This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeeeeooouch! (long)

I have to wear a portable IV 20 hours a day. The IV is kept in a backpack for easy transportation. The line sticks out of the little hole and connects to the catheter that is permenantly attatched to my thigh. Some of you might be wondering why it's not in my chest or arm. That's because they're running out of veins in my chest and they only use my arm for temporary IVs.

Anyways, I always hold the line over my shoulder so people don't accidently step on it or trip on it. And it is plain as day that I'm on an IV because you can actually see the line tucked into my pants where the catheter is. So I'm asked to get some tuna from the back and restock the shelves. I'm sitting on my knees restocking the shelves with tuna when I feel an EXTREMELY sharp pain in my thigh. I mean on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the worst pain, this pain went up to 1000. It felt like something was tugging at the line. I immediately screamed, "YEEEOOOUCH! HOLY F*ING SH*T! OW!" (Yes, I do curse when I'm in terrible pain. I don't tolerate pain very well.) I turn to see what was tugging on my line, and there is this guy who looks like he's in his 20s with his face all pale and with that "Oh crap, I'm in trouble" look on him.

Of course, everybody heard me scream including the manager. He runs over thinking someone's been killed (poor guy) and sees me clutching my thigh and this guy looking all guilty. He put 2 and 2 together and really starts tearing him a new one going, "What the bloody hell do you think you're doing?!" Oh, you'll love this guy's answer. He goes, "I just wanted to see if she was really attatched to that thing." The manager looked like he was going to kick this guy's a** out on the curb, so this genius decides it would be better if he just left right now. How right he was. He sheepishly walks out of the store after leaving his shopping basket at the counter.

The manager let me take an early break, so I drove home and checked on the IV site to make sure this idiot didn't manage to pull the damn thing out! Luckily, he didn't, but I still spent the rest of my break with an ice pack tied onto my thigh while I drove back to work. But seriously! If you see a person with a backpack that's making whirring noises, has tubes sticking out of an opening, connected to even more tubes that's tucked into someon's pants, common sense tells you DON'T TOUCH! I don't care how curious you are, curiousity killed the cat! And it almost became true for this guy, because I was about ready to whack him on the head with my backpack! (I know that sounds harsh, but he could have put me in the hospital!)
    "But I don't want to be among mad people."
    You can't help that. We're all mad here. Every fucking one of us.

Didn't people learn to keep their hands to themselves in kindergarten? If he was that freaking curious he should have just ASKED you about it! That makes me so mad that idiot thought he could just touch a total stranger like that!
    "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

It's none of his fucking business even if he is curious! You should have whacked him! And in his 20s? Ugh, some people are too stupid to be let out in public.

Comment

Ugh..unsolicited touching. I presume you're female from your handle (apologies if I am wrong) - I find there is a certain subset of men (usually) who really do think it's ok to touch (or tug on, in this case) women they are curious about, even if they are complete strangers. This sounds like the epitome of these idiots! Seriously, how could anyone with a functioning brain do that!?

I used to wear a long rubber skirt with an interesting marbled pattern, to gothic and alternative nightclubs and I had a LOT of men who would reach out, without permission, and grab a handful of my thigh or butt and try to get a good long squeeze. When I called them on it, their lame response usually was "I wanted to know what the material felt like!". Well, ya know what, Mr Curious? STIFF SHIT!

Last edited by Best Made Tacos; 06-02-2007, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Good God why did nobody call the police here? He could have very seriously injured you. I do not condone assault on customers but I am 99% sure I would have taken a swing.

Comment

Yeowch!

The guy was an ass, plain and simple. I would've asked what was up with that thing, but I don't touch without permission... if only because I like being a bass and don't want to go to soprano.

Oh, and have you ever thought about wearing the tube under your shirt, or would that not be possible?
            ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
            And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

That's terrible! He didn't even apologize.

It's the kind of thing I can imagine a curious 2 year old doing or a naughty 4 year old who needs a year in the naughty corner, but an adult? It's not like anyone carries around IVs that aren't attached to them just for fun.
              Every day at work is the new worst day of my life.

Comment

Could you have had him charged with assault?
                Maybe that would teach him to keep his damn hands to himself.

Comment

As I was reading your story, I kind of sensed where it was going, and I expected the culprit to be a nosy child. Reading that it was a GROWN MAN randomly pulling on your I.V....WTF?!?

Oh, and I seriously cringed/felt ill reading that. I don't mind needles, but needles being yanked/pulled/moved while stuck in somebody seriously makes me go
                  --Kim--

“It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane.” Philip K. Dick

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
                    Yeowch!

The guy was an ass, plain and simple. I would've asked what was up with that thing, but I don't touch without permission... if only because I like being a bass and don't want to go to soprano.

Oh, and have you ever thought about wearing the tube under your shirt, or would that not be possible?
                    It's not possible. The catheter is in my thigh and sticks out of my pants. If I put the tube under my shirt, I'm gonna have a hell of a time trying to keep it in my shirt since the tubes are so long. Plus it's a 4 liter bag I have to carry around all day, and that is really heavy. It's best if I just keep it outside and just sling the line over my shoulder.
                    "But I don't want to be among mad people."
                    You can't help that. We're all mad here. Every fucking one of us.

Comment

Quoth Princess-Snake View Post
                      It's not possible. The catheter is in my thigh and sticks out of my pants. If I put the tube under my shirt, I'm gonna have a hell of a time trying to keep it in my shirt since the tubes are so long. Plus it's a 4 liter bag I have to carry around all day, and that is really heavy. It's best if I just keep it outside and just sling the line over my shoulder.
                      I'm the daughter of an RN.... And you just sent my curiosity through the roof. But I won't touch.

Comment

How did that a-hole live to be 20? Kudos to your manager for sticking up for you. I know it's the right thing to do, but it's still nice hear.
                        Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.
                        ~Oscar Wilde

Comment

Quoth Princess-Snake View Post
                          It's best if I just keep it outside and just sling the line over my shoulder.
                          Well, I was thinking something along the lines of threading the tube up under your shirt and out your collar, but I guess they'd still tug on the part that went from collar to pack, so there's really no point.
                          ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                          And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
                          X