Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not in retail, but they made it required for all of us to work "overtime" (extra hours, NOT ot because of the holiday) either during the week or the weekend following Thanksgiving.

So, to anyone who is following this babble of mine.....we are supposed to be off, but come back anyway to make up for that, but not be paid time and a half for it.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Our whole store has made our displeasure known to corporate. I'll still be there at 11:30pm at night to start my shift, though. My fear is that next year, some corporate suit is going to get the brilliant idea of being open on Thanksgiving Day just like Wal-Mart-- and NOBODY in retail will have that day off.
      "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Hubby just said "F*** Black Friday. I'm fat, full, and want to sleep."
        Yeah, I never got the Black Friday madness, either.

From a friends FB status: "Starting to map out my Black Friday Shopping now. I take it very Seriously and YES I will run ahead of you to get the last one LOL. One day a year I can get REAL UGLY." Really? You get real ugly over stuff? And that' a quality you want to brag to the world about?

I try to do as little shopping as possible on holidays. Last year I had to run to the grocery store b/c Boss Man forgot an ingredient to cook something for the employee celebration (a bag of flour or something I think). Normally I avoid the stores at all cost. If it's not a really necessary service they're providing, I don't think people should have to work on the holidays. That's kind of the whole point of the holidays (at least to me).
        Last edited by bhskittykatt; 11-20-2011, 12:17 PM.
        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

This doesn't involve retail, but speaking of Black Friday..........for the past few years, whomever is in charge of our public transit system has apparently decided to consider it a holiday, so the buses (not sure about the light rail system) run on the "holiday schedule".

Comment

Quoth Raveni View Post
            I'm glad that they are getting paid 2.5 pay for their time as well.
            But it's only for one hour if they come in at 11...so if they make $8 an hour they're getting all of an extra $12 for dealing with all the madness. Not worth it to me.

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
            Really? You get real ugly over stuff? And that' a quality you want to brag to the world about?
            Having just moved today, I can emphatically say, I do not want more stuff. I will be happy to sell some to your friend.
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I am probably dumb enough for wandering out at all on Black Friday, just to drive to do my laundry at my folks (very early in the AM), and then for some lunch on the way home (big mistake I'm sure, more than certain that's when the power shoppers will want to eat).

BUT, no one is at the gym Black Friday, so it's kinda worth it.
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                One of my former friends once bragged about how he was at a Black Friday doorbuster and there was only one of a digital photo frame left. He got there the same time a little old lady did. He boasted about how he ripped the photo frame from the lady's hands and tossed it to his cousin on the other side of the aisle, who ran for the checkout. I was like WTF you're bragging about being an asshole?
                Glad to see that it's a FORMER friend of yours. People who'd do something like that are not only assholes, but stupid - how do they know that the burly biker guy 10 feet away isn't the little old lady's grandson?
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I have some socialite-type friends that actually plan out "battle plans" and camp out at the stores they "need" to hit first. *sigh* They think I'm crazy for staying home and not "enjoying the spirit of the holidays"

Sorry my holidays include relaxing with the family, not assaulting people over some knick-nack that will be forgotten in less then 5 minutes.
                  https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
                    I have some socialite-type friends that actually plan out "battle plans"
                    Mrs. TGK & I lay out strategies for the outlets malls. We have the shopping lists and coupons at ready. Not extreme couponing, mind you, but we have plans as the outlet malls are out of our way we have to have an agenda other than shopping/buying for its own sake.
                    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

This year is my first year working retail since 1995 and my first Black Friday since 94.

I never shopped that day that I can remember. I don't include getting my car fixed or getting groceries (late friday night). Others may count those but I don't.

This year it's different. I have a retail job and although I don't want to work on Black Friday I also want to get paid. I don't know if I'll get any overtime bonus and frankly don't actually expect it since I'm only working 2 days this week. Yes one of those days IS a 12 hour shift but... well I've done that before.

My thanksgiving plans are somewhat curtailed because of this... I probably won't drink much but I don't really need booze to celebrate. At least I'll be off before noon Friday morning and ... well I doubt I'll be in a mood to decorate like I normally would, I'll see... if anything I may find it hard to sleep right away.

I am however thinking of bringing a change of socks or two to freshen up my feet throughout the shift. Since I'll have 2 lunches i'll have time to change them out.

The one thing I'm not doing is complaining about it. I'm not going to bash those from target who want to do whatever in protest but... I know it's part of having my job too. And that everyone I work with is in the same boat. Except my manager... he's doing a split shift so I think he's doing 6-on-6-off for the day or two which can actually be worse sometimes.

And... if I'm lucky the time will fly. It does that on busy days so maybe it'll feel like a shorter day or something... or not. But it won't kill me. It never has before. (seriously i've done 12-on-12-off before... that's how my ship ran things on deployment. and when i was security in port. so yeah it could always be worse)

Comment

Ugh, this same issues was posted in the "Off Topic" area of another board that I frequent. This comment made my brain go "ka-blooey:"

Quoth Douchebag
                        Cry me a Fn river Target stock boy. Military members, safety officers, healthcare workers have been dealing with this since the beginning of time. If you don't want to work, don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you on the way out.
                        I tactfully tore that guy a new one. I mean, wow...comparing the importance of being able to shop as early as possible as something that is essential as national security?
                        "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

Quoth Giggle Goose View Post
                          I mean, wow...comparing the importance of being able to shop as early as possible as something that is essential as national security?
                          [SC mode] But don't you know that buying a lot of cheap stuff late on Thanksgiving night is just as important as not dieing? It's not like there is a football game on at that time. [/SC mode]
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Thankfully, in my working career I've worked manufacturing, grocery retail, used retail (Goodwill), and such like. This year, fast food. (Everyone is scheduled to work BF, I'm told. Odd...we're MILES from anything resembling a Wal-Mart, KMart, etc. Seriously. They're on the other side of town.)

In other words, I don't have to risk my sanity for SCs who have no sense of humanity.
                            Unseen but seeing
                            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                            3rd shift needs love, too
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Giggle Goose View Post

I tactfully tore that guy a new one. I mean, wow...comparing the importance of being able to shop as early as possible as something that is essential as national security?
                              Well sure. Members of the military can die while out doing their job.

Oh wait....
                              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

One of my coworkers just announced that she'll be shopping at midnight on Black Friday. I just shook my head and walked away. Doesn't she know she's part of the problem? Sure, she's got a cushy 9-to-5 now, but she used to work in retail. You'd think she'd get it.
                                "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                                -Mira Furlan

Comment

Working...
                                X