, you'd have to call up tech support at the ISP. So far as I know, there is literally nothing I can do here.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                Assuming the same thing is happening to you as happened to me, the only symptom on your end would be that e-mails don't arrive. There would be "bounce" messages going to the sender (in this case CS) saying that the mail was rejected by SpamCop, and giving instructions on how to appeal the "you are a spammer" decision. Only the sender can fix things up.

Comment

wolfie is (technically) correct in that, if it's a service like SpamCop that's blocking the email, there would be something somewhere for the sender to fix things up.

I've just checked my emails for anything of the sort (and, as the site tech, I would be on the list for getting such failure messages). I've checked the mail logs to see if it even tried to send me an email to me that failed for any reason (not just a spam block reason, any reason). There's nothing of the sort.

And that brings it back to what I said in the message before wolfie's: The emails are getting to your ISP. Your ISP is accepting them, and once that happens, it's out of my ability to do anything.

To use an analogy: If I'm delivering a package to your house, I knock on the door, your mom answers the door, proves she's supposed to accept packages for you, takes the package from me, and then buries it in the garden, there's nothing I can do to make her give you the package. Nor will I even be able to tell she did it.

It's the same issue here: Your ISP is taking it, claiming all is good, and then it disappears. Unless/until your ISP gives some direction on how to make it reappear (and those directions include steps to be done on the CS server), there's nothing that can be done over here.

Nothing at all.

Comment

Thanks for checking, mate

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
                      Somewhere in there, it's being diverted or deleted. To get that clarified, you'd have to call up tech support at the ISP. So far as I know, there is literally nothing I can do here.
                      OK, thanks for trying. I'll try and get something out of them when I'm back home and on my pc, I hate typing on a mobile touchscreen!

Comment

An alternative would be to change to a free online web-based email service or try more than one if the first doesn't work. If that improves it, you could check there easily enough.

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                        X