This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How sucky is this?

I don't post here often, mostly because my customers tend to be generic sucky, rather than anything specifically funny. But I love reading, and I'm kind curious on this one.

I work for an anti-virus company, I'm supporting free software that you can get if you use a certain ISP. (I'm not sure how specific I can get while I'm still working here.) Most of our calls deal with helping people walk through the download, but we aren't allowed to stay on the line because it can take half an hour or so to complete.

On top of this, I have closing scripts that I have to say, or I can get in trouble. It takes twenty seconds, tops, to get through this.

My problem is that I get out "Unfortunately, I cannot stay on the line while you finish this download, but-" when customers cut me off. "That's fine" is the most common, but I've gotten "Okay, I understand, but I just have one question about [insert random obscure issue here]" etc. and it pisses me off. Is it really so hard to let me get out "-we'll have a case open for the next three days, and you can find assistance on [company's help website] as well."

Am I right to be annoyed?

*Bonus SC*
    This guy was sucky. We have to get the ISP email address to verify that you are a customer before we can help you. (Generic you.) If you don't have that, we can't help. If you have paid for your software, we can't help.

Guy calls in, needs to enable his firewall. Doesn't have an email address. I tell him that I'm not supposed to help him, but I will as a courtesy this one time since he is a customer of the ISP. He then says that he has a paid subscription. Oops, I can't help him anymore, and I tell him so.

SC: "Oh no no nononono. That's not acceptable. I have been having a lot of trouble with this, and you need to help me."

Me: "I'm sorry sir, you'll have to call the main office to get assistance with that, the number is xxx-xxx-xxxx."

SC: Nastily "Fine." Click.

Me: (thinking) Dipshit.

Quoth nekoro View Post
    My problem is that I get out "Unfortunately, I cannot stay on the line while you finish this download, but-" when customers cut me off. "That's fine" is the most common, but I've gotten "Okay, I understand, but I just have one question about [insert random obscure issue here]" etc. and it pisses me off. Is it really so hard to let me get out "-we'll have a case open for the next three days, and you can find assistance on [company's help website] as well."

I don't know about right to be annoyed but I also find this incredibly annoying so I see where you're coming from. But I'm a naturally grumpy person so...

I can understand why a user wouldn't want to call back for some quick question. The problem is that usually that minor question turns into several more questions and you're on the phone for the next hour with them discussing the supposedly "quick" questions...that gets really old really fast, especially when every other caller you get is doing that.

Comment

I think it's less that the customer had a little question, but that they can't be bothered to shut their stupid pie holes until the rep is done speaking.

Comment

Quoth nekoro View Post

I think it's a common courtesy when speaking to someone to not interrupt. That's a pet peeve of mine - having someone either interrupt or talk over me. So yes, I think it's ok to be annoyed. Now, I wouldn't tell the customer to shut the hell up so you can finish speaking or anything (that's usually what I'm thinking)...

Comment

Working...
        X