This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop Bugging Me..

Had an exterminating service in the pawn shop today for monthly maintenance. First thing in the morning is generally busy because we're checking our purchases/pawn forfeits for the day. We've done business with this company for a while so we allow them to spray the building un attended except for the safe room.

All of our non jewelery/vehicle pawns are in here in addition to our buys on hold. By law, anything purchased must be held for 7 days before it can be put onto the sales floor. This gives the police department time to go over our reports to see if anything bought is stolen. If an item is sold before the hold, it is a misdemeanor. This means we don't even bother to price anything, refurbish, clean, etc until this hold is up.

I have 2 somewhat new paint ball guns we purchased 3 days ago on hold. They're in a bin along with the contents of the entire purchase. One gun is in a case. I'm giving my boss our reports for the day and one of the exterminators comes up and asks about one of the paint ball guns. My boss tells him it's on hold, we can't sell it yet. He seems bummed but asks if we're sure we can't. My boss says, "yes, I'm sure by law I cannot sell it for a week". He goes off to complete spraying.

While I'm ckecking up on any buys to come out, the same exterminator comes up and asks what I want for the smaller gun. I'm heading down stairs anyway and I look at the box and say "which gun are you interested in?" I don't see it off hand and this is because it was in a case. So, in order to see it he not only went into the box, but opened something inside it. He makes a very low offer on the gun, I tell him that I do not know what we want to price them as. I took a shot in the dark and told him a round-about-figure that I might ask for it later on. He starts trying to negotiate with me and I shrug it off. I tell him to come back and see me in a week. He really wants to take this home and I explain to him again that I cannot take this off hold, even though I know the person it came from and it is not stolen, the cops can come by and request to see them if someone reports a similar item stolen (happens all the time). If it isn't there, we're in trouble.

By this time, I'm back up front printing new tags for some items when he asks, "Are you sure I can't buy it today? I live over an hour away". I, again, tell him no.

Unless you work there, you're not going to know what is on hold and is a pawn. I'm not all too thrilled with someone thinking it was perfectly alright to go through boxes. It was also very annoying that he kept on bothering us about it after being told no.

I wanted to call and report this to his supervisor, but I thought it would be a bit much. Instead, someone is going to accompany them from now on to ensure our customer's property is not disturbed.

So, in order to see it he not only went into the box, but opened something inside it.
    So wait a minute... he's there working and he's pawing through boxes in your safe room?

And then after being told you can't sell it as per the LAW he goes and bugs you twice more?

I'm thinking you're being pretty easy on him myself.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
      So wait a minute... he's there working and he's pawing through boxes in your safe room?

And then after being told you can't sell it as per the LAW he goes and bugs you twice more?

I'm thinking you're being pretty easy on him myself.
      I agree, that's extrememly unprofessional behavior to say the least. Anyone who has a job where they go into a business or home has to be scrupulous about not bothering personal property (and anything there is the personal property of the business). Asking (once) about an item that was in plain sight, ok, but rummaging thru boxes Nope, way over the line.

Madness takes it's toll....
      Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Somebody's boss needs a phone call . . .

Comment

Quoth bubblelittlepally View Post
          I wanted to call and report this to his supervisor, but I thought it would be a bit much. Instead, someone is going to accompany them from now on to ensure our customer's property is not disturbed.
          Make the call; if he's doing this in your workplace, he's doing it in other properties as well & who knows if he's limiting his misbehaviour to "merely" opening boxed goods to check on the contents... CYA at all times.
          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I'm not all too thrilled with someone thinking it was perfectly alright to go through boxes.
            I wanted to call and report this to his supervisor, but I thought it would be a bit much.
            Digging through a customer's stuff without permission? Definitely report him.
            There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

I agree with RealUnimportant. Do this company's other customers a favor and report his behavior to his manager.

I would also tell the manager that he is not welcome on site again.
              Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
              Save the Ales!
              Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                I agree with RealUnimportant. Do this company's other customers a favor and report his behavior to his manager.

I would also tell the manager that he is not welcome on site again.
                This, absolutely. If he's gonna dig through stuff, who's to say the next time he sees something he likes, he won't just pocket it?

Comment

Definitely call in and report it!

I wish one of my ex-coworkers had done it with our cleaning crew, when they caught them pawing through the shelves of completed repair items! Might have prevented the major theft of items a week after that.

So not only is it not professional, it could be that he was casing the joint for later crime. Just report him and save everyone a bit of headache.
                  If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Do you have video? Find it and send it to the company.
                    I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Working...
                    X