This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Euro-prat

{Note: I do not want this thread derailed by comments on Europe, Brexit etc. Go to Fratching for that, please! This thread is about a sucky customer.}

The SC comes up to the till, barks "Pump five!" at me and slams down a note. I pick it up and immediately notice that it is a twenty euro note.

Me: Sorry, but we don't take euros here.
    SC: Britain is part of Europe! You have to accept it!
    Me: No, we don't.
    SC: Are you stupid or something? Britain is in Europe, so that means you can take euros!
    Me: Actually, Britain opted out of the single currency.

At this point, one of our regulars decides to intervene.

Regular: Damn, it's like he's been hiding under his bed for the past year.
    SC: What? What are you talking about?
    Regular: Brexit? Ever hear of it?

Several other customers then began to berate the customer, probably cuz they were sick of standing in line while this idiot mouthed off. Faced with such opposition to his views, the SC silently paid with a credit card and left. Oh, and he forgot his euro note. XD Since he never returned to claim it, it ended up in the charity tin.
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

Even an ignorant and very self absorbed American like me knows that England opted out of the Euro thing.

The choices I see is that your customer was crazy or did indeed live under a rock for the last year, or was even more self absorbed than I am and I find the third possibility to be highly questionable.

Comment

Euro Prat sounds like some new techno music straight outta Stuttgart.
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

He was probably one of the Oblivious. They're all around us.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

The press

Considering how much press and front page news it go here in Canada I can't imagine how someone can be British or European and not know about the break-up.

Even if the person was in some far off land and just arrived back in England, I can;t see that person now seeing the news over the internet.

The only other thing I could think of is that they just got out of prison, but I am pretty sure the news got even in there.

Comment

Even before Brexit - as LNS says, Britain was never part of the Eurozone, so why on earth this plum thought he could spend that in a petrol station is beyond me.
            Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
              Even before Brexit - as LNS says, Britain was never part of the Eurozone, so why on earth this plum thought he could spend that in a petrol station is beyond me.
              Even as a yank, I was thinking the same thing... Brexit or no, that was never gonna work. I might as well argue that NAFTA means I can spend my USD anywhere I want in Canada or Mexico.

Comment

At least he got rid of that pesky Euro note ...

As others have said, Brexit was HUGE news even on this side of the Atlantic. What planet was this idiot from?
                Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                  Even an ignorant and very self absorbed American like me knows that England opted out of the Euro thing.
                  What a moron. I went to London last fall. and while I was pretty sure they didn't use Euros, guess what, I CHECKED. Justto make sure I didn't make a fool out of myself.

Comment

He wants to get rid of any more € he can send to me. I can swap them.
                    AkaiKitsune
                    Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

The UK has never used Euro's... we kept our Sterling Pounds and Pence when the Euro came in on 1 January 2002...

Per history of Euro, originally twelve (12) of the 15 EU countries (Germany, France, Austria, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Belgium, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Finland, Greece and Ireland) were members of the so-called Eurozone. Euro history tells us that these states were joined later by Slovenia (2007), Cyprus (2008), Malta (2008), and Slovakia (2009).

Some shops in ferry-port towns on the South-East coastline eg Dover, Folkestone and Harwich that I personally know about, will accept Euro notes, but they will give any change due back in Sterling notes/coins. The ferries over to France and Holland will accept both Sterling and Euro currency.

Comment

Sweden has also been rather resistant to accepting the Euro, and we still get people that wants to pay with them

Comment

Quoth Weaselwise View Post
                          The UK has never used Euro's...
                          *snip*
                          That's what I thought. I was in the UK several years ago and was pretty sure I remembered NOT using Euros.
                          Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

20 Euros is a decent amount of money. Nice amount for charity.

Comment

Typical SC behavior. If I argue long and loud enough, the store will be convinced I'm right.
                              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Working...
                              X