This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make up your mind

TLDR: Customer wants me to tell her what to do.

-------------------
    Customer wants a $24,000 home equity line of credit to consolidate 17k of debt and have some extra available for medical bills/emergencies. She and her husband are both retired and still have 12 years left on their 1st mortgage, so are a bit uncertain about the idea of putting more money on their house. The line of credit is also a variable rate, but so is 14k of that 17k in debt, and the credit cards are double the rate right now.

So, I end up spending an hour on the phone with customer to go over the home equity line of credit, compare it to what she has already, etc. Let her know the happy news that I can waive the appraisal for her also, so yay. She gives me the go ahead, and I start the title search/processing.

1 day in. Customer wants to increase limit to 25k instead of 24k. NP, but I warn her that 25k is the maximum I can do for her with a waived appraisal. Any higher amount, and I'll have to charge an appraisal. I get proof of income, remind customer that I need home insurance.

3 days in. Customer is nervous again about the variable rate. Spend another 45 minutes going over the loan. Customer decides to continue as is.

7 days in (due to weekend). Title search results come in. Call customer to remind her that I need verification of insurance. I have everything else, so once I get verification of insurance, I can schedule a closing appointment. Yay for waived appraisals and quick processing! Customer wants to increase amount to 26k. Remind customer that I would need to do an appraisal for any amount over 25k.

8 days in. Customer not certain about the variable rate. I'm not certain about a line of credit on this customer's home because her credit cards are all maxed out and imo she'll max out the line of credit and pay interest only for 15 years, then get hit with the balloon without expecting it despite this being the 3rd 45+ minute talk we've had over this now. Customer wants me to tell her what to do. I resist as I do not tell customers what to do, I go over pros and cons and leave the decision up to them.

9 days in. Customer decides to switch to the fixed term, fixed rate home equity loan. 15 year term to keep the payments low. Rate is higher at that term, but fixed, and still better than the credit cards (though not by nearly as much.. her credit card rates aren't bad). I send out new disclosures for the fixed term loan.

11 days in. Customer wants to know "is she doing the right thing". I go over options with her, but I cannot make the decision for her. In particular, I go over (again) the extra funds she is getting, "just in case". That is something that makes more sense for the line of credit as it can be available without the customer ever actually using it or being charged interest on it. Customer has me go over difference between line of credit and fixed term loan again (1st one is like a credit card, 2nd one is like a cash-out auto loan). 45 minutes later, she decides to reduce the home equity loan to 20k... then changes her mind...then says yes, reduce to 20k and take the term to 10-years for a lower rate... then no, don't do anything.

11 days in reprised. Customer wants me to tell her if it would be better to refinance her first mortgage and add in the extra money. I cannot answer this question as I do not know the rate she would qualify for on a 1st mortgage (cash out makes the rate higher) or what the exact fees would be. Customer wants me to explain the difference between a first and second mortgage, while not understanding every other line. Finally, customer has me get her in touch with 1st mortgages to look into refinancing her 1st mortgage with cash out to pay off the extra 17k in debt and maybe emergency funds. (Edited to add: customer spoke to 1st mortgages before putting in home equity application. They set her to me to start with.) Home equity loan is on hold.

Maybe.

11 days in was this past Friday. We'll see what comes up Tuesday.

*sigh*

But if I make up my mind it'll look like Tammy Fay Bakker!
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Any bets on this loan finally getting dropped by the wayside after all of bankworking's time and effort?

Comment

No takers here, elt177. I fully expected that to be the end of the story.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
          But if I make up my mind it'll look like Tammy Fay Bakker!
          Oh, now that is just high-octane nightmare fuel right there, with a touch of nitrous for good measure

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
            Any bets on this loan finally getting dropped by the wayside after all of bankworking's time and effort?
            Nope. I don't want to lose the money. But OMG does this woman not have a family member or close friend who can say "Here's what I would do in your circumstances" -- unlike bankworking, who CANNOT advise her on "what I should do."

At this point, and I don't mean to be cruel, but I'd be worried about giving this person any kind of loan, given her apparent inability to remember/understand things that have been explained to her two or three times.
            Last edited by Pixelated; 01-30-2017, 07:13 PM.
            Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I posted years ago about a similar situation I had with a customer. It's like, "Look. I can give you information and tell you the consequences, but I can't make the decision for you or tell you what to do with your own money."
              My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                ...I'd be worried about giving this person any kind of loan, given her apparently inability to remember/understand things that have been explained to her two or three times.
                This is exactly my thought as well, if she does take out the loan things will NOT end well - for either her or the institution...

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
                  This is exactly my thought as well, if she does take out the loan things will NOT end well - for either her or the institution...
                  Main worry would be that she'll run up the credit cards again, and then have a 17-25k second mortgage PLUS the credit card debt revised. Maxed out credit cards are a bad sign that someone doesn't know how to look at an available limit and not max it out. I'm rather glad she switched her mind away from the variable rate line of credit for that reason.

But yeah, she'll probably hem and hah and cancel on me. Which I don't mind, really. Rather she cancels than puts money on her house if she's not sure about it.
                  I just don't have time for another however many 45+ minute conversations.

Comment

Why is it I see her dragging this out for what seems like forever, wasting your time, until she finally decides to not do it?

Agreed, maxed-out credit cards are a HUGE red flag that this woman cannot handle finances well. And her questions and confusion only seem to confirm this...

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
                      Agreed, maxed-out credit cards are a HUGE red flag that this woman cannot handle finances well. And her questions and confusion only seem to confirm this...
                      I think we're beyond a red flag, and on to a maroon flag.

As in "What a maroon!"
                      Smile, or I'll smack you silly!
                      At what age does a vampire become a crazy old bat? :[

Comment

Update:

Tuesday: 1st mortgage originator tries to contact customer and leaves a voice message. Customer calls me back. Revises information I already told her and wants me to get the 1st mortgage originator to call her back NOW while she's home. Check 1st mortgage phone status which states he is in a meeting. It is 4 PM. I let customer know this isn't happening, but I will let him know to call her again when he can, probably tomorrow.

Today: Customer talked with 1st mortgages. Got an estimate of what they might be able to offer. Immediately calls me 5 times, leaving no voice message, until I am able to pick up the call. Tells me the 1st mortgage information and wants to know which is better. I do the math, based on the information given, and the home equity loan is better in savings because while the 1st mortgage rate is better than the home equity, it is only equal in rate to her current 1st mortgage, and the closing costs are high enough to eat up the interest savings plus some.
                        She wants to know why the first mortgage cuts her payment by $20 a month. I ask for the term. She says 30 years. Customer, we're looking at 10 and 15 year options. You have about 12-13 years remaining on your current 1st mortgage. Refinancing to a 30 year and ONLY saving $20 a month makes no sense. I suspect I have bad numbers given to me somewhere. Maybe the terms of her existing 1st mortgage are better than she believes, which would make it even more likely that leaving her first mortgage alone and going with the home equity is probably the better option.

Customer decides to talk with 1st mortgages again. She calls back 4 times in the next hour and a half. I am swamped and push her call to voicemail instead of answering. This makes me feel guilty, but I have 50 plus others with applications in progress, and there is only so much I can multi-task while on the phone with customer. *sigh*

Comment

Try not to feel guilty. Anybody with half a functioning brain would've made a decision by now. I think eltf177 is correct: she will drag this on forever and then decide not to do anything. I would be so strongly tempted to shove her calls to the very bottom of my "To-Do" list.
                          Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I just realized there is a theme song for this thread.

Did You Ever Have to Make up Your Mind?
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Application still on hold with no progress and more time spent explaining the same things over and over. As a new feature, the spouse got on the phone to have things explained to him. Didn't seem to help.

Spoke with the 1st mortgage originator who went over the 1st mortgage options with them and he stated "Are they able to sign for a loan? Like, mentally?" He said this in an email to me, which I would not have done as I take extreme care that I never say or type anything that I cannot explain to a manager if I was called out on it. He also laughed when I sent him a copy of the write-up I did to explain the options on paper, for the customers to go over with a loan officer at a branch, since I cannot meet with them in person. He thinks I wasted more time, but I suppose I am stubborn at trying my best, which is why I've allowed so much time to be sucked away already. Still, I managed a five minute conversation earlier today!
                              Last edited by bankworking; 01-28-2017, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X