Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You are not a cop, you don't need to see my ID!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You are not a cop, you don't need to see my ID!

Yes, you heard right. When I worked at Home Depot. A customer had his credit card and i asked nicely for his ID. He then asks me, "are you a cop?". And I said, "no". He then goes off saying that I don't need to see his drivers license. I called over my head cashier but before she came over, he changed his mind and used the same card as a debit card. ( It was one of those debit/credit cards but he used the card for credit).

Anyone ever had a customer like that?

I've not had any customers like this, but then I've only worked retail twice and at the hotel I worked at I had to see ID for you to get into the room for insurance reasons and to prove that you were 18 or older as a minor can not enter into a legally binding contract and most people were very understanding there when I explained that.

On a side note, you should really ask to see ID on any transaction paid with an electronic form of payment, check, credit or debit card does not matter. Especially if they use those new pay pass things, the tap and go credit payements. I hate those and refuse to get one as they are very insecure in my opinion. Anyway, whether you realize or the SC realizes it or not you are doing them a favor by asking for their ID. I've had a few friends go through situations where they had their bank card numbers stolen and they had to fight to get the money back. In fact the bank still hasn't cleared all of the fraudulent charges even though they can show a time line where they were making a purchase at home and one of the fraudulent purchases is in Canada somwhere in the BC which is over 1000 miles away from here.

So just remember everyone, if you work in a situation like this always ask for ID, and I personally have made it a campaign to thank people who ask for my ID when I use my card. This is something that should be and sadly is not a common practice.

Comment

This used to burn me, too, when I worked retail. People don't understand that as a retail merchant, you are not REQUIRED to take a credit card or check as currency, we do so as a courtesy to our customers. As a courtesy to the merchant, so that they aren't overly burdened by bounced checks and according to the user agreement with the credit card companies, the merchant needs to ask for ID.

It depended on my mood, but if the customer was a total ass when they said that, I would say in return, "Then I don't need to take your check/credit card, do I?"

Comment

Quoth Blisskat View Post
        This used to burn me, too, when I worked retail. People don't understand that as a retail merchant, you are not REQUIRED to take a credit card or check as currency, we do so as a courtesy to our customers.
        Technically, you're not required to accept legal tender, either. You could require all payments to be made in green M&Ms if you had it posted somewhere prominant.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
          Technically, you're not required to accept legal tender, either. You could require all payments to be made in green M&Ms if you had it posted somewhere prominant.

^-.-^
          WAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Sorry, I only accept blue M&Ms because that's my favorite M&M color.
          The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post

^-.-^
            Provided the person does not owe you money. If they intend to buy something, then you can charge whatever currency you want. But if they owe you for products recieved or services rendered, then you have to accept legal tender (cash).

Comment

Actually Blisskat, if you ask for ID with all credit card transactions, you are in danger of loosing your Visa processing capabilities:

Straight from the "Rules for Visa merchants" handbook at http://usa.visa.com/download/merchan..._merchants.pdf

" Although Visa rules do not preclude merchants from asking for cardholder ID, merchants cannot make an ID a condition of acceptance . Therefore, merchants cannot refuse to complete a purchase transaction because a cardholder refuses to provide ID . Visa believes merchants should not ask for ID as part of their regular card acceptance procedures ."

HOWEVER, if they write See ID on their card, you also cannot accept it. On the back of every card is the text "Not Valid Unless Signed." You are actually supposed to ask for Valid ID and have the customer sign their card, or ask them to pay with a different card.

Just saying....

*ducks as rotten veggies are thrown*

Comment

I had a guy gripe and complain when I asked to see his ID after he forgot his PIN # and wanted to run the transaction as credit. I told him that anyone could use his card and say that, "oops, I forgot my PIN, can I do it credit?"

Anyway, it's not MY fault he was irresponsible enough to forget it, but it would be my fault if I ran the transaction for stolen identification.
                Check out my cosplay social group!
                http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

Comment

I really don't understand why people refuse to show ID. What's the big deal? Doesn't it sort of help keep people from using your card if it's stolen?

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                    I really don't understand why people refuse to show ID. What's the big deal? Doesn't it sort of help keep people from using your card if it's stolen?
                    Thank you!
                    Hello!
                    It takes about 5 seconds to whip out that ID and verify who you are and it's for the customer's protection.
                    Why some people freak out over being asked just baffles me.
                    If I'm asked, I GLADLY hand it over. I don't care if the credit card company has rules against it (which doesn't make any freakin' sense...).
                    ~~*

"No! You can take the kids, but you leave me my monkey." - WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY

Comment

It's a damn shame customers don't realize how suspicious they make themselves look when they refuse to show their IDs!
                      "I used to be Snow White... but I drifted."~Mae West

Comment

That's been one of my biggest problems at work lately. Apparently I'm the only cashier that tells people about the policy of checking IDs if they buy 100 dollar or more gift cards. The guy who went off on me the other day was screaming that I was the only one who ever asks. Several other customers have said the same thing.

Comment

Quoth groceryhorror View Post
                          Actually Blisskat, if you ask for ID with all credit card transactions, you are in danger of loosing your Visa processing capabilities:

Straight from the "Rules for Visa merchants" handbook at http://usa.visa.com/download/merchan..._merchants.pdf

" Although Visa rules do not preclude merchants from asking for cardholder ID, merchants cannot make an ID a condition of acceptance . Therefore, merchants cannot refuse to complete a purchase transaction because a cardholder refuses to provide ID . Visa believes merchants should not ask for ID as part of their regular card acceptance procedures ."

HOWEVER, if they write See ID on their card, you also cannot accept it. On the back of every card is the text "Not Valid Unless Signed." You are actually supposed to ask for Valid ID and have the customer sign their card, or ask them to pay with a different card.
                          Proof that credit card companies do not care about the consumers. Which is really odd because most of their money comes from our finance charges and any fraudulent usage of our own cards only makes them lose money (but they still get the fee from the retailer).

Quoth Rubystars View Post
                          That's been one of my biggest problems at work lately. Apparently I'm the only cashier that tells people about the policy of checking IDs if they buy 100 dollar or more gift cards. The guy who went off on me the other day was screaming that I was the only one who ever asks. Several other customers have said the same thing.
                          At least you ask. My cards all say "CHECK ID" on the back and I'm rarely asked (and I don't count places that know who I am). I get annoyed when I am asked, it tells me that the store does not care about my security.

I've even see some people hold my card up to my signature (yes, the one that says "CHECK ID") and hand my card back to me with no comment.
                          Quote Dalesys:
                          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

If the cashiers were doing their job and asking for ID when using a credit card my husband's credit card would not have been charged $1200 at McDonalds (they probably started small to see if they could get away with it), Farmer Jack's grocery and Wal-Mart without his knowledge!!

I always ask for ID at my restaurant when they pay with credit card and they are not a "regular" that I "know." Most people do not mind, in fact on the back of some cards there is no signature, just: "ask for ID".

I've only had a couple people get crabby with me for asking, and when I tell them of my husband's experience they shut up.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                              But, it's only a big deal because they have to show that they are who they say they are. On the other hand, if their card was actually stolen and used for $5,000 worth of stuff, then that same person would bitch and complain that nobody requested positive ID. "I want it both ways!"

Comment

Working...
                              X