This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with wi-fi in my new house. . .

If I could ask some technical advice about wi-fi in a house.

My family has just moved into a new house this week*. The old house we lived in was 1 story and about 1200 sq ft, and the cable modem/router could reach the entire house (especially the parts we had computers in) easily.

The new house is 2000 sq ft, 2 stories, and has a lot more coverage issues. We don't have a place that we can easily hook up the modem/router and get coverage everywhere. Right now we have it so we have coverage in the living room so the main TV can get Netflix. . .but that leaves the computers in the bedrooms without (reliable) wi-fi.

Wi-fi beyond the living room is sketchy at best, my computer can connect to it, but it's very low bandwidth and high latency, even routine web surfing is questionable at best, much less the MMORPG's I play. Snaking CAT5 around the house would be awkward to say the least.

The cable company has said to put separate cable modems/routers in the rooms with computers would each cost an entire separate internet plan (i.e. ~$70/month, plus cost of the modem), so that's right out.

Right now my desktop is running on tethering to my cell phone, but my plan isn't unlimited so this is a temporary fix at best.

I'm asking everyone for solutions for getting robust coverage throughout the house. I've heard about signal boosters/relay devices, but I'm not sure what kind I need or if that's what I need.

*My long-running thread about how I was fired illegally from my government job for taking time off for military duties? Yeah, the settlement/back pay I got from that a few months ago basically bought my family a new house, this is about that house.

My first two thoughts.
    1. Wireless repeaters. They are not great for you heavy traffic systems. Probably want to hard wire the MMORPG system.

2. Add wireless access points, hard wired back to the cable modem. I would still hard wire the MMORPG system.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Eero.

Please look at Eero.com

If you can afford it... Which you sound like you can...

This mesh network for your Wi-Fi is probably the BEST thing you will find sort of a Pro level installation.

Comment

Hard-wire what you can. I'd be tempted to run a CAT-5 or CAT-6 cable from the location of the cable modem to the other side of the house, and put a second wifi router there. Could be on the difficult side, depending on the construction of your house and exactly where the cable needs to go.
        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
          ... Could be on the difficult side...
          Apply some HEAT from a bazooka...
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Not recommended for household renovations.

At least, not if you want to continue living in the place...
            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Seconded on running a hardwire to the MMO system; wi-fi can turn even a 40-ping location into a slideshow at times x.x

Another option to look at is the sort of internal network that runs through your power sockets in the walls. Has anyone out there had experience with these, good or ill?

Keep in mind that, with wireless booster boxes, having line of sight from one unit to the next is a good idea; also, look out for things which can block the signal -- e.g. walls in general, especially brick walls; desks (being underneath them never helps); also, have them placed as high up as possible.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                ... sort of internal network that runs through your power sockets in the walls...
                We have used them a little.
                For IP cameras in (2) elevators, 15 floors, kinda worked.
                To get through 80' of underground conduit to the pool party house, pretty good.
                Needs to be on the same phase power. Most US homes are 2 phase 120V (240V between phases).
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Repeaters are probably your easiest best (which reminds you, I need to set one up here), walls have a habit of interfering, especially in older houses. Mine's only one floor, but I'm seeing the same problem, by the time you get here which is only across the hall from the living room, you get a mere 2 bars. I'm thinking of digging out my old router and setting it up as a repeater, or possibly just moving the current one to another spot, luckily the cable outlet is on the nearest wall to this room, so I have the option of moving it closer. Still, a repeater would be a good thing, though I'm looking in 802.11AC first as my new computer can use that, I'm just not sure its worth the expense.
                  Seph
                  Taur10
                  "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

You have three main options:

(1) Wireless range extender(s). These have a bad rep mostly because people use them wrong... They'll plug one in at the far end of the house, where reception is bad, and reception will still be bad. You have to place it halfway to the far point, where it can get reasonable reception, and then its own coverage will extend to the far point. Do note that some may be better than others, and it does tend to cut down on the total wifi bandwidth (though this will still usually beat your internet bandwidth).

(2) Power line network extender. These devices will plug into your outlets and ship bandwidth through the power lines in your house. When used properly they can work very well.

(3) Running ethernet to a 2nd WAP in your house. You'll need to buy network cable and tools to add the connectors (or find a friend who has the tools). This would give you the best network performance and most reliable connection if you can do it.

Comment

Working...
                    X