Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the longest time, I thought I was some kind of anomaly. All the girls were interested in boys, or cheerleading/sports, or if their hair looked better pulled this way or that way. Then the internet came along and I found my true home
    "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

I'm taking a web design class right now, and we had to present some pages that we developed to the class yesterday. I saw most of the guys in the class perk up when I noted that I played WOW. Then at the end, I asked if there were any questions, and one of the guys asked me if I had ever played Counterstrike. I think I could have them all eating out of my hand now, because I said that I didn't play any video games before I built my own computer since the PC's I had before that couldn't handle any games. I mean, it's not that uncommon to have girl gamers, and building a computer is easy if you put in the time to learn how to do it. Most girls could just care less.
      Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
      Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
      The Office

Comment

I've been playing video games since I was five and we had our first Nintendo. Even though I mostly just play wrestling games with an occasional dose of X-Men Legends or Sonic Mega Collection, I LOVE my old 2-D fighting games, especially King of Fighters. And MAN, do I miss the old RPG games like Chrono Trigger and Lufia. I lurves the cartoony graphics and long drop-down menus.

So, I might not know everything about the new games coming out, but that's not because I'm a chick, it's because I'm very, very old school. Ask me how to beat the Sinistrals or what the code is to unlock debug mode in Sonic 2 and I'll chatter for hours.
        "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

I love it when I meet a girl who is into gaming like I am. Bonus points if one is addicted to Final Fantasy, Sonic, and the FIFA series. I once met this girl who looked like the stereotype trend girl but when we were heading out to her car for lunch I saw a bunch of FF posters in the back seat. I asked and she grins and says "I'm a closet nerd."

A lot of guys need to get over that mentality.
          The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
            I LOVE my old 2-D fighting games, especially King of Fighters. And MAN, do I miss the old RPG games like Chrono Trigger and Lufia.

Ask me how to beat the Sinistrals or what the code is to unlock debug mode in Sonic 2 and I'll chatter for hours.
            Hear, hear.

Thanks to the advent of IMs, I've found about an equal amount of girls who played video games as guys. The problem is most guys who play games don't leave their house long enough to find them...
            "Oh, you hate your job? There's a club for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet down at the bar." ~Drew Carey

Comment

You ever want to run into a plethora of girl gamers, just hit up one of the better moderated game-related forums out there, such as the Gaming forum at Ars Technica, or the forum for GU Comics.

I've been gaming since before a lot of gamers out there were even born, starting out with the Atari 2600 back around '78. I was 6 or 7. Mmm.... Breakout, Kaboom, Yar's Revenge, Pitfall...

I just put a new hard drive in my system. The storage drive has developed some problem that keeps it from spinning up, and thus keeps the system from booting, for some reason. The idea of how much data I've lost depresses me. One of these years, I'll learn to do proper backups.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Atari and Intellivision is what I started on. The advent of the Internet was like the rapture. ;p

You speak as if there are many gamer females when in fact its more as if you're all concentrated in one place at the moment. The EB here use to be an awesome game store, lots of neat stuff, staffed by geeks that knew what you were talking about. Now the counter staff is ALL female but they seem to have been hired just for OMIGAWD A GIRL value. There never have a bloody clue when I ask them something.

I've stopped going there entirely. ><

I know you exist, but I've yet to meet one who's Shotokan is truly strong. I always maintained I'd marry the woman that could beat me at King of Fighters. =p Only one has tried thus far. She did fail. ^^

Comment

I'm a girl gamer too. Sometimes, when I go to the game store guys look at me weird, like "aren't you in the wrong store? The clothing store is next door." I just look at them back and continue shopping.
                  For the most part, I don't care about what everyone else is doing, or what is popular.
                  -Namie Amuro (Japanese singer)

Comment

Started mine with a Commodore 64! The old crust still works too! Jumpman Junior and Murder at Midnight 4 Da Win!

Oh man I would KILL to work in an EB... Surrounded by all these games, I'd probably be humping the bargain bin on my dinner hour...

And for the record, Hogan's Alley never made its way to my parts, but I do get to play the microgame on 9 Volt's stage...

Who else still has their copy of FF6 (FF3 American) in the original box with booklet AND map? I even have a copy of FFMQ in similar condition! (Like you need a map for a game more map-linear than Super Mario Bros. 3...)

Oh my gawd, I'm rambling.
                    Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

Quoth Shironu-Akaineko View Post
                      Surrounded by all these games, I'd probably be humping the bargain bin on my dinner hour...
                      Damn, even the bargain bin gets more action than I do.
                      Sometimes life is altered.
                      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                      Uneasy with confrontation.
                      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I'm one of two girls i know who play Warhammer Fantasy (or warhammer, period) at the local games workshop.

I never got THAT reactoin, but then again this is Canada.

I really did feel like 'one of the guys' when one of the EMPLOYEES passed gas and made a remark about it, in front of me (I didnt care, nobody else did either. We're all geeks and the innunendo abounds during games).

Im' still outnumbered at local Star Trek cons though.
                        Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

The games store I used to work at had 6 employees.

Three were women, including the manager AND assistant manager.

Comment

I don't worry about the looks anymore--I get them at video game stores, in comic shops and in record stores (especially when I look at anything hardcore or metal, which may be cause I tend to look rather preppy, especially when I'm working).

I will note that Gravekeeper has a point, as even G4 has succumbed to getting females that are nice to look at but not much going on upstairs, which happens at game stores and such around here as well. I often catch flak--I can't possibly really like fighting games or Halo, or be good at them, or read "cool" comics instead of just shojo manga, and so on, since I'm a relatively attractive female dressed in normal-preppy clothing.

Granted, if any of them saw me dressed for a show, they'd think twice, but still.
                            "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

When the local EBStop hired competent people, I became the darling of the store when I pre-ordered We Love Katamari. The discount card is also in my name. My husband and I both still have fans because we will pre-order the most obscure titles to ensure we get them.
                              A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

Comment

Quoth myswtghst View Post
                                I can't possibly really like fighting games or Halo, or be good at them, or read "cool" comics instead of just shojo manga, and so on, since I'm a relatively attractive female dressed in normal-preppy clothing.
                                A co-worker when I was first hired at my job would choose the most graphic, violent, goriest games we had. Could probably beat anyone in the store at it too.

But then again, she's a psychopath who taught me everything I know.

Surrounded by all these games, I'd probably be humping the bargain bin on my dinner hour...
                                Okay, if you're gonna keep teasing us like this, we want pics of you!
                                I AM the evil bastard!
                                A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
                                X