Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I often say that while a lot of people give gifts out of a heart of goodwill, some strive to be the best gift-giver evah, which is born out of their own arrogance. It becomes about them and how awesome they are at giving, rather than the giftees. These are the people who break down doors and steal stuff out of others' carts and knock our 17-year-old female cart girl to the ground. I bet a good many of them will show up at midnight.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I'm staying home after I've had to work on Black Friday in the past, so I spend the days before Thanksgiving stocking up on things so I don't have to go out for a few more days. One thing I could say is that the employee is lucky they don't work at one of the retail stores that are open on Thanksgiving, as they expect employees there to give up their holiday time with family to show up to work.

On the other hand, I think it's good that someone is standing up to the Black Friday madness, as it's gotten out of hand. A few years ago, the police had to be called because of a near fist fight in the Sears parking lot over a parking space on Black Friday morning. I live a block away from the local Target, and I can imagine how packed that parking lot is going to be at midnight this year, since it fills up as soon as the Target opens and remains that way until it closes on Black Friday.

Comment

I don't go anywhere on Black Friday, usually. I usually take a floating holiday to make it a four-day weekend, which I requested but I'm not sure if I'm going to get to take it. My coworker also asked for it, and she has a doctor's appointment which I don't want her to change for me (she's 7 months pregnant), and our boss is taking off, too. We can't all be out, but it'll probably be pretty quiet, at least. I'll probably spend most of it reading if I have to work.
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Fuck Black Friday. I can get a sale any day of the year in a store, why the hell would I wanna go through hell finding a parking spot, dealing with crowds and idiots trying to get a sale when I can go to any sale in the store any day of the year or even better online than this Black Friday bullshit. I think the retailers are going too far with opening up their stores earlier for the Black Friday sales.
          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
            I often say that while a lot of people give gifts out of a heart of goodwill, some strive to be the best gift-giver evah, which is born out of their own arrogance. It becomes about them and how awesome they are at giving, rather than the giftees. These are the people who break down doors and steal stuff out of others' carts and knock our 17-year-old female cart girl to the ground. I bet a good many of them will show up at midnight.
            One of my former friends once bragged about how he was at a Black Friday doorbuster and there was only one of a digital photo frame left. He got there the same time a little old lady did. He boasted about how he ripped the photo frame from the lady's hands and tossed it to his cousin on the other side of the aisle, who ran for the checkout. I was like WTF you're bragging about being an asshole?
            Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Part of what bothers me about it is the early opening decisions are made by guys in suits in a tower somewhere, most of whom have probably never worked retail and are accustomed to getting the entire Thanksgiving weekend off.

They just don't know what it's like out there. They think in only one language: money.

Fuck the laws, Fuck ethics, fuck rules, fuck the employees, all that matters is making money.

I'm not saying making money isn't important, but you can make money while treating people fairly at the same time.
              "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

When I'm in power I'm going to make it a law that stores can open on holidays if they want to, but only the owners (or executives above District Manager level) are allowed to be scheduled to work.
                Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

WTF?! They get overtime pay and are complaining? My McDonalds is open 24 hours on Thanksgiving and we don't get a cent more than what we already make per hour! OMG and I've been volunteering for years to work on Thanksgiving. I'm not trying to say that anyone should have to work on Thanksgiving or that it doesn't suck, but I feel like a chump now. I could be working at Target, only have to work one hour on Thanksgiving Day and get overtime pay for it instead of working my job, making the same wage, and work ALL DAY!
                  Last edited by notlovinit; 11-17-2011, 11:57 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                    I'm not saying making money isn't important, but you can make money while treating people fairly at the same time.

Evidently not if other people insist on treating each other unfairly to give you that money--i.e. ripping that photo frame out of the old lady's hands.

I really don't blame retailers all that much for being open on holidays or opening earlier and earlier every Black Friday. I blame our society which is willing to sell out those holidays for cheap toys and Plasma TVs.

It's not a good sign when Thanksgiving is one of our busiest days in terms of sales per hour. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I believe last Thanksgiving we did about $60,000 in sales, which would be a busy day to begin with any time of the year. But this was all done in 10 hours instead of the 14 we're normally open. ><
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                      Evidently not if other people insist on treating each other unfairly to give you that money--i.e. ripping that photo frame out of the old lady's hands.

I really don't blame retailers all that much for being open on holidays or opening earlier and earlier every Black Friday. I blame our society which is willing to sell out those holidays for cheap toys and Plasma TVs.

It's not a good sign when Thanksgiving is one of our busiest days in terms of sales per hour. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I believe last Thanksgiving we did about $60,000 in sales, which would be a busy day to begin with any time of the year. But this was all done in 10 hours instead of the 14 we're normally open. ><
                      I agree with you Irv. Our culture of consumerism has gotten out of hand and retail workers and other service employees (you and me included) have paid the price.
                      "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                        I agree with you Irv. Our culture of consumerism has gotten out of hand and retail workers and other service employees (you and me included) have paid the price.
                        As I've told many people on facebook posting those "sign this petition for Target to stay closed on Thanksgiving"
                        No, I won't sign it, and neither should you, if you really want Target to not open on Thanksgiving night, THEN DON'T SHOP ON THANKSGIVING NIGHT! It's that simple, if people didn't show up, the stores wouldn't open. Let them open the doors to an empty parking lot and they won't do it again.
                        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Although I agree with the basic concept of this Black Friday madness needing to stop, I fail to see what effect this petition will or won't have. I went out once on Black Friday, to get a new cell phone for cheap, because my plan was due for renewal right then. I didn't get up at any ungodly hour to do it, so it really doesn't count. I have never had any interest in the early morning insanity. Sorry, I can probably find deals just as good as or better than those online. Just saying.
                          "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth Raveni View Post
                            Thanks for the article. I think that coming in at 11:00pm to do a midnight opening will allow the workers to enjoy most of their Thanksgiving. I'm glad that they are getting paid 2.5 pay for their time as well. Really, none of this will stop until people stop until customers stop participating in mad rushes for doorbusters.
                            OK, If I were my friend that works at mallwart, and I need to be at work at 11 pm, I need to leave the house at about 1015, which means I need to be up and showering at about 915, which means I need to hit bed at 1 pm, which means the turkeyday dinner needs to be at 11 in the morning ... what part of spending the day with family and managing to actually get the sleep needed to be functional is involved with this type of schedule?

I feel that this whole black friday bullshit really does need to stop.
                            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth notlovinit View Post
                              WTF?! They get overtime pay and are complaining? My McDonalds is open 24 hours on Thanksgiving and we don't get a cent more than what we already make per hour! OMG and I've been volunteering for years to work on Thanksgiving. I'm not trying to say that anyone should have to work on Thanksgiving or that it doesn't suck, but I feel like a chump now. I could be working at Target, only have to work one hour on Thanksgiving Day and get overtime pay for it instead of working my job, making the same wage, and work ALL DAY!
                              It's not a holiday. Thanksgiving ends at midnight. Target employees do not get holiday pay for that. Holiday pay notwithstanding, it's still sucky to make employees work Thanksgiving or come in at midnight on Black Friday.
                              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I start at 6 Thanksgiving night. Thanksgiving is a paid holiday in my company so I'll get a bit extra an hour for the 6 hours worked until midnight.

Plus I'll get an extra 7.5-8 hours on my next check because it is a paid holiday. I'll work 5 days but be paid for 6.

Plus possibly a bit of overtime depending on how overnight shifts break out. Yeah, my company is generous like that I guess.

I admit freely (heh) that this is why I don't view Black Friday quite so negatively. It is the one day of the year I'm guaranteed to be in pain, but the money is very good.
                                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                                X