This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've bitten off way more than I can chew

I need help. Desperately. Please don't laugh at me.

So here's the deal. I've recently gotten myself into a major project. I somehow became the Person In Charge of said major project. Project really needs a website. When Project was new, several people volunteered to help build said website. So far, everybody has flaked on this point.

I really need at least a skeleton of a website up and running as soon as possible. Now that wouldn't be such a big deal if I knew the first thing about building a website. So here I am trying to do basically everything (write proposal papers, ramp up support for Project, find a fiscal sponsor, apply for all the appropriate permits from the national park service, etc.) and teach myself how to build a website. Oh, and did I mention I was in the hospital half of last week and doing this shit from a hospital bed and I'm still not completely recovered? I got yelled at by a nurse for calling Washington DC from my hospital bed. Oops.

Yeah, so if anybody out there can point me to a place that can walk me through building a website 101 in language your average 8 year old could understand, I'd be really appreciative. I've already purchased the domain and the web hosting (all from DreamHost, because that's the place several people recommended), so I think I'm set there.
    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

I'm not super experienced with web design but WordPress seems like an ideal solution for you. They have many ready-made templates. I've only used their blog option, but it was very easy to use.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Agreed on WP and the like. They will automate the vast majority of the website-making for you, and offer (more or less) drag-n-drop image placement. Generally pretty straightforward.

As for the working from a hospital bed...O_O Are they making you do this (or even suggesting it)? They'd better be paying you, but it still doesn't sound like a good idea when you probably need the rest...
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post

As for the working from a hospital bed...O_O Are they making you do this (or even suggesting it)? They'd better be paying you, but it still doesn't sound like a good idea when you probably need the rest...
        This is a purely volunteer project that I want to do.I could quit tomorrow and be done with it with no ramifications to me except that I wouldn't have done something that I really, really, really want to do.
        At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

wix.com is a hosting site that provides tools and templates for quick web design.
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I think the first question is what do you need in a site?
            For my bowling league when they were considering a web site (they decided it wasn't necessary), we played with Tumblr as a platform. You can use a custom domain name with it, and links in the header were provided for things like how to join and where we bowl. You can do some customization as far as lay out, background, fonts and the like. For the league this would've worked fine as most of what we needed to do was announcements, special events, team standings, and such.
            Seph
            Taur10
            "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

I've already purchased the domain name and hosting, and it uses wordpress (I think that's how to phrase it).

Basically I need a site that's at least several pages. I need an "about us" that includes a description of who we are, our mission statement, and our goals, another page that delves into our goals more in depth, will all claims being well cited. As The Event grows nearer, we'll need additional pages for information on Event details, times, people involved, etc. I can't explain more than that without going more into detail about what The Event actually is, which I do not want to do at this time.

I'm going to try this WordPress thing. Wish me luck. Thanks.

Comment

Good luck!

I've found WP can be quite easy to use for the basic stuff, as you describe. You just need the content to plug in there. There are a bunch of free "themes" (site designs) out there, as well!
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I'll add this, too...

https://www.w3schools.com/

https://www.tutorialspoint.com/html/

https://www.tutorialspoint.com/css/

Those should help for customization and such...but to echo others, some place like Wix.com or WordPress is probably your best best right now.
                  Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

No personal experience with it, but check into squarespace.com lots of people I know swear by it.
                    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Working...
                    X