This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lineup expectations & rants

I guess SC's aren't still grasping the concept of expectations in lineups so i'll key in what I believe.

#1: Most importantly You are not in line if you aren't close to the person in front of you, don't be scared of invading someone's personal space. if the last person in line doesn't have anyone right behind them ( about 1/4 of a foot) then they are entitled to be the next in that line despite the amount of space that person has in front of them.

#2: When you walk into a store or a fast food outlet and you end up standing at the wrong till and you're the only one in that area, the employee should recognize you as the next in line. If the employee isn't oblivious to her surroundings and some other schmuck come in the store/fast food restaurant and goes to another till and you end up going in front of him, chances are this a$$hole will say he's next in line when he isn't and there is no obvious sign saying the till is closed.

#3: After reading one post on this site I couldn't believe it myself as a bitchy customer was impatient at the person at the self checkout to hurry up even though other tills are open. Well if I was that person I can call the police on this individual and charge him/her for harassment. If you don't like waiting for a non-employer to finish their thing, don't harass them and get your a$$ to a service till instead.
    Providing Excellent customer service and Filtering out nonsense people.

... Alright. Frankly, you confuse me. Help me out, here?

One of the things that we usually hate when folks do is get up in our personal space, in a grocery line. Some heavy breather at our back doesn't put us at ease, nor does getting our ankles bruised by a cart from behind. Also, a fourth of a foot is three friggin' inches. If someone is that far in my bubble only for the sake of "being in line", they would get a sharp elbow.

I guess my confusion on the rest of it is just as regards a matter of scale of reactions. My thought, though, is that it's really NOT the cashier's duty to keep track of who's in the wrong line. No, there's no SIGN, per se, but if there is a person manning one till and nobody at the other, one could hopefully deduce where they should be. I know when I was a coffeeslave, the only effort we gave to those trying to pay at the closed till was to let them know they needed to get into the line for the open one. We would try to tell them that before they'd been there for five, ten minutes, but that was curtosy, not duty.

Comment

Quoth MinimaMagistra View Post
      ... Alright. Frankly, you confuse me. Help me out, here?

Atleast, I am not the only one who is confused by the first post.
      Under The Moon Paranormal Research
      San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth HALFHUMANHALFZOMBIE View Post
        #1: Most importantly You are not in line if you aren't close to the person in front of you, don't be scared of invading someone's personal space.
        Personal space varies from culture to culture, and from person to person. If someone from the Australian Outback happened to be in a line in New York City, they'd be a significant-to-New-York distance from the person in front of them, and they'd be feeling horribly crowded by the person behind them.

Most of the time, line-space variation isn't going to be as extreme as in that example, but it happens. I think you should just deal with it. If you're not sure if someone's in line, do as I do: ask.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I understood it perfectly. Sometimes I don't know who is in line or not when some customers would stand to the side while there would be a LINE of customers. Sometimes I feel like they are going to cut right in front of me.

Comment

The first post was written sarcastically, guys. The OP was writing from the perspective of the SC.

(Please correct me if I'm wrong, HALFHUMANHALFZOMBIE)

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

How would you like it if the front end of a store is really busy and you find the end of a lineup and some a$$hole behind you says something witty like (not so fast) and you're thinking WTF was he in line? Well people should line up in a way that it is so freakin obvious. Not enough space in front of you for someone to barge in. I know I hate it when someone breathes down my neck and where I live about 90% of the time you ask one of them if they are in line they reply with a stern, obsessed irate tone that they are.

And another thing is how a place can be so busy, the checkouts look like a complete mess. Could anyone in a group of people speak up when they enter a store and say "What a mess.... this is fu*king retarded lets shop somewhere else" or some sh*t like that.

I'm not saying this from a SC's point of view I'm just tired of people saying theya re in line when they are 12 feet from the person in front of them.

Comment

Ah. Where I live, personal space is significantly variable.

To add to the potential confusion, if the line is long enough that it would otherwise block people from passing, it's usual to leave a gap wide enough for a person+shopping trolly to go through the middle of the line.

So it's also considered usual to ask if a person is in line, and I've never had anyone be impolite about answering that question.
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth HALFHUMANHALFZOMBIE View Post
                  I'm not saying this from a SC's point of view I'm just tired of people saying theya re in line when they are 12 feet from the person in front of them.

Oh, I see. In your original post, you said "don't be scared of invading someone's personal space", so I assumed we were talking much less of a distance than 12 feet.
                  I get it now, thanks for clarifying.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
                    Oh, I see. In your original post, you said "don't be scared of invading someone's personal space", so I assumed we were talking much less of a distance than 12 feet.
                    I get it now, thanks for clarifying.
                    You're welcome man

Comment

Working...
                    X