Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Again, what an idiot. I've worked in numerous domesticated and non-domesticated animal situations, and with all animals, you don't touch unless you get permission from the owner/keeper AND the animal.

We have a 93-lb yellow lab at my parents, and I have 2 kitties, about 9lbs each, and I won't even allow them in the same room unless the cats are caged--they still have all their claws, and I have no doubt they would take Sunny (the lab) out in a heartbeat if they felt threatened, even though she'd just be saying hi.

Also, Sunny is a friendly, happy, licky dog, but if she feels threatened, she can switch moods rather quickly and will growl and open her mouth at you, though she really doesn't bite. She's learned quite quickly with me that I'll scruff her (all 93-lbs of her) and then carry her off for a time out if she tries any of that shite, but not everyone can handle her the way I do.
    "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Everybody's been saying how they felt sorry for the guy up until they learned that he'd opened the carrier himself. Personally, he lost it for me once he said he'd sue them, the hospital, et all. Screaming while being punctured is understandable. All the ranting afterwards is just the mark of an undiscovered SC.

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
        and yet, in either circumstance, they hurt just as much.
        yeah, they have little needle claws when their little...we have a pic of one of the cats at 7 weeks old climbing up my brother's leg, and then up on his shoulder biting his ear...but it's so cute you let them do it!
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth MinimaMagistra View Post
          Everybody's been saying how they felt sorry for the guy up until they learned that he'd opened the carrier himself. Personally, he lost it for me once he said he'd sue them, the hospital, et all. Screaming while being punctured is understandable. All the ranting afterwards is just the mark of an undiscovered SC.
          When a cat shreds your legs, the pain continues for some time. I can understand the yelling and even the threatening at that point, and even have sympathy for the poor guy. I even have a bit of sympathy for him after I found out that it was self-inflicted.

No respect for him, but a bit of sympathy.

Comment

I tawt I taw a putty tat! I did! I did tee a putty tat!

Great story...dumb bleeding man!
            Retail Haiku:
            Depression sets in.
            The hellhole is calling me ~
            I don't want to go.

Comment

What a prat. XD He brought it on himself, and doesn't deserve sympathy; if he'd done it while my cat was in the carrier, he'd be lucky to leave on foot as opposed to a stretcher. O_o

My kitty is what I like to call an attack cat. She attacks everyone cept me, and she's huge. XD
              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
              My DeviantArt.

Comment

It becomes obvious this man never had to catch a feral kitten before.

Once, we had a stray mama cat and her three babies dropped on us by some bistach who will get driven into the ground when I find him. Anyway, we got the mama and two of the babies, but the third baby was wild and she took off in all sorts of insane directions so that we never could catch her.

So, finally, I had a plan...she hid under a car that only had one exit (the car was a broken-down hunk of metal that had been there so long that the grass was grown up around it everywhere). So, I laid on my front on the hood of the car and waited. After about an hour, the baby finally started to crawl out, and I pounced, landed full-on on her and held on.

Now, I was about 170 pounds at the time and working out five days a week. This was a half-pound kitten. By the time my mother heard the screaming and got outside with a towel to wrap the kitten in, I was bleeding so bad that we thought I'd lost a finger. I STILL have the scars.

BTW, we named her Macy...like mace.
                "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

This sounds like my grandmother's cat, Buffy. I call her Buffy The Vet Slayer, because she tore him up so bad last time she took her in, the vet has refused to see this cat again, and frankly I don't blame him. Although she has since been declawed, she still uses her back claws and her teeth to full advantage, and she absolutely hates everybody except my grandmother. I've been the target of this cat's wrath ever since I tried to catch her and put her in the basement during a family dinner.

This cat's predecessor, Bridget, was a full blooded Siamese with a nasty temper. During summer, you walked past the dining room table in shorts at your own risk, for you never knew which chair this cat was laying on, hidden by the table cloth. Your only clue was a paw full of bared claws slashing out at lightning speed at your leg. Surprisingly, as this cat aged, she calmed down, to the point that in her last few months, she became docile enough that I could pet her without her trying to slash my hand off.
                  A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

There is a family of feral cats living outside my brother's ground-floor apartment. They stay up all night yowling. And I learned the hard way that they will attack you if you're carrying take-out cheeseburgers.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

My cat is one of those that usually doesn't like people, other kitties, or even the vet. He has attacked the neighbors cats when they've come too far into his territory...yet will usually run and hide if 'strangers' are in his house. Because he's sometimes unpredictable, whenever he goes to the vet, I put him in his carrier. He hates that too, and will fight like hell to stay out of it. Yet, when I get him to the vet's...he won't come out of there. And yes, he has bitten the vet before.
                      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth IT Grunt View Post
                        This sounds like my grandmother's cat, Buffy. I call her Buffy The Vet Slayer, because she tore him up so bad last time she took her in, the vet has refused to see this cat again, and frankly I don't blame him. Although she has since been declawed, she still uses her back claws and her teeth to full advantage, and she absolutely hates everybody except my grandmother. I've been the target of this cat's wrath ever since I tried to catch her and put her in the basement during a family dinner.

This cat's predecessor, Bridget, was a full blooded Siamese with a nasty temper. During summer, you walked past the dining room table in shorts at your own risk, for you never knew which chair this cat was laying on, hidden by the table cloth. Your only clue was a paw full of bared claws slashing out at lightning speed at your leg. Surprisingly, as this cat aged, she calmed down, to the point that in her last few months, she became docile enough that I could pet her without her trying to slash my hand off.
                        .... it's the names. I (and my family) have had a lot of cats over the last 3+ decades, of all sizes, colors, and breeds. Some were born feral, others were from shelters, some moved in on their own.

Only one of them was ever mean, and that was a female Siamese that the previous owners had given the awful name of Missy. She hated that name. Just saying it would make her hiss.

We changed her name to Miss Murph and she settled down a lot.

Buffy is fine for a nickname, but as a proper name for a Siamese, you'll end up with a cat that hates you. Siamese seem to be particularly sensitive to their names.

Declawing cats is cruel and unusual and I'm glad that Europe has banned it and that most US vets refuse to do it any more.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth MinimaMagistra View Post
                          Man, that was AWESOME. I was laughing aloud, reading that. Especially at the point where you narrate how Bleeding Leg Man becomes Bleeding Leg and Face Man.

I could tell stories about angry cats tethered to the ceiling for grooming purposes launching themselves like those toy airplanes that go around and around,

Bwahahaha at the idjit

I have this incredibly vivid image of kitties flying with their legs a runnin', tails a flapping, and screaming rowr, rowr, rowr as they go in circles up in the air. LMAO!!!
                          Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

My last cat (also a Siamese) didn't like strangers one bit, but he was the run-and-hide type rather than the take-a-piece-outa-you type, but every once in awhile he'd do something that mystified me.

One weekend I had friends over for a game of Dungeons and Dragons; the DM and I went into the next room for a brief confer (since the other characters weren't supposed to know what was happening). While we were talking, Mister Shyguy himself hopped up onto the back of the recliner she was sitting in. She ignored him and he sat there for a few minutes watching and listening. Pretty soon, he ooooooozed down to the armrest and watched and listened some more. She continued to 'ignore' him, though she glanced at him once or twice. Finally, he crossed the Rubicon and settled himself onto her lap for the duration and began to purr. He had never done that before with anyone who wasn't family, and she had never been over to my house before that weekend - she was a total stranger to him. I couldn't believe my eyes. I guess she just gave off the right pro-kitty vibes or something.
                            Civilized men tend to be ruder than savages because they know they can be impolite without getting their skulls split, as a rule.
                            - Robert E. Howard

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                              .... it's the names.
                              My cat is called Cleopatra, after the Queen of Egypt; and boy, does she know it. She lives up to her name one hell of a lot, despite being a moggy with zero pedigree.

Strangely enough, she hates other female cats but loves the boys; unless of course they try to bully her, then she rips them up. The people who used to live accross the road from my parents were pissed off with us cuz she ripped their tom cat up when he jumped on her back. XD Silly him; she's a spay!
                              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                              My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                                Declawing cats is cruel and unusual and I'm glad that Europe has banned it and that most US vets refuse to do it any more.
                                I agree. Don't want this to devolve into a debate on that, so I'll pretty much leave it there, but I couldn't bring myself to declaw my girls, even if they tear up my carpet and furniture, no matter how many expensive toys/scratching posts they own. Silly girls.
                                "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Working...
                                X