Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you're going to lecture me on something at least know what you're talking about.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Argabarga View Post

They're also the kind that think owls are being "mean" when they eat "poor innocent mice"

Well what are they SUPPOSED to do? Hit up a vending machine?!
    Obviously she's never had a mouse problem ... neither have I, but I try not to have romantic drooly views of nature, either.

Your last line reminded me of a story in which some people were screaming for a dog to be put down because its owner had died and nobody noticed ... and the dog started gnawing on the owner's body. Bill Maher said "What was [the dog] supposed to do, call Pizza Hut?"
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
      For some reason, she reminds me of one of those people who pop up in YouTube video comment sections of wild animals fighting and shriek about how the cameraman was abusing animals by letting them hurt each other and "not doing anything" to help.
      People like that drive me bonkers.

Yeah, it sucks that a heron or a snapping turtle just gobbled down the poor innocent duckling. And that's why nature made sure ducks have a clutch of a dozen eggs, because you're going to lose a few to various animals, motor vehicles and natural causes.

Yeah, it sucks that two feral dogs or cats are tearing at each other in a public street. I'm not risking rabies, tetanus or getting my flesh torn off to separate them. I'll call animal control. You get a hundred stitches trying to pry them apart.

Yeah, it sucks that the mallard is trying to mount the mama duck while her ducklings are running around. Do you really need to use your foot to act as a duck cock blocker?

Yeah, it sucks that owls and foxes and raptors eat cute little squirrels and chipmunks. Let's see if your empathy extends to, say, a rat. Funny how some people stop caring as much if the animal being eaten isn't "cute".

Yeah, it sucks that the lionesses just ate a baby zebra. Maybe you can get out of your Land Rover and explain to them how naughty it is.

Yeah, it sucks that people have to cull wild boars, including piglets, but if it's a choice between that or watching a pet or child get torn up by a boar then common sense must prevail.

Yeah, it sucks that the bunny/chick/mouse/vole is being fed to a snake, but snakes have to eat, too. Even if you think they're "icky".

oy gevault.
      Last edited by EricKei; 06-13-2017, 04:46 PM. Reason: snip

Comment

RE: kids and cats. Yes, cats should be able to defend themselves. However! I have been around parents who won't even let their kid near a cat/kitten unless the cat has clipped claws. Because heaven forbid their precious get a boo boo from tormenting a cat. And then, if the cat does something the parent doesn't like, the cat is chastised. So no, I don't care to watch videos of kids and cats/dogs. Maybe it's totally fine and the parent is normal and rational. Hopefully. But when I see a toddler pulling on a big dog's ear, all I can think is "one day that dog will bite that kid and then be put to sleep."

This all goes back to total over protectiveness, never let the kid have any experience it can learn from, never say no, etc etc.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Any animal that doesn't like what you're doing to it will react. Dog, cat, horse, snake.... Whatever. They might not react by becoming aggressive. But they will react. Paying attention to body language (and since I deal with horses I kinda need too) and you can see entire conversations without any actual sounds being made. Ppl have just gotton so complacent because if we don't like how an animal reacts... Well sell it, or put it down... We don't have to take responsibility for our animals outside of being charged by human courts. And as humans, they are just as biased as the rest of us.

Dog attacks a human? Nobody asks what spurred the attack unless it was protect its owner from assault or something of the kind. Nope, it's that's a pit bull it must have been acting aggressively because of the breed it is. Never mind if the way it was handled made it feel the need to defend itself when humans crossed a certain line. Never mind it's owner had a habit of rewarding bad behaviour without being aware of it. Never mind that the owner didn't understand the dog's requirements when they bought them as a puppy... Or failed to get it the training it needed. Working dog breeds need a 'job' to do. Even if it's only learning more and more complex tricks. It needs the mental stimulation. But a lot of people treat a German Shepard the same way they'd treat a golden retriever. Yes there are animals that fit the stereotype. That's why stereotypes exist. Most cats hate water. The occasional one loves water so much it'll jump in the shower with you if you let it. Yes there are animals prone to certain behaviour. I certainly wouldn't give a little kid an Arabian for their first pony. Not to say all Arabs are unmanageable or act up. But they do need certain things, like constant mental stimulation or they get bored. A lot of that rearing, pulling at the rope, otherwise acting like a dick, behaviour is caused by a very bored horse looking to find something you will react and engage to. Even if that attention is negative it's better then the same old same old. Or it's caused by mishandling and sending mixed signals to the horse. It's not that the horse is dumping you out of the saddle because it hates you specifically. It's just learned that if I do this then you do that.
          Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

Quoth AkaiKitsune View Post
            Dog attacks a human? Nobody asks what spurred the attack unless it was protect its owner from assault or something of the kind. Nope, it's that's a pit bull it must have been acting aggressively because of the breed it is. Never mind if the way it was handled made it feel the need to defend itself when humans crossed a certain line.

We have a popular local park where people fish, take their kids to the jungle gym, walk around it for exercise, etc. Dogs are allowed but must be ON LEASH. I swear someone posts on our town's local Facebook page at least once a week about someone letting their dog run loose. And park-goers are finally sick of their shit and are calling the police on them. Sure - cops have better things to do, but until the dog owners start taking responsibility they're going to get ticketed. A few examples:

At least a half dozen people had their dogs attacked by off-leash dogs.

A woman's young son was being charged by a growling dog - the owner's response, "tell him to just hold still." - because that's what a panicking 3 year old is going to do in the face of a snarling dog.

Off-leash dogs running into the street and nearly being hit by cars - how much do you want to bet the dog owner blamed the driver.

I know there's more. But no matter what kind of dog you have - large, small, friendly, agitated - you NEVER know exactly how they'll react. You could have an old black lab with no vision or hearing who can't even move but if someone touches him he could react with a bite. You could have a great dane who loves everyone and loves to play but if he tries it with a 3 year old he's going to plaster the kid like a Linebacker.

Comment

Yeah, it sucks that owls and foxes and raptors eat cute little squirrels and chipmunks. Let's see if your empathy extends to, say, a rat. Funny how some people stop caring as much if the animal being eaten isn't "cute".
              If they want to have a birdfeeder, they may get tired of the squirrels. At our house, they're known as "Rats with fluffy tails."

And if they try to grow, say, strawberries, they'll learn to hate the chipmunks, too. I got maybe one out of ten strawberries...

And I'm sure that AkaiKitsune can relate to pigeons being called "rats with wings."

Don't even talk to me about mice.

Yeah, I got no likes for the animal rights crowd.

An Haddock, I can almost always predict my dogs' (Erics) behavior. But that's because I spend a lot of time with them, train them, proof them, and observe them. Also, I always keep an eye on them. Our new dog, Eric, is crazy, though. He'll take a while....
              I don’t have enough middle fingers to show you how I feel about you.
              - Twitter, via Boredpanda.com, via Youtube

Right. Well. When you manage to pull the concussed deer of your intellect away from the oncoming headlights of life let me know. - Grave keeper

Comment

Do you have a fruit-bat named Eric?

How about a half-a-bee?
                “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                  Do you have a fruit-bat named Eric?

How about a half-a-bee?

"Kemal Ataturk had an entire menagerie called Abdul!"

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                    Maybe someone should leave her on Sable Island
                    It's doubly dangerous, because Suplex City is on Sable Island.

Comment

I can't help but wonder what kind of freak out she'd have if she knew half the other shit I've had in my house. Up until I started high school I was part of a program that would take in wild animals (babies) and rehab them or feed them until they could be put in an enclosure to continue care. I had all kinds of weird ass animals. From timber wolf puppies and cougar kitties to various birds, bear cub on one memorable occasion. Young raccoons. Most being because the parents had either died or abandoned them at too young an age to survive, or because human stupidness got them in trouble. Or young animals too young and dumb to realize that if your wingspan is longer then my outstretched arms you probably shouldn't chase that rabbit into the underbrush. You may just get tangled... The wildarc facility here didn't have the resources or the setup to deal with really young animals so they'd raise them with certain volunteers who (admittedly spent to much time there) had the experience and training to raise/tend to them without making them dependant upon humans for survival. It was mostly the bird that imprinted... And those that did would be sent to education or rehabilitation centres like the Raptors Centre if they couldn't survive wild. The ultimate goal was rerelease. They were not pets, they were not to be treated like pets. Then they expanded and now they have the means to not seek out the qualified volunteers.

That woman's brain would have melted at the idea of [keepig wild animals as pets] otherwise known as hand rearing wild animals for rehabilitation.

I think the weirdest animal I've ever taken care of was a leopard that was seized. The owner had been keeping his own zoo so to speak (on the mainland) and because of the amount and limited space that facility had they contacted their friends here who took as much as they could and then sent the too socialized with humans to their experienced volunteers. I only had her until they were able to get a hold of a zoo who would take her. As an illegally smuggled and bought animal who had grown up with humans without any of the precautions used to keep them independent, not to mention native to a different continent, there was no way to release her. I only had her for a little while... Made the mailman quit though... Then I had to show all my paperwork to the concerned cops that showed up at my door. I'm sure the nosy neighbors loved that. I miss having the jungle gym outside but sadly that was not mine to keep and when wildarc expanded they took all their lent equipment with them. I haven't had much except the occasional bird flew into a window to take care of.

Except Poe (yes my humor is that twisted)... He's a raven that hangs out by my place that I feed because he's a little gimpy and was skin and bones when I first saw him. Oh and there's a red tail uncreatively named hopper with a leg that doesn't appear to be functional. If I could capture it I would bring it in. But mostly it's just sparrows, robins, other songbirds, and the occasional squirrel. Never had a rabbit though... Probably a good thing though... I'm more a predator person then a prey person. The exception being deer and horses. Also, deer are evil.
                      Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

Quoth AkaiKitsune View Post
                        ... Also, deer are evil.
                        But they taste good!
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I remember my parents had some friends visiting their house who obviously weren't familiar with anything but the city/suburbs. So they got all gooey over some deer. "Oh, how cute! Take a picture!" And my mom sees the deer and starts clapping and making noise to chase them away. They looked like she had just kicked a puppy. She's like, I'd like to see SOME of my flowers bloom this year... I grew up thinking deer were pretty pests. And can taste okay, but eh I find it a little gamey.
                          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                            She's like, I'd like to see SOME of my flowers bloom this year...
                            I can see her point there ...

My brother has bird feeders all over his back yard ... so of course this attracts neighbourhood and stray cats. IIRC he used something like a Super Soaker. He said it got to the point where he'd fling open the screen door and whatever feline was stalking its prey would vanish like the wind. I love cats, but his response is understandable.
                            Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                              ...but eh I find it a little gamey.
                              Per my very opinionated mother, we always washed and prepared the meat exactly as she would lamb, beef or pork. Not any of those batshit "mighty hunter" delusions. Wouldn't surprise me if some of them didn't rub their kill with batshit!

I remember hunting with her one time, tracking one we'd wounded. Finally killed it, she said, "You clean it."
                              I responded, "OK. You hike back and get the '68 Toadrotor Lambcruiser down here.
                              Mom, "I'll clean it." (She grew up at the Willow Springs Pony Express Station (Callao) 1930-1950. It's still about 40 miles to the nearest paved road.)

We cooked it (my secondhand memory) as very lean beef. My wife got so tuned into venison (4 per year + whatever my parents gave us) that she had trouble dealing with beef.
                              Quoth Pixelated View Post
                              ... whatever feline was stalking its prey would vanish like the wind...
                              Jiggers! That hoser again!
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                                But they taste good!
                                That they do. I personally prefer lamb but can't cook it here because something about lamb just drives dogs completely bonkers. Had lamb at my aunts once and her dog chewed through the sliding door to get at it. This is an otherwise perfectly obedient and well behaved dog. I've had similar reactions in other people's dogs. Something about cooking lamb drives them nuts.

Deer's good but not my favourite. I've also had bear (killed because it had become aggressive towards humans and was actively ignoring easier prey to stalk people). Moose, caribou, any number of wild game birds, fish (whatever's running at the time. From salmon to tuna. I hate cod though. Always tasted like rubber to me. And of course your standard grocery meat. Me and a friend who does falconry will take his birds out sometimes to catch rabbits. I like bunnies.

The joy of coming from an dysfunctional military family. Someone's always hunting something. I've even had gator and scorpion (on a dare).

Comment

Working...
                                X