X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
    How does this change affect Fratching?
    Depends. If there's no option to take the forum forward and not lose posts etc, then I may put it up for sale at the same time - I'd be looking at getting out of hosting costs entirely, you see. However, I someone takes on CS as a going concern, so to speak, Fratching may be part of that deal.

Rapscallion

Comment

I've been here close to 10 years myself and I will definitely miss this place if it goes. I don't mind saying if I had the financial flexibility and technical know how, I probably wouldn't think twice about taking it over myself.

I'm thankful for everyone I've met on here over the years. From iradney to Dave1982 to Irv to Moirae to Argabarga and of course the legend: Gravekeeper. It's been one hell of a ride.

Raps, my hats off to you in doing an awesome job running this place. It's getting harder and harder to have a sane forum on the internet these days.

I suspect what lies at the heart of this site will continue on in some fashion even if this particular forum ceases to exist. After all, we peons will always need a spot we can vent about the insane gauntlet/obstacle course we call a job.

If this is the end of line, it's been awesome everyone. You all rock. If this isn't the end, I look forward to what the future holds.

But I've loved every damned minute of it.
      "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Wow. I hope the forum continues in some form. Mainly I love how focused all the mods are on keeping things civil and on-topic. Sometimes I find myself on other boards and am always so disgusted at what is posted for no good reason. I deleted* my FB years ago and would not consider joining again, even to rant about SCs. *sigh*

*I'm pretty sure they don't really delete it, but it is unused.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I'm on FB primarily to keep in touch with family & friends (both groups are fairly well spread out) . And the fact that I'm retired and don't care if people know who I am. I really hope that something can be worked out for this site though. I'd really miss it if it wasn't here.
          "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

I'll echo that I hope that a solution can be found, at least for Fratching and for the forums were. Sadly, there isn't much more I can do but hope.

That said, if the boards do continue onward, I would probably be willing and able to help with support going forward; both for the hosting and for any other updates that might be needed going forward.

Comment

I too wouldn't be following to FB. I have an account, but I keep my friends list super-short to keep things manageable and I'm not on there very often anyway (I visit like, maybe once a month), so it wouldn't be worth it to me.
              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                You'll be missed. There's a lot of people who'll be missed.
                I've been thinking of commenting on the Retail comic strip. I may just do that.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

My goodness! I'm glad I found this thread!

I found a website that estimates how much a website is "worth"...and I don't know what kind of offers Raps is getting...but CS is "worth" more than I thought, based on the website I used.

Good luck to him! I hope he gets what he's asking for...
                  Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Why not start a campaign on a crowdfunding site, like gofundme.com, and hand over site admin responsibilities to the mods?

Or better, yet, ask us for donations? I don't have Paypal, but I'm sure that others can help out.
                    cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

I could afford the site, even on the $150/mo quoted, and I have a technical background, but not specifically in php. I could certainly keep the lights on.

I don't know if I'm the person to revitalize the site, as Raps desires. I'm not very outgoing, and not much of a marketer (web or otherwise).
                      Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

I'm sure we can crowdfund between ourselves. Let's say £150/month-50 of us contributing £3 a month would not be a hardship for anyone I think.
                        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                          My goodness! I'm glad I found this thread!

I found a website that estimates how much a website is "worth"...and I don't know what kind of offers Raps is getting...but CS is "worth" more than I thought, based on the website I used.

Good luck to him! I hope he gets what he's asking for...
                          The first two sites I found through Google (high on the rankings) are massively overestimating the value, though apparently in similar ways. Others are far more moderate. In the end, something in worth what someone else will pay for it.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rana View Post
                            I wouldn't follow to FB either ... I don't trust work to not 'snoop' on my activities on FB.

Hopefully we can find someone to take over the site, or move elsewhere
                            I hardly look in on my FB page these days . . . considering deleting that account due to not feeling as if I can freely post as I've got quite a few coworkers showing up as friends there.

I am subscribed to the CS group . . . guess I need to look up the password for FB and log back in.

And I bought up Christmas cards for next year as well . . .keeping fingers crossed I'll get to use them.

This place is home for a lot of us. Myself, I've been around for 15 years or so now. Been through Mr. Slugger's time here, and have seen Raps' tenure. I hope someone does come along and we can still be around for some time to come yet.
                            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Wishing you the best of luck. This is a great forum.
                              I tried sniffing coke, but the ice cubes kept getting stuck in my nose.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                                I've been thinking of commenting on the Retail comic strip. I may just do that.
                                Would you use the same name? I don't really comment there, but I read it every day. I'll look for ya'.
                                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                                X