This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Anakah View Post
    They should be glad you ask for ID. It could be one of their cards stolen! People piss me off to no end. Idiots.
    Aye'up. When I worked at Staples I *always* asked for an ID. The signatures could be perfect but I would still ask for an ID. If someone complained I would always reply with 'Look at it this way, if your card gets stolen, and they try to use it here, I will ask for their ID".

Most either turned around (attitude wise) or ignored the comment, but it always shut them up.

The back of my cards say "CHECK ID" and I've actually been studying for over a year on who actually checks for ID and who doesn't (and I'm only talking about instances where the cashier asks for my card). I've actually seen people hold my card up to the receipt (I guess to compare signatures?) and hand them both back to me. Did they even look?

I do not mind one bit if they ask me for my ID (unless, of course, they know me like the guys at the Mexican place next to where I work). In fact, it makes me more willing to shop there again.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

I used to be a deputy sheriff, and can tell you that people driving cars when you pull them over are somtimes upset about being asked for ID, specifically driver's licenses. I asked someone for their DL once and they snapped why? I said because you are required to indentify yourself to me anytimer I ask for one, and you are required to show me your license if you are operating a motor vehicle. My favorite line was, "What are you doing, driving on my roads with no license?" A lot of times, those who could not or would not produce a license had had it revoked or suspended, and were really upset that I was going to stop them from driving. I loved telling them driving is a privilege, not a right, and you have to play by the rules.

Comment

I don't want to go searching for the citations, but it is a protected right in the US to be able to travel via conveyance upon public roads without requirement of a license so long as you are not doing so for commercial purposes.

However, federally funded roads are not included in "public" and to travel those roads, you are legally required to have a license.

However, anyone in the US who has a social security number is not protected by the Constitution or Bill of Rights, as you are actually a citizen of the federal government, and not a citizen of one of the states of the union.

It's really, really tricky, and it takes about 5 years and a lot of hassle to get rid of your social security number. You also lose access to federal programs, but you also don't have to pay in to federal programs. I used to know somebody who actually went through all the hassle. He's an activist, obviously.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
          You also lose access to federal programs, but you also don't have to pay in to federal programs. I used to know somebody who actually went through all the hassle. He's an activist, obviously.

^-.-^
          Does this mean I wouldn't pay federal taxes, since those are used to fund federal programs?

Comment

Quoth Jack7957 View Post
            Does this mean I wouldn't pay federal taxes, since those are used to fund federal programs?
            That would be correct.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
            X