Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Words Fail me. I don't know what to call this guy.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Words Fail me. I don't know what to call this guy.

Guys,

I don't know where to start,I tried to write this up before but I didn't get around to it.

Let's start. Basic story begins as I am zoning the aisle in Pharmacy that has Toothbrushes/Toothpaste/ Denture cream, pain relief (toothache) on one side; and Mouthwash / deodorant on the other side.

Actually, you know what. I'm just going to put the story that I wrote to THE COMPANY, on here. It explains it better than I could a second time.

I recall the Gentleman from the Pharmacy as strictly "TOM'S OF MAINE" because that is what he wanted. (imagine the phrase in a slow harsh voice)...

So, here it is:

Dear Tom of Maine’s Company,

I want to share with you a personal experience I have had with one of your loyal customers. It was a normal day, like so many before it, and I was causally working alongside your product at my workplace. It was the Toothpaste aisle; and on the opposite side the Deodorant aisle. Then HE appeared. Gathering what little memory I have of that night after a terrible headache. I can recall that he said he was an ex-soldier, or something related to the Military scene.

I greet him, asked if he needed help finding anything, he says no, and all was well. Suddenly, he angers, and starts looking frantically for Tom’s Of Maine Fluoride Free Toothpaste. I show him the box, he is delighted, and now he wants deodorant. All we had at the time was Fresh Apricot, Wild Lavender, and Unscented. This set him off, as he didn’t want the unscented or the women varieties! Finely, he grabbed the unscented because he had no alternative, but due to this absence he decided to “educate” me in the ways of the world that I did not understand.

Nor want to.

He goes back to the Toothpaste, “You know Fluoride can kill you! *(They)* shouldn’t be allowed to sell toothpaste with fluoride in it! It should be against the law!”
    (why is it always They, Tom’s of Maine?)

It caught me off guard at the time, I have only recently looked back and found out that:

A.) The minimum dose of fluoride that can kill a human being is currently estimated to be 5 mg/kg (5 milligrams of fluoride for each kilogram of body weight).

B.) A majority of toothpastes on the market contain about 0.15% fluoride ion, which comes out to 1500 ppm (parts per million.) In 1.5 ml of toothpaste (about half the tube give or take) you would find 2.25 mg of fluoride. In a pea sized amount of toothpaste, you would only find 0.3 mg of fluoride.

C.) Since 1962, the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) suggested that public tap water contain between 0.7 and 1.2 milligrams of fluoride per liter. The department said now it's recommending that the level not exceed 0.7 milligrams per liter (which is the same as 0.7 parts per million, or ppm).Apr 27, 2015.

And D.) There is no scientifically valid evidence to show that fluoride causes cancer, kidney disease, or other disorders.

…..This pretty much points out that this guy has issues. Only I knew from the beginning when he started going on about how the Government wants us dead, yada, yada, or money off taxes and everything.

So, I’m already back-peddling out of there as fast as I can when he starts to enlighten me on errors from the Bible, now I’m not much of a Christian, Hell I don’t even attend church, so you can imagine how hard it was to decide if I should keep my job or tell this guy to leave me be. He started blabbering about some people… Cain and Abel? Doing something in Hell or whatnot, then it shifted to Angels coming down from Heaven having (relations) crazy sex with animals on Earth THUS CREATING Centaurs, and other creatures, beings, things… I don’t know Greek mythology maybe but that’s not right I think?

Anyway, one thing leads to another. I left with the worst headache of my life, I get to the back of my store to escape from the vast collection of information my brain was struggling to not decrypt, I wanted to forget about the black void of knowledge that was bestowed upon me unwillingly. I didn’t want to even attempt to question his ideals or beliefs. The only thing I could think about was “That guy is (expletive) nuts!” and, “Water has fluoride in it! Jesus!”

It would have been different Tom’s Of Maine, if I had started up a spontaneous conversation about the possible negative side effects of Fluoride in Toothpaste (and water), or if he said something nonchalant like “Huh, they make Toothpaste without Fluoride? Neat.” But all I said was “Hello, Can I help you find anything today?” It’s like asking someone if they know of a good restaurant to eat at then getting a detailed list of all the reasons Islamic people wish to kill you, or how the restaurant was invented by a man who had an affair with livestock and then sacrificed the animals to worship an ancient demon….

I was afraid to go back to my aisle Tom’s Of Maine, my break only lasts so long. I scouted around aisles to see if was still there and thankfully he was heading for the checkout. I haven’t seen him for a while now Tom’s Of Maine.
    I actually stared in horror as a customer asked me where the Tom’s of Maine Toothpaste was the other day (Fluoride Free), I just figured he’d go on about something about how our Government secretly makes money off of the amount of grass we mow in some never-ending biological-solar grass growing scheme. But he smiled and said “thank you” as he placed the carton in his basket and walked away into the night.

This is 100% true. I fear your customers since the day I met “Fluoride Free Man”.

Thank you for your time,

Eddy

That is what I mailed to Tom's of Maine Corporation.... and I recieved a package just the other day in the mail. --> They sent me the "Fluoride" version of the Toothpaste and apologized for what I had to go through, (it was freaking hilarious and professional.)

They thanked me for attempting to research their product and explained how they use a safe version of fluoride to some effect.

Bottom line: I encountered a crazy associated with a product belonging to a company, and they apologized for me experience with their/my customer.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Should we just mailing companies stories of our experiences to get free stuff?

First one to receive a free TV wins!

TV? That's small stuff. First to get a wood chipper on the other hand...

Comment

think you've got a typo because there's a heck of a lot more than 1.5 ml in a tube of toothpaste.
      Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
      Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Mrs. IA uses Tom's of Maine fluoride-free toothpaste. She has an allergic reaction to fluoride.

And let us not forget the role fluoridation played in that great movie Dr Strangelove.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Eddyisme View Post

…..This pretty much points out that this guy has issues. Only I knew from the beginning when he started going on about how the Government wants us dead, ....
          I hear that from conspiraloons all the time, and I've yet to figure out what the point is of a government killing off all of its peons serfs constituents. After the Black Death decimated Europe, it wasn't all that unusual (from what I've read) to see landowners and their fair ladies out in their own fields, grubbing about with shovel and rake ... because the alternative was to starve to death, since the crops weren't going to grow themselves, and their own quota of peasants had either died off or moved on to somebody who offered better working conditions.

I like your challenge, by the way. I wonder if I could write to Toyota and get a new Corolla ...
          Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I deal with people like this all the time at work.

But my main ire is reserved for those groups that have calculatedly measured the profit potential for encouraging this whackadoodlery. Many of them claim to be nonprofit, but they are just too persistent and too persistently, calculatedly misleading - somebody is making bank off fomenting this false narrative of "X, Y and Z are gonna kill ya, ya know!"
            Last edited by wordgirl; 06-20-2017, 04:10 PM.

Comment

For what it's worth... from Genesis... Cain and Abel were the sons of Adam and Eve. Cain murdered Abel. This was bad.

As to his other hootings,I believe he's referring to Genesis 6:4
              "There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown."

There has been quite a bit of debate as to what this is actually on about...angels breeding with men?alien beings?UFO's on the loose? giants and humans?-one of the more sane theories is that the Israelites 'sons of God' were breeding with foreign Canaanite women-'daughters of men'.There is no mention of toothpaste there.

For those of a rockish persuasion,the Hebrew word for these creatures is Nephilim and that's where Fields of the Nephilim take their name from.
              The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                For what it's worth... from Genesis... Cain and Abel were the sons of Adam and Eve. Cain murdered Abel. This was bad.

There is no mention of toothpaste there.
                You are so right. No toothpaste, no fluoride mentioned in the Bible. He's certifiably nuts.

Comment

Quoth Shyla View Post
                  You are so right. No toothpaste, no fluoride mentioned in the Bible. He's certifiably nuts.
                  My degree is in biblical studies, the only chemical I can remember being mentioned was the sacred incense used for worship in the OT. You weren't supposed to eat it.
                  "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Oh not only chomping on it could get you into trouble!If you made some like it,or 'put it on a stranger' you could be cut off from the people.

The nearest I could find to toothpaste was this from Song of Solomon 3:6. Next time he comes out of the wilderness at you,just direct him to your 'Scented Powders' aisle....

'Who is this that cometh out of the wilderness like a pillar of smoke, perfumed with myrrh and frankincense, with all the scented powders of the merchant?'
                    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Send him to the nearest baseball/cricket match. He can wait for the big inning(s).

I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth wordgirl View Post
                        whackadoodlery
                        my new favorite word

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                        Israelites 'sons of God' were breeding with foreign Canaanite women-'daughters of men'. There is no mention of toothpaste there.
                        I agree with that theory. The bolded made me laugh.
                        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I wonder if I could write to Ford and get a free car for the times an F-series truck has veered out of its lane and almost run me over. It's been twice now, with different trucks. Not to mention all the other bad driving I see from F-series drivers more than any other make and model of vehicle.

As for the customer, I too have had a run-in with this type of customer. He never said anything about being military though.

How it went down was, I'd gone to Fred Meyer to get something and while I was there I stopped in the magazine aisle to read Car and Driver on the sly. There's also this hippy-ish bearded dude there, white sneakers and a backpack, reading some magazine on aviation or something, I don't really remember. I don't remember exactly how it started, either; I think he may have asked me if I was into things mechanical (since I was reading a car magazine) and into planes specifically, and I confessed to having been fascinated by WWI air combat as a child.

Big mistake.

Somehow we get from that onto some old depiction of what someone once thought aircraft would look like in the future, and some woman who was in that depiction, and the hat she was wearing, and how it actually looked exactly like some ancient Tibetan high priestess hat that some archaeologist had found, which was also the inspiration for the stereotypical witch/wizard hat, the shape of which has fertility connotations, or something, and he knows all this because he's "into comparative mythology".

Brotip: if someone tells you they're into comparative mythology, just run away and never look back.

And somehow, we get from that onto rocks and fossils and him trying to sell me (a Christian) on evolution and billions of years and whatever.

No matter what the subject, this guy just goes on and on and on, never stopping, never letting me get a word in edgewise, moving from point to point and topic to topic, so that by the time I can say anything, I've already thought of and forgotten at least 5 different responses to things he's said and then moved way beyond.

Literal hours later, I leave the supermarket with my head spinning.
                          Just stay out of the "workplace memes" thread. Please. I mean it.

Comment

Personally, if there is time to listen, I love listening to conspiracy nuts. I never try to reply, I just listen and nod my head. When I get bored, I trigger my phone to ring, look at the screen and say something like "you never saw me, right?" as I run out the door.
                            Last edited by Slave to the Phone; 07-31-2017, 01:49 AM. Reason: bad kitty on the keyboard making typing rather hard

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                              Personally, if there is time to listen, I love listening to conspiracy nuts. I never try to reply, I just listen and nod my head. When I get bored, I trigger my phone to ring, look at the screen and say something like "you never saw me, right?" as I run out the door.
                              Alright, I have to try that sometime.

Also that was post #999 for you.
                              Just stay out of the "workplace memes" thread. Please. I mean it.

Comment

Working...
                              X