• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lovely. That's pretty damned big!

Comment

Quoth Minflick View Post
      Lovely. That's pretty damned big!

That's what she said...
      The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Almost too busy laughing to remember why I'm typing.

From my experience, micro chips migrate because the body is trying to expel the foreign object. They usually do find somewhere to stay and they never seem to cause discomfort to the critters. My main issue with them is that all scanners don't work with all chips. Our rescue group has 3 different scanners we use and even then, sometimes we miss a chip.

I like the green tattoo (which is usually just a small cut with a sharp knife and then green dye smeared in...no edgy tattoo guns used), it helps vets identify fixed critters who haven't been ear tipped.

BTW, puppy has disappeared and I have NO idea what happened. Its been 3 days and no reaction from crazy lady that I have witnessed or heard of. Again, I have NO idea what happened, but I am able to reassure everyone that pup (who's name is Benji *puke*) was not eaten by coyotes or hit by a car.

Comment

THIS IS THE POST I HAVE BEEN AWAITING! YES, the puppy "disappeared"!!! Celebrations abound! Puppy in Witness Protection with a name-change in the future...

Slave to the Phone

Comment

What Yurimaru said! "Witness Protection" . . .

Comment

you guys are so sweet! I don't do rescue work for praise, and many people think its a stupid waste of time and money.

I do appreciate your words though, thank you.

Benji is the name pup was given by the foster home. We don't know his name, and he's so happy to be clean and groomed (tangled mess with burrs and twigs twisted around) and with nice people that all you have to do to make him start wiggling with joy is to look at him. Say a word, any word in a nice voice and he's all over you

Next project is a large, orange fluffy cat we have seen hanging around. I think its a female because it doesn't have those fat tom cat cheeks. Its been a mild winter and there is starting to be enough light for her to go into heat. Trap is set, fingers crossed that she likes the stinky fancy feast she's been getting every evening enough to risk getting into a mesh box.

Comment

When I got my first puppy we got him vaccinated, desexed and microchipped and he actually scratched his chip out! I found a little capsule on the ground next to him one day after he'd been scratching and my dad realised that's what it must have been. The vets remicrochipped him for free but I didn't know that was a thing that could happen, he wasn't even really scratching that hard at the time.
                DA| Youtube|Twitter

Comment

My guess would be that it wasn't put in properly, and was stuck partly in, or wholly in the fur, and the needle caused a small itchy wound and the pup then scratched it out. Improper technique with injection, and more importantly, withdrawing of the needle can bring the chip back out from under the skin if you aren't careful. I've done it, although not for a long time.

If the puppy had really scratched the thing out when it was properly placed, you'd have seen a LOT of blood on him!

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                    ...he's so happy to be clean and groomed (tangled mess with burrs and twigs twisted around) and with nice people that all you have to do to make him start wiggling with joy is to look at him.
                    So the idiot neighbor let his coat get all messed up? She's got no business owning pets. The dog's better off without her.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I'm kinda surprised Crazy Neighbour hasn't decided to take some revenge on you, Slave. Surely by now she must have a good idea who's behind all this "meddling" ...

Glad to hear the puppy is safe and sound and a long ways away. A small white dog ... no protective colouration ... yeah, that's just a snack minus the cellophane.

And yes, she's an idiot. Genuine breeders spend a ton of money on animals with a verifiable pedigree and they take care of them. Letting them run loose doesn't qualify at all.

My one cat has a tattoo in his ear but who can read it anymore? He's not chipped and I haven't bothered to get him chipped since I am normally an apartment-dweller, and currently back in an apartment. I am on the 14th floor and the only way for him to "disappear" at this point would not mean I'd be looking for a runaway kitty ...
                      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                        I'm kinda surprised Crazy Neighbour hasn't decided to take some revenge on you, Slave. Surely by now she must have a good idea who's behind all this "meddling" ...(
                        I know that I can be pretty loud here, but irl, I am very low key about my TNR operation. Even though what I am doing actually does help with the fighting, noise and spraying, people often don't understand that I am not "inviting" every feral in 10 miles to eat free food. Rather than explain to close minded people over and over again, I just don't let it be widely known what I am doing in my own yard, behind a privacy fence and locked gates.

CN is actually feuding with the neighbor who is kinda kitty wampus from both of us. Nice guy, has 3 large and very obviously pampered dogs, who loudly tells everyone he can to rescue dogs. (He's not the one who nabbed Benji, btw. It was the undocumented guy who lives next to the dog guy, who has no pets.)

Benji has found his forever home with a nice, retired lady who has a fenced yard and lost her last dog due to old age 6 months ago. It sounds like a good match.

Comment

Ah, I see. Smart move about the low profile! Those poor things need somebody to help them, especially if their owners (if they even have owners) are too stupid to do so.
                          Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                            It was the undocumented guy who lives next to the dog guy, who has no pets.)
                            I am going to assume that by "undocumented" you mean you haven't mentioned him here.
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Crazy neighbor update: She is moving out. I don't know where she is going yet, but I'm still working on that. Somebody needs to monitor her "pets" because she obviously won't do it herself. She left her cat, but took her empty carrier with her.

Kitty went to adoptions on Friday and already has someone interested.

I got the big orange kitty, he was TNR'd. Also took a nice gray striped male to adoptions, TNR'd a black female, placed her 4 kittens with a crazy old man who will hand raise them and turn them into nice kittens that will find good homes.

Currently, we have a short haired orange male in a cage in the barn. That cat won the lottery when we trapped him. A few days prior, he got injured (probably got hung up jumping over a chain link fence) and ended up with an umbilical hernia and a piece of intestine outside his body.The pic the vet showed me of the wound was very alarming.

The vet said that the wound was infected, and that kitty probably wouldn't have lived longer than another week without medical help.

Kitty got fixed, tipped, lots of shots and had his belly fixed. We will keep him for a week and then let him go. He's totally feral and will never be a cuddle cat.

Due to the kindness of strangers, kitty's surgery was paid for by 2 different rescue groups. The cost to us is a couple of bowls of food and some kitty litter. Kitty will hate us forever, but we will get over it.

Comment

Yay for rescuing kitties, even the ungrateful ones! XD

Comment

Working...
                                X