This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustrating

Mostly a lurker, but once in awhile, I feel the need to share. Today I worked the super early shift. It was getting to the end of my shift, and I was pretty tired, and excited to get out of there, when my coworker called me. she needed help with a customer.
    The customer had a stroke so she couldn't really communicate to well. I have trouble, understanding people when they mumble a little, so I could not understand her, maybe a word or two. However she did have a list, so we looked at that. First item was shirts, we found a couple that fit the description that was written down. However, she didn't like them She couldn't really say a clear yes or no.

Next on her list was socks.. On the list, was written Sleep socks/not male. I wasn't really sure what was meant by sleep socks, but we tried to show her all the ones that had grippers on it. We failed, she kept on trying to explain, but we couldn't understand her. We were getting frustrated, and felt horrible, because if we were frustrated, I can't imagine how she felt. To not be able to communicate her needs, and have people not understand her.
    Finally we went and got the manager. The Manager, knew who the customer was, the customer has shopped with us before. The manager told me that an old coworker was usually pretty good at understanding her usually took her around store and was able to get most of the stuff on her list.

The manager, came and we were able to find some socks, that were acceptable. The manger, got a girl, from customer service, who is really patient, and good communication skills to take her around the store and complete her list. By that time I had to leave. I hope the lady was able to find, everything she needed.

I felt bad, because I wanted to help, and wouldn't of minded going around with her to help out. I just couldn't understand her and she probably would of lost patience with me. I put this in general because she wasn't really sucky, it was just frustrating.

That can be pretty frustrating, I know. My aunt had a stroke and often has to repeat words until the person listening can figure them out. Over the phone it's even harder. She does try, and I'm sure it's even more frustrating for her.

Sleep socks = probably those fleecy anklet-type "lounge" socks. I don't think guys wear them at all, so I'm not sure why she would write "not male", but maybe I'm wrong about what the item is.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Yeah, that is what I thought, but she rejected all the ones, we showed. So then I wasn't sure. I went to the back, to look through some boxes, of overstock. We finally found ones, she liked, color, and, size length, at the bottom of shipper.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        Sleep socks = probably those fleecy anklet-type "lounge" socks. I don't think guys wear them at all, so I'm not sure why she would write "not male", but maybe I'm wrong about what the item is.
        I've been noticing color variations coming out for the older male variety.

Comment

Unfamiliar speech patterns can play havoc with everybody's sanity, especially in retail.

I had a lady come in today and ask what I thought was a question about somebody who was working there. She had an accent, but that wasn't the real problem -- the real problem is that we were standing near the shop entrance so were getting the benefit of that lovely dull roar from the mall hallways -- plus I think I'm developing tinnitus.

She was quite polite and made a third effort and the light suddenly dawned. She wasn't asking about John Somebody "working" here ... she was asking if we sold St. John's wort!

Alas, after all that, I had to tell her we didn't.

Comment

I've dealt with that a few times. I'm usually fairly good at deciphering accents, but for some reason recently customers with super-thick accents and/or odd speech impediments decide to ask me for help right under one of the ceiling speakers. Combine an ill-timed page (usually from a CW who feels the need to YELL, few people in the store know how to use a PA properly) with the usual 'music' and ambient noise and it's hard for me to suss out what some people are saying, even more so if they wind up using the wrong word.

I'm sure I've sent at least one person to the wrong aisle before
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I've been having problems lately with a Deaf friend who is slowly - very slowly! - teaching me some sign language. I know it frustrates him and it makes me feel sucky when he makes so much effort to talk to me and I then misunderstand him.
              I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Working...
              X