This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grammar Girl Podcast - Might explain weird customer pronouciation of words

Grammar Girl podcast on how us Canuks really pronounce certain words... what I found really interesting is her explanation at the end of the podcast on why people think we pronounce "about" as "aboot" etc. when in fact we really don't. I am thinking it also explains the weird ways customers sometimes pronounce words when asking for stuff.

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/edu...ronounce-about
    There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Might it have something to do with the fact that you call it 'pronouciation' in your country
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
      Might it have something to do with the fact that you call it 'pronouciation' in your country
      I assume you meant 'pronounciation', in which case, what do people in other countries call it?
      Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Nope...I was referring to what she called it in the title :P
        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I'm following now, how about we blame that on cat/distraction?
          Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Quoth NecessaryCatharsis View Post
            I assume you meant 'pronounciation', in which case, what do people in other countries call it?
            pro-nun-see-a-shun

Comment

You know this reminds me of the time my Yooper accent was really heavy and some guy thought I was saying terrorist when I was saying tourist.

Comment

Quoth ComputerNecromancer View Post
                pro-nun-see-a-shun
                Heh. I've been spoiled by autocorrect on my phone!
                There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Quoth It's me View Post
                  Grammar Girl podcast on how us Canuks really pronounce certain words... what I found really interesting is her explanation at the end of the podcast on why people think we pronounce "about" as "aboot" etc. when in fact we really don't.
                  Probably the same reason Americans pronounce "floor" as "flaw". Hey, what do you mean people in Brooklyn, Michigan's Upper Peninsula, Georgia, and Texas all have different pronunciations?
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I Love you right now Wolfie.

Comment

Yeah, well, you didn't hear the TV announcer on a commercial here once say "Out and about in a boat." It came out more like "oat and aboat in a boot."

I'm sure it depends on the part of Canada the person is from. We get commercials from Eastern Canada (Toronto, Hamilton, etc) here.
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Hey! Toronto isn't in Eastern Canada - we're in Central Canada (Eastern Canada would cover the Maritimes and Newfoundland). Of course, when the Globe and Mail wants to find out how people in Eastern and Western Canada feel about a certain issue, they send reporters to Pickering and Mississauga.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I just saw a picture of a receipt where the customer wrote that they reduced the tip they gave the waitress because 'you don't correct a customer's grammar, even if you happen to be right!' The waitress explained that the customer ordered the salmon but pronounced it just like that - 'sal-mon.' The waitress simply confirmed the order back but used the correct pronunciation. So now we have to humor idiots so their feelings don't get hurt!?!
                          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I had never actually heard the term "accent tag" before this. Neat.
                            Quoth LillFilly View Post
                            'you don't correct a customer's grammar, even if you happen to be right!'
                            I'd like to send a message to that customer: "Not grammar. Pronounciation." Hardly a correction, just an expression of different ways of saying it.

Quoth wolfie View Post
                            Probably the same reason Americans pronounce "floor" as "flaw".
                            OK, color me intrigued. Where do people actually say it as "flaw"...?
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Down south, the new roommate and ex-friend of mine says it that way when he's upset. From Louisiana.

Comment

Working...
                              X