This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bet you wanted the cop to hit you.

So I'm walking home; I had a later shift so it's dark out. I'm waiting at an intersection to cross, just as the lights change I see flashing blue lights coming down the road FAST; he's gonna hit the intersection right at the walk signal but I'm in no hurry so will wait for the next cycle.

Everyone else waiting to cross on all 4 corners also stops, save for one oblivious woman on her phone who decides to saunter diagonally across the intersection just as the cruiser gets to the traffic lights. Somehow, she makes it across (the cop had to slow down/weave to avoid hitting her and blips his siren; she glares at the cruiser and continues yakking on the phone).

She hits the sidewalk again on the corner I'm standing on, the person waiting next to me comments "Wow, that lady must not know what a police car is".

The cruiser was running lights-only (some weird noise ordinances in my town seem to prohibit sirens after dark), but if you're waiting to cross the street how could you NOT notice that? Especially at night? Unless she was even worse at gauging relative speeds than I am...but still. You see emergency lights hauling ass in your direction, move yer ass out of the way or stay out of the way!
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

She's lucky the cop had somewhere else to be, she could and probably should have been arrested for that.

Comment

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
      She's lucky the cop had somewhere else to be, she could and probably should have been arrested for that.
      That didn't stop this one ambulance driver I saw a few years ago. It happened in front of my work. It was a nice day out, so I decided to stand outside for a bit. The road in front of my building is two lanes in each direction. In one lane was a guy in a car, and in the other lane was an ambulance with all its lights and sirens going.

Just as the ambulance got close to the car, the driver of the car decided that that would be the perfect time to change lanes without signaling, and cut the ambulance off. One the guy realized what he did, he pulled over, but apparently the driver of the ambulance was so pissed off, he pulled over behind the guy to yell at him, despite the fact that they must have had somewhere important to be, judging by the fact that all the lights and sirens were on.

I couldn't hear what was being said, except I did year the driver of the car saying "I didn't see you!" Not sure who the bigger idiot was -- the guy who someone managed not to hear or see the ambulance and cut it off, or the ambulance driver who interrupted an important and possibly life-critical trip to engage in a road rage incident.
      Sometimes life is altered.
      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
      Uneasy with confrontation.
      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

One of the fire engines in my town has a few impressive dents in the front bumper...we can't help but wonder if they had occasion to "nudge" people out of the way (a vehicle that size could execute one hell of a pit maneuver).

It's one thing trying to run across during the day when you can see all the vehicles and know how fast everything is traveling, but at night? Even the kamikaze squirrels have more self-preservation.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
          One of the fire engines in my town has a few impressive dents in the front bumper...we can't help but wonder if they had occasion to "nudge" people out of the way (a vehicle that size could execute one hell of a pit maneuver).
          I think entering a gated community (or gated driveway) without ceremony is also a possibility.

Comment

Could be, one area of my town has a lot of gated McMansions.

Comment

I like to believe that those dents are from people who think it's OK to park or idle in the fire lane in front of a store just because their "emergency flashers" are on. Not even sitting in the car, either. The fire truck is a higher vehicular life form, dude. Don't take that bet; you WILL lose.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
              X