This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grumble - New computer irritations

Just got a new laptop at work. About freakin' time. My last one (that I got last year, mind you) was a hand-me-down from another department and was probably about 5 years old when I got it. At least this one is brand spankin' new.

The downside is that I now have to go and reinstall all of the custom applications I need to do my job because IT has no idea what all I use to do my job. Not really a major deal, but it is a pain in the backside trying to get it all together and make sure I haven't missed anything.

So much for getting any real work done for the rest of the week. (I'm working half day tomorrow and off the rest of the week.)
    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Quoth Crossbow View Post
    Just got a new laptop at work. About freakin' time. My last one (that I got last year, mind you) was a hand-me-down from another department and was probably about 5 years old when I got it. At least this one is brand spankin' new.

The downside is that I now have to go and reinstall all of the custom applications I need to do my job because IT has no idea what all I use to do my job. Not really a major deal, but it is a pain in the backside trying to get it all together and make sure I haven't missed anything.

So much for getting any real work done for the rest of the week. (I'm working half day tomorrow and off the rest of the week.)
    I feel your pain, that's why I keep putting off doing a complete nuke & pave on my desktop at home, which is full of problems I won't even begin to go into cause I'd need something to lower my bloodpressure It's easier to live with/work around all the crappy behaviour than to try to figure out all the varous obscure software I have on here, track down the disks or websites and re-install. (Backing up data to put back on it no problem, it 's all the little apps and things I've accumulate over the years.

Madness takes it's toll....
    Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
      It's easier to live with/work around all the crappy behaviour than to try to figure out all the varous obscure software I have on here, track down the disks or websites and re-install. (Backing up data to put back on it no problem, it 's all the little apps and things I've accumulate over the years.
      Recently I've bought a few 32GB flash drives and made sure all my apps, installs and games were on them. Suddenly life is really, really easy when you have to set up a comp. Better than having to load a CD/DVD into the tray and... oh right, this drive doesn't work, and the external one is no good because the driver's messed up somehow...
      Why do they make Superglue but not Batglue?

Comment

Quoth Zoom View Post
        Recently I've bought a few 32GB flash drives and made sure all my apps, installs and games were on them. Suddenly life is really, really easy when you have to set up a comp. Better than having to load a CD/DVD into the tray and... oh right, this drive doesn't work, and the external one is no good because the driver's messed up somehow...
        I put the rescue suite on a stick - malwarebytes remover renamed and set to autorun. You have no idea how frequently this gets used with some of my friends

I swear I have been thinking of doing a mass purchase of sticks and making duplicates and giving them out as christmas presents. *sigh*
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
          I swear I have been thinking of doing a mass purchase of sticks and making duplicates and giving them out as christmas presents. *sigh*
          Dear friend whose email keeps sending me spam links 2/3 times a year:

Please shove this stick up your @%#$ USB port the next time you have a problem.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post

Make sure you use sticks with a read only switch and glue it on .

Comment

Working...
            X