This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well Hell / Gotta Be An Adult

So I shoot local news in DC for a living. I enjoy message boards (like this one) because I enjoy good, human stories.

A few months ago I got bumped up to Assistant Chief Photographer. A little more money, a few more duties, no real power. Indeed what I have done with the job is become The Guy Who Talks With Everyone; all advice, all the time. As such I formed a great rapport with much of the staff.

So tonight while chest deep in loud music and cooking (my day off) I look and see our new photog has tried to call me several times recently. I return the call and discover:

She's in Baltimore
    She was assaulted twice in a march turned riot
    Her camera was broken

She was calling me to ask how to fix he camera...
    Bless you dear, F*** the camera, how are you doing? Ok? Good.
    Now get the hell out of there, my orders.

Thing is I don't technically have authority, though I'm pretty sure nobody is going to argue that the twice assaulted shooter needs to stay. Fortunately, beyond meeting the Chief to get another camera that was the plan and back to DC they went.

Anyway that was my night; I spent the evening doing chores watching the local stations cover the chaos. I'm pretty much on standby to go up there from here on out if needed.

I've done more than a few big riots in my 26 years; happy to go again. I know when to run away, screaming like a little baby...
    "Announcing your intentions is a good way to hear God laugh." Al Swearingen (Deadwood)

I hope everything turns out ok for your co-worker.

What turned the march into a riot?

Comment

She's fine. Like I said she called for advice on how to fix her camera - not worried about the assault thing. Somewhat of an occupational hazard.

The civil unrest stems from a death in police custody event from last week which is a big issue in the US at this time. Fortunately 99.9% of the protesters were quite peaceful, if vocal, and the police exercised far more restraint than was expected, so injuries and damage was remarkably light given the scope of the event.
      "Announcing your intentions is a good way to hear God laugh." Al Swearingen (Deadwood)

Comment

Quoth 2gigch1 View Post
        She's fine. Like I said she called for advice on how to fix her camera - not worried about the assault thing. Somewhat of an occupational hazard.

The civil unrest stems from a death in police custody event from last week which is a big issue in the US at this time. Fortunately 99.9% of the protesters were quite peaceful, if vocal, and the police exercised far more restraint than was expected, so injuries and damage was remarkably light given the scope of the event.
        I live in Northern VA and know exactly what this was all about. Haven't watched the news so didn't know about the riot, will probably see something in the papers which I'll read tomorrow...

Comment

Cool. Given the international nature of the board I went with fratch-free data deivery.

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
            I live in Northern VA and know exactly what this was all about. Haven't watched the news so didn't know about the riot, will probably see something in the papers which I'll read tomorrow...
            Yea, check multiple accounts- from what I can find out it's NOT really a riot, but more of a 'peaceful-if-angry' protest marred by some vandalism. Look for quotes frommthe police-apparently they commended the protesters for keeping the bad actors from getting out of hand.
            Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Burning buildings, throwing rocks, curfews, National Guard called out...yeah, I think it's now officially a riot.
              Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 04-28-2015, 12:28 PM.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

It has been interesting. They did institute a 3-man crew rule for the duration, and Tuesday & today have been quite calm. I think the worst is done.

Indeed the way the community rallied on Tuesday was very heartening. I wrote on another board about how people arranged on Facebook to show up at 11am on Tuesday to clean up, only to discover thousands of people from all over arrived spontaneously starting at 7am and had already cleaned up, so they started cleaning up vacant lots & stuff instead.

It was more like a street festival yesterday afternoon. One guy started throwing bottles around 2pm from the crowd; the crowd threw them out.

I just found I made the Baltimore Sun today (interviewing the Governor this morning) so that was cool.

Comment

Baltimore, eat a snickers. You turn into Ferguson when you're hungry.
                  If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

Quoth 2gigch1 View Post
                    It has been interesting.

I just found I made the Baltimore Sun today (interviewing the Governor this morning) so that was cool.
                    Are you the one holding the camera?
                    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Yup. My board name is common across the internet and I don't hide who I am, so it forces me to behave.

Which is a good thing.

Comment

Working...
                      X