This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short one

I was vending at a con this past weekend. We got hit by an F1 tornado over the weekend, but luckily no damage to the building besides losing a loading door.

A customer walked up and started looking at my quilty goodies. He was mumbling softly under his breath, then said "Plastic?" as he looked up at me. He was pointing at my display of potholders and I had no idea what he was talking about.

"No.....they're made of cotton." I said, looking confused.

"Credit cards!" He shouted at me. "You fucking moron!" Then walked off. I was just like

Another vendor friend I know came up and asked me if I received a refund for the last show that we did together because it ended up being a bad show. I said that I didn't get a refund and wasn't expecting one. (It's incredibly rare to get a refund of booth rent for a show, unless the promoters cancelled it.) He then told me that he told the promoters that he wanted a refund, they refused, so he contacted his bank and said it was a fraudulent charge and got his money back.
    https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Ok first guy? COMPLETE RUDE ASSHOLE. What a miserable person.

And the friend - sadly, this is a thing now. Decide you don't want a thing you bought, or not happy with a service or other experience? Dispute the charges. Not everything is refundable but some people don't let that stop them.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

First guy could definitely use some lessons in basic speaking, as in "How to speak in complete sentences." I too thought he was asking if your potholders were made of plastic -- odd, but probably not impossible.

As for the second guy ... wow, quite the sense of entitlement. I hope if he ever attempts to get a booth at this same show again, they laugh him out of the building. I rented a booth for $50 at a flea market and didn't make anywhere near that ... but I hadn't really expected to (some people had crafts; I was using it more as a garage sale venue) and even if I had, how is it the organizer's fault that I didn't?
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I could rant for hours about people using single words as entire sentences either of statement or enquiry, but what's the use? They've already walked away...
        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Cash will never disappear, as long as there are those who will shamelessly shout "fraud" whenever they feel they haven't been butt-kissed enough.
          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

The show in question, it was $500 for a 10'x10' booth. I sold $410 worth. But I got a lot of cool photos and met Tim Russ, so for me, I don't mind.

The people who ran the show declared bankruptcy, and they are no longer doing shows.

I just really hate the entitlement. It's bad enough from customers, but other vendors?

Comment

When I was selling I had some really bad shows where I didn't make back show fees, but only once where I felt like I was entitled to a refund. But that was a situation where they gave my indoor (paid-for) spot away, then put me in a horrible outdoor spot amidst a bunch of crappy buy-sell stuff, and my cute "indoor" canopy got ruined because it wasn't meant to ever be used outside. So not only did I not make back my show fees (I am pretty sure I didn't break $100 in sales) I was out the cost of a new canopy frame.

They had promised me a refund of the difference between the cost of the spot I reserved and the spot I ended up in, but they never came through. If I could have done a chargeback, I would have.

And every time you post, Kanelah, you remind me why I'll never, ever, ever do shows again

Comment

Wow on the refund friend, if they do that enough the bank or CC company will start tracking signatures and could suspend his accounts pending legal investigation. My brother did this twice, they found he just did the same thing.
                Crono: sounds like the machine update became a clusterf*ck..
                pedersen: No. A clusterf*ck involves at least one pleasurable thing (the orgasm at the end).

Comment

You guys that go to these things and vend, I salute you. My boyfriend and I have started selling our wares at cons (homemade soaps, candles, fragrance sprays and such) and while our first show was a hit it's only the honeymoon phase.

I did a show with a good friend of mine who sews plush, makes keychains and handsculpts hairbows and such who wanted a booth buddy. She had gotten a guy who came over and bitched about her high prices and walked away, to which she cheerfully called "I'd be happy to discuss the value of my art with you!"

Comment

This particular show, I had a blast. Yes, we were only open Sunday instead of Sat-Sun because of the tornado/power outage. But the people running it busted their butts and got tons of people in shopping on Sunday - in the bible belt.

I did 16x my booth rent in one day, which is incredible. I also sold a quilt and got a ton of compliments and ran out of business cards again, so I'm happy.

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
                      Another vendor friend I know came up and asked me if I received a refund for the last show that we did together because it ended up being a bad show. I said that I didn't get a refund and wasn't expecting one. (It's incredibly rare to get a refund of booth rent for a show, unless the promoters cancelled it.) He then told me that he told the promoters that he wanted a refund, they refused, so he contacted his bank and said it was a fraudulent charge and got his money back.
                      Most cons who run into people doing that...generally refuse to allow that vendor back in the next time the con runs.

Your friend might find themselves galloping down Diarrhea Drive without a saddle next year.
                      I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

One of my good friends runs what has become a fairly large show with a waitlist. We get together and talk about other shows - who was there, who packed up early, who was rude to other vendors, etc - and she puts together a list of people she won't allow in her show.

My mom's on the list

Comment

Aww, how heartbreaking for you! You won't be able to be abused and talked-down to by your mother, who just sounds like such a nice person...
                          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Did all my shows last fall solo with the exception of one. Mom was pissed. Of course I told her that I was only doing the one show with her and then working on customs. The reason she's banned from this show is because Mom decided to do a show on her own and then cornered my friend while she was setting up and got all in her face about how she (mom) wanted to do the show and it's not fair and friend should've called her, etc.

My booth neighbors all asked where mom was and then when I told them that I was solo, they said they couldn't believe that a mother would talk to their child the way she was talking to me and how rude and hateful she was. Wow.

Plus my sales went up when I don't have miss. negative vibes there.

Comment

Working...
                            X