This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use your mirrors!

Possibly a sighting, but it involves a stupid driver, so I put it here. Mods, if this needs to be moved, I'm sorry for the bother.

So, I took my non-smoking co-worker to the supermarket and sat in the car (windows down) enjoying a smoky treat while she ran in for desperately needed office supplies. (Chocolate, we were out of chocolate and we have 2 preggy sups who sent us on a short road trip.)

The Stupid Driver of the car parked nose to nose with mine came back, got into his car and proceeded to back out while poking something on his dashboard. There just happened to be a car behind him and blamo! against the side of the car.

His eyes came up, he looked around, he glared at his dashboard and jumped out yelling "Its not my fault! My back-up camera wasn't turning on!"

The Driver of the Injured Car got out and said something about how much it bites when equipment failures happen and did SD have insurance. SD just repeated that it wasn't his fault, his camera wasn't working, so the DIC would need to sue SD's auto manufacturer over the damage.

Oddly enough, this did not make DIC happy.

I missed part of what was being said next because my co-worker came back and I touched my lips in a shushing gesture, pointed to my ear and then at what was happening. Being the smart girl she is, she quietly got into the car and then leaned close to her window so she could listen as well.

Things were starting to get really heated, but then DIC guy said "F*** it! I'm not moving my car until I have your insurance and contact information.", got into his car, turned his hazard lights and pulled out his phone.

SD finally gave DIC info and we left and DIC left.

When we got back to work, our sups squeeled with delight, opened the chocolate they had asked for, ate a piece and then told us that what they really wanted was something baked that had a lot of chocolate.

Back we went. SD's car was still sitting there and he had a couple of what looked like managers and was talking and pointing at where he thought cameras were. I couldn't park close enough to hear what he was saying, but he sure was animated.

And before anyone asks, yes, he did have the required 3 mirrors on his car, he just never looked up to check them.

even if he had back up camera's it tells u not to use them for backing out pretty sure tho its going to be considered 50/50 because its in a parking lot unless someone admits fault or the cops come out and note the person at fault. I backed into someone admitted fault had the claim filed and approved for the other person in 10 minutes never heard back from inshurance since I admitted fault however this women's husband insisted the cops be called I was running late to a Christmas play for my daughter was in a parking lot that had everyone leaving and delivery's being made so it wasn't like I wasn't looking but I couldn't see with a delivery truck and other things going on. However then the cops comes yelling at me u gave me the wrong address excuse me I didn't call you nor did I give u the address the other person husband who isn't here called u and gave u the wrong address and I directed u to where I was when they handed me the phone.

Comment

yes, he did have the required 3 mirrors on his car, he just never looked up to check them.
      Which should indeed have been his primary method all along. Backup cameras are there to supplement your mirrors; e.g. to see if a small child has decided to camp out right behind your bumper because he feels like it.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

You do not use your mirrors to backup. Your nose is to point in the direction you are traveling. You only use your mirrors if you view is obstructed, i.e. a van with no rear window or a vehicle towing a trailer.

That aside, the driver is responsible for maintaining the vehicle. The failed backup camera is his fault.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Heh. That's what I get for posting when I'm not yet truly awake I shall clarify. I was speaking mostly for when one is in a parking lot, where obstructions are the rule, rather than the exception.

Well, that, and my neck/back issues make that more difficult than it is for most; I have to rely on the mirrors more than usual, tho I still turn my body and neck as far as they'll go. x.x I'm just glad I don't have to parallel park -- even before I got injured a few years ago, I could never get the hang of that. I will go find a spot a block or two away rather than try to park parallel.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

That's why, whenever possible, I back into a space (in my car - ALWAYS in my truck). I've seen some idiots park nose-in between a couple of full-height trailers - they'll need to back up about 60 feet before they can see what's in the aisle.

Guy backing out of the space is 100% at fault - pulling out of a space MUST yield to traffic in the aisle, vehicle backing up MUST yield to vehicles going forward.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Wasn't picking on you, Eric. I see it all the time. Drivers throw the car in reverse and start moving without looking and only use the rear view, and not even the side.

I myself drive a pickup. The mirrors give me a better view, but I still turn to look.

I have thought for a while now that a number of the new safety features in cars are making the drivers more careless. As demonstrated by the OP's post.
              Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
              Save the Ales!
              Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Sadly, a friend of mine's car got tagged by a car backing out of a garage (in a condo complex). The insurances decided it was 50/50 for some stupid reason...
                “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                  Guy backing out of the space is 100% at fault - pulling out of a space MUST yield to traffic in the aisle, vehicle backing up MUST yield to vehicles going forward.
                  Exactly. This is a particular pet peeve of mine right now. Two weeks before Christmas, 13 Dec to be exact, I was in a parking lot. Driving up an aisle, I had stopped to let someone walk by. Woman on my right started backing up. It took a little longer to register that she was moving because she had no back-up lights. She was about to hit my front end when I hit the horn. I rammed my right thumb into the horn button so hard that I tore a ligament.

Two months later and it's still not healed...mainly because I'm right-hand dominant and I won't leave it alone long enough to heal.

I've noticed a lot people assuming that they have right-of-way and don't have to look when backing out of a space. I've been almost run over I don't know how many times. Once, when a man with a baby in a cart coming the other direction. You better believe I banged on the back of the truck that almost backed over us.
                  It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                    You do not use your mirrors to backup. Your nose is to point in the direction you are traveling. You only use your mirrors if you view is obstructed, i.e. a van with no rear window or a vehicle towing a trailer.
                    The bolded is the best advice I've ever had. LOOK where you are going. If you are on a 2 wheeled vehicle and think that you are going to lose in it in a curve, stop looking anywhere but where you want to be. Physically turn your head so your nose points where you are going and you will stop getting in busy situations.

As usual with random driving sightings, I don't know the end of the story. From the way SD was moving, I don't think that he wasn't able to turn around and look, and I know that he knew how to use mirrors because after the sudden stop, his eyes went up to his mirror before flicking back down to his back up camera.

He seemed like the sort of person who would drive into a flooded river if that is the way his GPS told him to go.

Shudders...we drive with the stupid every day.

Comment

I must be weird in that I use all of the available stuff to me when backing up. I turn my head, look in my mirrors, and use the back-up cam. Each thing offers more information than any of the things alone.
                      My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                      It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                        Sadly, a friend of mine's car got tagged by a car backing out of a garage (in a condo complex). The insurances decided it was 50/50 for some stupid reason...
                        Majority of the time they will decide its 50/50 in a parking lot unless there is solid proof that its one person not the other such as a case I had some guy like ran over the back end of my car it was parked at my moms job wile I used her car to move wasn't even going to say anything however a co worker of her witnessed it and told her so she got all his info... He offered me 500 it was his work truck and he didn't want his rates to go up I kindly declined and told him the car seat in my car was worth more then that it was a bit less but it was steal framed so it was expensive at that put he was at fault and so I won as my car was parked with no one in it.

Comment

:Looks at the title:

Andrew Younghusband, is that you?

Reference
                          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

"When you hear metal on metal... STAWWP!!"

Man, I'm shocked and a bit saddened at how little CWD has changed through the years. Andrew's gotten a lot more frustrated through the years, and Cellphones have exploded. But the habits are the same, the scare factor is still way up there.

I wish they would do another winter season.

Comment

Working...
                            X