This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discounted Valentine's Day candy

At the Kroger location I work at the Valentine's Day candy is 50% off. Yet I have had customers try to get it for less than that.

One customer commented that she was surprised that the candy was not discounted more than 50% off.
    Another customer asked me if a bag of Lindors candy, which was on sale for $3.00 was a good price. He was also buying a heart shaped box of candy that was 50% off. I just flagged down the Assistant Front End Supervisor and asked him if the Valentine's Day candy was half off. He said yes. The customer ended up only buying the heart shaped box of candy.
    Another customer made a comment to his wife that he thought that the candy, which was already discounted, was half off the discounted price.

I did not ask for assistance in these situations for the customer to get another discount. The candy was already half off to begin with. If these customers were expecting me to do this, then they were sadly mistaken.

What is it with customers wanting a discount on top of a discount?

Quoth snugglegirl05 View Post
    What is it with customers wanting a discount on top of a discount?
    It is what is known, in the area where I was born, as 'holding out your pudding for treacle'. In other words, already getting a good deal but just being plain greedy.
    Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
      It is what is known, in the area where I was born, as 'holding out your pudding for treacle'. In other words, already getting a good deal but just being plain greedy.
      Yeah, I agree that these customers are being greedy.
      The Kroger where I work at is trying to find a middle ground, and 50% the original price is a good deal to me.
      Plus, the location where I work at has to make some money off of this.

Comment

Takes a special kinda moron to gripe about cheap candy...

This is my favorite time of year, Valentines THEN Easter means GOOD cheap candy, like the peanut butter meltaway and giant bunny kind, not just bags of regular M&Ms in holiday colors.....
        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I always found Halloween to be the worst holiday for after-holiday SCs. A lot of entitled folks felt they were owed, OWED I tell you, a discount on top of the measly discount we were offering. No one wants to pay with a mere 50% discount after the holiday, don't you know. Even if the Halloween section was twice as big the day before, no one is actually BUYING the stuff. And besides, the 50% off sign means 50% off the DISCOUNTED price, don't you know?!? Man I hated the after-Halloween SCs.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Just because its a holiday color doesn't mean that it tastes any different a couple of days after the holiday.

Comment

And don't forget the morons who think the 50% sign means EVERYTHING within 5 miles of the sign is part of the sale

Comment

Yeah they are cheap. When sis worked at Kohl's, which is known for its markdowns, she had a woman come up to her register with two tops: One was marked down to $1.00, the other to $2.00.

Customer wanted to know why she couldn't have the $2 shirt for $1. She fussed about it and finally bought it, complaining the whole time.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Mama's getting some Reeses' hearts later today! Half off means the wife and I get a bag as well--which we have already started on...
                  “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                  One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                  The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                    Mama's getting some Reeses' hearts later today! Half off means the wife and I get a bag as well--which we have already started on...
                    ... have another little piece of my heart ...

There's a reason I refer to my kids as Rhesus's Monkeys...
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

A FamilyGeneralTree near me had a pile of V-Day candy by the register last night, mostly V-Day nougats (more about those later) and conversation hearts and a few other random non-chocolate things. Lady in front of me was digging through the boxes and making a giant mess.

She asked how much they were and was told, "50 cents a bag." She immediately proclaimed that was too much, since it was already March and it was crappy candy anyway. As she pushed for a bigger discount, the cashier (whom I know, he's a bright young'un with a lovely wicked sarcastic streak) just did the slow blink at her. So she threw her discount deodorant and Cheetos down and flounced toward the door.

I murmured something about how she apparently expected to be paid to take them, and Young'un grabbed a bag of the nougats, popped it open and offered me one.

And THAT'S when I found out that the V-Day nougats are peppermint (like the Christmas nougats). I adore the Christmas nougats; they're candy Kryptonite to me. So I said (OK, maybe I moaned) "OH MAN. Hook me up. 10 bags, no, 12."

He rang them up at 25 cents a bag. Bless his little pea-pickin' peppermint heart. (As he explained, he was actually boxing them up to go back; he had the discretion to charge whatever anybody would pay, since they were likely dumpster bound anyway. But she was a snot ... so ....)

Comment

I have a similar issue where I work because the discount appears as a separate line item on the screen, so like this:
                        SomeItem $RegularPrice
                        SDDiscountName $-DiscountAmount
                        This causes many issues, as the DiscountName rarely matches the item name, and sometimes there are stacked discounts, or ones that only appear at total causing much anger at why they didn't get their discount and how we are ripping them off, etc.

Comment

Working...
                        X