This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Crime Didn't Pay

The cab driver got a ticket. The officer clocked him at 95 in a 60 on the freeway.
    He asked to speak with a prosecutor.

His defense: he had a fare that was late for a flight, and was going to give him a huge tip if he got that family from the downtown hotel to the airport quickly. When the officer pulled him over, it took too long for the officer to run his license and issue the ticket, so the family missed the flight. They did not tip him at all.

He reasoned it was only fair that the ticket be dismissed because of that - after all, it was the "police's fault" he did not make it on time and get the money.

The prosecutor asked if the guy seriously thought it was OK for anyone to break the law just because someone was paying him to do it. He did not like that response, and demanded a jury trial.

Bet he gets the max from the jury with that defense.
    "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
    .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

all I could think-

that is a lucid ,intelligent well thought out objection

AkaiKitsune
    Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

The family couldn't get their act together to leave for the airport in plenty of time to catch their flight?

Their problem. Not the taxi driver's. He should not have made it his problem.
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Aren't you still supposed to get to the airport at least two hours before your flight leaves?

If you're cutting it so close that you'll miss the plane unless the driver goes way over the speed limit, you can forget making that flight. TSA will hold you up anyway.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
          If you're cutting it so close that you'll miss the plane unless the driver goes way over the speed limit, you can forget making that flight.
          We thought the same thing.
          It sounded fishy to us as well, but that was his story.
          "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
          .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
            Aren't you still supposed to get to the airport at least two hours before your flight leaves?

If you're cutting it so close that you'll miss the plane unless the driver goes way over the speed limit, you can forget making that flight. TSA will hold you up anyway.
            Heck even before 9/11 some airlines required you to be there at least an hour early. A couple months before 9/11 I was travelling to Denver and arrived at the ticket counter 10 minutes before takeoff and was denied and had to wait until the next flight.

Comment

I've lost track of how often I get people come up to ask the fastest train for one of the major airports, often with just an hour until their flight. Even assuming they're here just before a train is scheduled, it's still at least a 45 minute trip...
              This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
              I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                I've lost track of how often I get people come up to ask the fastest train for one of the major airports, often with just an hour until their flight. Even assuming they're here just before a train is scheduled, it's still at least a 45 minute trip...
                Let me guess - when you tell them this, their reaction is completely calm and reasonable, right?
                Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

How do you get a jury trial for a summary offense? I don't think that's possible. I'm sure it's not in my state. Traffic court doesn't have juries.

Comment

Pah! The Laws of Physics cannae be reasoned with, not even when ye be late. Observe.

-I need a tow truck, my car slid off the road and into the ditch.

-Okay, we'll be there in 15 minutes

-That's not fast enough!

-Then call someone else, that's how long it takes to drive 3 miles in city traffic on a Friday from here to there.

-Okay, fine, send him.

True Story

Irony- by arguing with us you've already made us later than we would have been.
                    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Shyla View Post
                      How do you get a jury trial for a summary offense? ..... I'm sure it's not in my state. Traffic court doesn't have juries.
                      In my native Illinois, that is an option, but few if any exercise it as that increases the court costs and defense attorney fees, win or lose.
                      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

The OP reminded me of this lovely tune.
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
                          We thought the same thing.
                          It sounded fishy to us as well, but that was his story.
                          Not as fishy as you think, having been a cab driver and having done the same thing in a cab that had to be steered to go straight. I'm getting paid to get them to the airport ASAP, whether they can get on the plane or not is their problem.

Quoth Shyla View Post
                          How do you get a jury trial for a summary offense? I don't think that's possible. I'm sure it's not in my state. Traffic court doesn't have juries.
                          Not sure, I've never heard of it being done before, but ifn I had to guess, I'd say traffic court was created as a way to reduce the load on the court system, by giving it a simplified no jury process, but you can go the full court route ifn you really want ot.
                          Last edited by Javarod; 06-28-2017, 12:35 AM. Reason: Added another reply
                          Seph
                          Taur10
                          "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Quoth Javarod View Post
                            I'm getting paid to get them to the airport ASAP, whether they can get on the plane or not is their problem.
                            However, if you break the law to do so then any tickets are your responsibility. That's what the cabbie in the original story didn't seem to realize.
                            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                              However, if you break the law to do so then any tickets are your responsibility. That's what the cabbie in the original story didn't seem to realize.
                              Quite true, I was replying though to the fact that their story sounded strange. Not at all really, only thing wrong was their attempt to weasel out of the ticket.
                              Seph
                              Taur10
                              "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Working...
                              X